Excessive percentage of coasters?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Danny Burk, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Danny Burk

Danny Burk Second Unit

Jul 10, 2005
    Hi folks,

I've had a Panasonic DMR-E80H for about 2 years, during which time I've had continual problems with errors when copying from the hard drive to DVD-R.

What sort of coaster percentage should I expect? It seems excessive that 20-25% of my copies are problematic. I normally copy in high speed (2x) mode (original recording to the HD being in SP mode), and I've had similar problems with many types of media. TDK, Philips, and other "good brands" result in the above percentage of errors; my first purchase, Memorex (I didn't know better!) was virtually unusable...I think it rejected 8 of 10 blanks.

While copying, if "Remain time" (i.e. remaining time for copying) continually shows 1 minute, anyplace into the recording, I know there's an error and I have to unplug the DVR to reset it. Occasionally, instead of the above, the status bar will stick near the beginning but "Remain time" continues to count down; this also results in a bad recording.

When either of these events occur, I unplug the DVR to reset it (the remote has no effect in stopping recording); if enough time remains on the blank, I try again and it will usually record properly the second time. If the error happened too far into recording, I'll have to discard the blank and start again.

Initially, I assumed that the unit was simply being fussy about the blank media being fed to it, but I really have to wonder whether such a high error rate should be expected. Obviously the unit is long out of warranty since I've had it 2 years. Any thoughts on whether I have a lemon?

2. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

May 9, 2001
    Elizabeth S
    Danny, I've never had a Panasonic recorder, but I own 2 Pioneers and a Toshiba. I have probably only had 2 or 3 coasters out of hundreds burned. It definitely sounds like a faulty unit if it has behaved this way from the beginning. Do the Panasonics allow any type of hard drive reformatting?