Excessive packaging of DVDs

Discussion in 'DVD' started by BillGo, May 18, 2004.

1. BillGo

BillGo Stunt Coordinator

Today I picked up the new Special Editions of Angel Heart and The Great Escape. Each came in a keepcase and included a cardboard sleeve which exactly duplicated the artwork of the keepcase paper insert. The cardboard sleeve for The Great Escape also had a foldout that featured multiple pictures and a cast list; hardly essential.

I don't believe these sleeves add any value to DVDs and can only increase the cost. I hope this trend doesn't continue.

Anybody else have any views on this issue?

2. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Simple Paramount style keepcases with original theatrical poster art would work fine for me. It's too bad this hasn't carried into a consistant trend with the various studios. I wish Criterion would just buy exclusive rights to DVD production and distribution throuyghout the planet, than we'd be set.

3. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

I liked the sleeve for the UNDERWORLD UNRATED EXTENDED EDITION DVD. I did think the extra cardboard sleeve around the keepcase of THE RUNDOWN was a waste of cardboard when the sleeve reproduces the exact same thing on the keepcase.

4. Shane Roach

Shane Roach Stunt Coordinator

If the sleeve and keepcase wrapper match and feature artwork that's attractive in its own right, I like it because it lets me get a poster-based wrap from dvdcoverart.com without losing the "stock" art.