What's new

Excel question: Charts (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Guys,

I have an excel table where I have charted my weightloss progress. In the same chart I have also counted calories, fat, carbs and physical activity (along with weight and measurement).

The table has a row for each day since January 23rd, and a column for the various things I was keeping track of (Waist, Stomach, Chest, neck, Weight, Treadmill Time, Distance, MPH, Situps, Pushups, Calories, Fat, Carbs).

Things like calories I chart everyday, however things like measurements are done once a week or so (sometimes less than, sometimes more- was just done when I had extra time in the morning).

I would like to take this data up to this point and make some line/area charts. For example, I'd like to make a chart with measurements and weight over the course of the last 2 months.

However, since i only have values for one row for every 6-7, everytime I try to make a chart it counts these empty values as 0-- making the chart look more like a pulse monitor (all the way at 0 for a week, then jumps to 235, all the way at 0 for a week then jumps to 233, etc.)

I don't know excel very well- but I would like to find a way for it to ignor the empty values, but kind of keep the space for those days-- so i can see the full 60 days but it will only plot points for the days I have values.

Any help?

Jeff_Blanch

Agent
One way to do it is to plot as an XY scatter. If you want to see a line you can then add a polynomial trendline. It won't be perfect, but if you want to keep the days, it will always think the empty days are data points.

Mike Sogge

Stunt Coordinator
Using the XY scatter plot with interconnecting lines...

- For the data sets which have values for each day, create a series that uses all the dates for the X value, and all the data values for the Y values.

- For the data sets which have sporadic values, create a series that has uses only the dates which have corresponding data values for the X values (make multiple cell selections with the CTRL key). Do the same for Y values.

Doing this will allow you to track multiple datasets on the same chart w/o creating goofy results.

Dan Mercier

Stunt Coordinator
Vince, if you want you could always post the spreadsheet
data here and some of us could take a crack at it for you.
I think Mike pretty much has listed what you have to do but
I also have a few idea's I would need to try.

You don't mind posting your weight to all of us do you?
Just kidding. I'll play with this when I get off work as I
need to do some graphing for other spreadsheets I have any.
I'll get back to you with anything I find.

Dan

Kelvin Tucker

Stunt Coordinator
Charting Tips
I was able to plot a line chart correctly by changing your black entries into "=NA()" entries. Seems that Excel will not plot those, in general.

This may be what you need to almost get there. M$ does not make things like this easy, and the only way I know to go all the way is to program it in VBA ....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks