What's new

Excel Help: How to reference tab name in cell (1 Viewer)

Mark Giles

Second Unit
In Microsoft Excel: Can someone tell me the formula on displaying the name of the worksheet (tab name) in a cell on the sheet? I'm not talking about the header/footer code, but in a cell.
I know theres a way to do it, I just forget what the formula is.
Thanks in advance!! :)

me90201

Auditioning
Real Name
Harry Potter
=RIGHT(CELL("filename"),LEN(CELL("filename"))-FIND("]",CELL("filename")))

mrtonothorns

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Giles said:
Ok, nevermind. i found it...
=MID(CELL("filename"),FIND("]",CELL("filename"))+1,255)
SWEET! Now can someone tell me how to find the name of the cell that is to the left of the tab I am putting the formula in?

mrtonothorns

Auditioning
Real Name
me90201 said:
SWEET! Now can someone tell me how to find the name of the cell that is to the left of the tab I am putting the formula in?

Still a novice

Auditioning
Real Name
Laser Swaar
Did you ever get an answer to the question regarding the name of the worksheet to the left?
If so, I would appreciate you sharing it with me.
Thank you

Kirk Lammert

Auditioning
Real Name
Kirk Lammert
You can use the same formula with a minor alteration to the CELL function. The original formula:
assumes that you want the name of the tab you're currently on. However, there is a second argument to the CELL function for reference. Using this argument you can get the tab name of any tab within your worksheet. It works like so:
=RIGHT(CELL("filename",'OtherTab'!A1),LEN(CELL("filename",'OtherTab'!A1))-FIND("]",CELL("filename",'OtherTab'!A1)))
where "OtherTab" is the tab you want to get the name of. I used cell A1 of that sheet, but any cell will do.
Hope this helps!

Y Jin

Auditioning
Real Name
Yong Jin Wang
Kirk, that's very helpful!
I have more than 1 tabs in my spreadsheet book. If I want a specific cell in each tab read its own tab name what should I do? I used your first formula, all tabs read one tab name.
Any suggestion? Thanks!

Mr SteveW

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Woolsey
Hi Kirk or Mark:
I have a strange result using your formulas for returning value of the same sheet you are on and wondering if you're experiencing the same. If I rename any other sheet name in the entire workbook (or any other open workbook for that matter), and the formula (even though referencing the sheet I am on) changes value to show me the name of the most recently modified sheet name. Doesn't matter which book I'm in.
If I recalculate the formula (click in cell and press Enter) it goes back to showing me the correct "current sheet name". If I close the book and reopen it, the book opens with the correct "current sheet name". So it seems like it experiences only a temporary glitch, but can cause problems on formulas within the page while I'm working in my workbook... any ideas on how to keep it from changing temporarily?
Thanks.

ryates

Auditioning
Real Name
Russ
Hi All: Yes, i find that in multiple sheets the cell reference returns the name of the first or current sheet tab. What would be helpful is if i cound have a relative reference to the sheet tab name unique to each sheet.

MikeR128

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Raistrick
You just need to set the reference to an absolute cell on the sheet. Thus cell("filename","$A$1") will alway only refer to the current sheet where it appears and =RIGHT(CELL("filename",$A$1),LEN(CELL("filename",$A$1))-FIND("]",CELL("filename",$A$1),1)) will always give the correct Tab reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks