Excite ===> AT&T; can't get Google.com

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RogerB, Feb 21, 2002.

1. RogerB

RogerB Second Unit

My cable internet service provider switched from [email protected] to AT&T Broadband over the weekend. The change-over went smoothly and I can access all web sites except Google.com (I get a "server not found" error page). I called Tech Support and they were able to access Google.com so I know it's not Google but they had no idea what could be the problem. Told me to clear my cache and upgrade my browser. I did both (now using IE 6.0) but still no Google.

The funny thing is, about a year ago when I originally switched from AOL to cable I had the same problem. I called Tech Support and someone walked me through some settings changes that fixed the problem but I can't remember what we did.

Any ideas? THANKS!

2. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

A quick ping shows google's ip address is 216.239.37.100 - try using this link to Google instead. That will rule out any nasty DNS errors you might be seeing on the system.

3. RogerB

RogerB Second Unit

Ian,

Tech Support had me do that, too. I got the same "server not found" error.

4. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Try "ping www.google.com" and "tracert www.google.com" and see what you get.
    Also, try "nslookup www.google.com" to see if you are having a DNS problem. Are you running a firewall program? Try bypassing it temporarily to see if it's causing a problem.
    KJP

5. RogerB

RogerB Second Unit

Kevin,

OK, thanks! I'll try this when I get home. I'm not running a firewall.

What is a DNS problem, anyway?

6. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

DNS = Domain Name Service. In simple terms, it's what translates human-friendly names (like www.google.com) to a computer-friendly IP address (216.239.37.100). In reality, it's a lot more involved than that, but that's its main purpose in life.
    If you enter http://www.google.com into your browser, it's the same as entering http://216.239.37.100, assuming that IP address is Google's web server. If the latter works and the former doesn't, then you have a problem with DNS. It could be on your end (DNS not configured correctly in your network settings), or on their end (DNS entries not updated properly, server not up to date, or a caching issue).
    If http://216.239.37.100 doesn't work, then there is a problem with your system, or Google's server, or a router problem between you and them (the tracert command will indicate routing and any routing problems that occur).
    EDIT: One last thing to check is your Hosts file. If you're running Windows 95,98, or ME, you'll find it in C:WindowsHosts. On NT, 2000, or XP you'll find it in C:WINNTSystem32DriversEtchosts. Check to make sure you don't have any google.com references in there; if you do, delete them. Also, if you have your Windows installed on a drive other than C, check on that drive; I just used C: as a reference.
    KJP

7. RogerB

RogerB Second Unit

Kevin,

I think you may have hit it. I do remember putting something in my Hosts file for Google (someone on TechTV said it would make accessing web sites faster). I'll let you know. Thanks again!

8. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Adding web sites to your hosts file will speed things up a tad since it eliminates a DNS lookup, but if the IP of the site changes (say, because they move from one server to another), or a site is spread across multiple servers, the hosts entry will no longer work.

KJP