What's new

Excellent news regarding the animated "Lord of the Rings"...apparently in widescreen! (1 Viewer)

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Again I have to ask, does anyone know for certain that Warner's has released Ralph Bakshi's LOTR in the Original Aspect Ratio?
------------------
-Rodney
No MAR'ed Films, I want my OAR!

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
A number of Canadian retailers are listing the disc as being in anamorphic widescreen. http://www.cnl.com/ and http://www.dvdboxoffice.com/ , to name two. The person who sent me those scans I posted is also from Canada, and he says that he's given the disc a spin and that it is presented at 1.85:1 and in anamorphic widescreen.
I haven't seen an entry from a U.S. retailer saying that the disc is in widescreen, though, and someone from DVD Talk claims to have received an e-mail from Bill Hunt of TDB confirming that the U.S. release is in 4x3.
I'm not aware of any Warner discs where the U.S. version differed from the Canadian release, but could this be the first...?
------------------
My DVD list | My personal site

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Wow!
I guess this means a certain "comparison" picture of the "P&S" and "widescreen" is a bunch of BS...
I'm pre-ordering this!
------------------
P.S.: There's no P.S.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
From DVD Planet:
Thanks for the email. We have done a little digging around, and although many early sources claimed both CATS & DOGS and the animated LORD OF THE RINGS were due to be released FULL FRAME ONLY, it appears that LORD OF THE RINGS will be widescreen. We have also seen the same image you have where the back of the dvd shows that it will be released that way, so we have updated our description to display it as such...
We hope this is the correct information - sometimes studios can be misleading with the information they release before the titles are available. Thanks again for the email - we appreciate you pointing it out to us.
Lucas 08/31/2001
DVDPlanet Customer Service http://www.dvdplanet.com
TEL.800.624.3078 / FAX.714.892.8369 / TEL.714.892.2283

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
In other words, DVD Planet doesn't really know any more than we do. They're basing it all on that scan, which may or may not be a fake, and if real, may or may not be Canadian-only. So nothing's solved yet.
Sigh. Is it Tuesday yet?
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
Widescreen is Family Fun!
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Arghhh! This is frustrating. I want to pre-order this one, but only IF it is in its OAR.
You would think Warner would want to give this info out ASAP, to increase sales.
------------------
-Rodney
No MAR'ed Films, I want my OAR!

Brian E

Screenwriter
I'm getting ready to order this right now. I can always unload it later if it's not OAR. Anyone want in on Share the Love before I order it? Reply here in the next hour or so and I'll add you to the list.
------------------
-Brian
collection1.jpg

My DVD List

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Well, no one will believe me, but I own this disc and it is indeed 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen. I got it from a store that is very by the book with street dates but they obviously messed up with this one.
Anyway the scans, as is the barcode, are all correct. I don't understand all the skepticism in this thread.
Jeff

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I absolutely believe you Jeff. I also see that you're in Canada. Looking at the markings on the packaging ("for sale in USA & Canada," the US "PG" rating, et cetera), would it be reasonable to assume that this disc is the same one we'll be getting here in the US?

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Ladies & Gentlemen,
I picked this disc up today from my local Toronto B&M retailer. They don't understand the meaning of "release date". I like them very much.
Having said this, I have the disc right in front of me. It is in fact presented in "widescreen".
From the back of the box,
PRESENTED IN A "MATTED" WIDESCREEN FORMAT PRESERVING THE ASPECT RATIO OF ITS ORIGINAL THEATRICAL EXHIBITION. ENHANCED FOR WIDESCREEN TVS."
The disc is single sided with silk-screened art on the one side (I'm generally used to Warner issuing Widescreen on one side, Standard P&S on the other).
There is nothing here that tells me that this is a Canadian only version.
And if anyone is interested, I also have The Neverending Story here as well. Same deal, except this has P&S & Widescreen on the disc.
Moe.

Greg Rakaska

Stunt Coordinator
I just picked this up in Indy today, and it is indeed as described in the first post of this thread: widescreen, anamorphic, gazillion subtitles, etc.
I would write more, but I have a few folks in my HT room ready to watch it, so i gotta run.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks