Exchange for Denon 1600 ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SeanA, Mar 9, 2003.

1. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

I just purchased a Toshiba SD4800 progressive scan player with DVD-Audio... less than 1 week old. First thing I did was to stick in "The Lord of the Rings" and the picture was awesome in comparison to my old Toshiba non-progressive player. However, I have just started reading all the discussions on the picture quality of the Panasonic RP82 with the Faroudja chipset. And since it is no longer available, I have been looking at the Denon 1600 which seems to have the identical video processing hardware.

I have found where I can buy a "factory refurbished" Denon 1600 for about $100 more than what I paid for the Toshiba SD4800.

I just wanted to get opinions on whether the difference in PQ would make it worthwhile to try to sell or exchange the Toshiba unit (and probably take a loss) in order to get a refurbished Denon 1600 ??? Also, are refurbished units something to stay away from ?

2. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

I don't think you will get "That" much improvement from upgrading to a Denon 1600, the 4800 seems to be a pretty good DVD player in terms of PQ from what I have seen personally, if you use it for MP3s it performs very poorly. Does a decent job on DVD-A.

I've heard that Factory Refurbished Denon 1600 have bad waranties.

BTW, I am a Denon DVD 1600 owner and I love it.

3. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

Ya, I doubt very much that a huge difference would be noticed. The audio section on the Denon is far superior though.

4. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

Thanks guy !!!

Maybe I will just stay put with the Toshiba, and wait for the next wave of improvements... maybe an HD DVD player in a year or two. One can only hope and dream. [​IMG] And now that I have found this great forum, I know that I will be on top of things when it is time to upgrade.