Excellent Bookshelf Speaker

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip, Mar 2, 2002.

1. Philip

Philip Extra

I'm adding twp speakers to our family room and they will be placed in an area where I've got about 12 inches in height.

The speakers can be larger...if I turn them on their sides.

What is a an excellent brand and model....priced in the range of $300 - $600 per pair?

Phil

2. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

3. Terry Flink

Terry Flink Stunt Coordinator

I have the nOrh 4.0's but they need some rear space because of the rear port. Recommend at least nine inches from the rear wall. If you can work it they are excellent speakers.

4. MikeKaz

MikeKaz Stunt Coordinator

A perfect speaker if you have the width is the JBl S-38. They are less than 12 inches high, about 12 inches deep, and are front ported, so there will be no problem placing them right up against a wall or cabinet. The most interesting thing about these speakers is that they are designed to be placed on their side, and because of the way the baffle around the tweeter is designed, they actually perform better that way. plus they sound fantastic. If you have an area that is about 17.5 inches wide, you should definately consider these speakers. you can get them at bestpriceaudiovideo.com for $280. (youd probably want to get the silver driver s38II's)

5. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Paradigm Studio 20's in black laminate is an excellent choice at the top of that price range. Paradigm Mini-Monitors at about $325 are another good choice.

6. Tyson

Tyson Stunt Coordinator

Since my primary rec in this price range is out (the norh 4.0) due to placement constraints, I have to give my rec as the ACI Emerald. Sound very very good. check out www.audioc.com or search some of the boards for ACI - lots of extremely happy users.

7. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

[​IMG]
    http://www.acoustic-research.com/ar15_content.asp
    Dimensions (HxWxD): 14 5/16" x 8 11/16" x 8 1/8"
    Driver complement: Plasma Transferred Diamond Hardened 1"
    Titanium Dome Tweeter 6 1/2" MagAlloy Monocoque Woofer
    All transducers are Magnetically Shielded
    Frequency response: 38Hz-23KHz ±2dB
    Crossover frequency: 3.2KHz
    Sensitivity: 90dB @ 2.83 Volts/Meter
    System impedance: 8 Ohms Nominal
    Recommended amp. power: 20 Watts~175 Watts
    Finish: Black ash, cherry woodgrain

8. Heath_R

Heath_R Stunt Coordinator

I really liked the Paradigm Mini-Monitors mentioned above, but I went with the Axiom M3Ti. Both are great speakers, just my personal prefernce to the sound of the Axioms. Both are also a great value in a budget monitor IMO.

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Laying a vertically designed bookshelf on it's side will destroy the imaging.

10. RM Haney

RM Haney Extra

I recently bought a set of Klipsch RB-5's and could not be happier. I got the "old series" at a buy one/get one free sale at my local Sound Advice (Tweeter). The only difference between the old series and the RB-5II is the internal wiring is Monster Cable Z series. I listened to both side by side and couldn't hear an audible difference. Ended up with the old series and and extra $400 in my pocket.

Mike

11. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

sorry mis post. Origianally recomended a B&W 601S3, but then re-read the original post. It's too tall.

12. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

The JBL S38 are designed to be on their side and are mirror images to each other. They are also a very good choice......

13. Bob Marker

Bob Marker Stunt Coordinator

Agree with John - many small monitors are not designed to be positioned vertically. At the upper end of your price range, you might check out the Dynaudio audiance 42. It is 11.1" high and comes with port plugs that can be helpful with close to wall placement. I should point out that I think this speaker also uses first order crossover slopes which, in my experience (with Thiel and Vandersteen speakers), indicates that proper vertical positioning is especially important to achieving a smooth frequency balance.

14. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Kef q15.2 or the new Kef Q1

15. John Desmond

John Desmond Stunt Coordinator

ACI's Emerald LE is one heck of a speaker. VERY natural, open, musical and involving. One fine looking little piece as well. I like the cherry myself, but there are other wood choices as well.

16. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Check out NHT SB3's. These are suppose to be excellent bookshelf speakers that go low (45hz range) for such a small box. Can be found for $500 a pair.

NHT 1.5's can be found at closeout prices ($300 a pair). This would be another good choice.

17. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

My vote would be for the Divas or Emeralds as the nOrh 4.0s likely are out due to depth, otherwise I'd recommend them or the 6.1s (perhaps 5.1s) especially as I have the ceramic 4.0s and wood 5.1s.

18. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I'll have to put in another vote for the Emeralds. I've built several pairs of these and they're great little speakers. If you can build your own they're an absolute steal!

Brian

19. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

The ACI Emerald looks pretty good. I wish I could audition one of the ACI speakers myself.

Another good candidate is Sonus faber Concertino (original and Home versions) used - check audiogon. You can probably check them out locally if you have a Tweeter nearby.

20. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

I've got a pair of the NHT SB3s -- they indeed go impressively low (39Hz according to spec sheet) for bookshelves, and sound quite nice overall. I compared them to a set of like-priced B&Ws and found the high end just as extended but much less harsh. The aluminum dome tweeter is a nice piece. Unfortunately, I think they're a bit over 12" high.

The SB2s are almost as good (same tweeter, a bit less bass extension) for $400 list, and I think they squeak under the one-foot line.

Ryan