What's new

Exchange unopened Full Screen for Widescreen DVD? (1 Viewer)

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
One of my birthday presents was a Full Screen DVD version of "The Terminal" and I was wondering if there are any stores out there that would exchange an unopened Full Screen version for a Widescreen version of the same title without any hassles.

Paul

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I know Wal-Mart is able to do it. When I picked up my DVD of "Schindler's List" when it came out, I had inadvertently picked up the foolscreen version, but I was able to return it and exchange it for the widescreen version. No problem whatsoever! :)

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Considering that it was a present, I don't see why there should be any problem at all.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
Just about any store will take an unopened disc for either a refund or a store credit. For as much crap as Wal-Mart takes on these forums for some of their policies, their customer service is excellent. I'm sure they would allow you to make that exchange.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Well, I took it to Wal-Mart, told them I wanted to exchange the Full Screen "The Terminal" for the Widescreen version and they gave me a credit with no receipt.

The only problem I had was that when I went to buy "The Terminal" in Widescreen, I found that they only stocked the Fullscreen version.

The manager said that when DVD's like "The Terminal" come in, Wall-Mart usually gets a first shipment of both kinds to satisfy some, but then every future shipment is just Full Screen.

Can't get my money from the credit because I didn't have the receipt. So live and learn.

FYI - Target said: Recently, they now only stock the Full Frame versions of many movies.:angry:

Paul

svenge

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Svenge Guttensen
Once I bought the Wal-Mart exclusive "Field of Dreams" Anniversary Edition with the bonus 3rd disc shrinkwrapped on the outside (they only carried the Full-Screen version of the film at the time, lucky to find it at all) and then exchanged the still-shrinkwrapped FS main feature at Best Buy for a widescreen one... I know it's kinda iffy ethically, but there was no other way for me to get the 3-disc set in WS...

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
The closest I've done was I inadvertantly (yes, unfortunately) picked up the fool-screen CASPER when it came out. When I was about to break the shrink-wrap on it, I saw the dreaded words. I had the receipt; I had an unopened disc, but it was officially past Best Buy's return period.

Fortunately, the guy I talked to was okay about it; particularly since I had the receipt, I had the unopened disc, and I wanted the same title.

Leo

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
well, look at the bright side: you have credit for some other future WS purchase at WMs usually lower prices.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
svenge wrote:

Before I took the disk to Wal-Mart, I first went to Best Buy.

The lady at the Return & Exchange desk asked me for the receipt and I told her it was a gift and I just wanted to exchange it for the widescreen version. She told me if it was purchased at a Best Buy, there should be a label that Best Buy sticks on each case wrapper and even if it was peeled off, it should leave a mark.

She said that Best Buy's policy is not to exchange anything, especially DVD's if the customer can't prove it was purchased there.

So, I believe you two really lucked out! ;)

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks