Exceeding a speakers power handling

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marshall Sander, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Marshall Sander

Marshall Sander Stunt Coordinator

Mar 1, 2002
    My speakers stated rating for power handling is 20w - 150w; except for my center speaker which is rated 20w - 120w.
    The speakers are all 8 ohm.

I am thinking of purchasing an amp which delivers 5 x 200w of power at 8 ohms.

I'm a newbie so I wonder: Is this too much amp for my speakers? Is there a substantial risk that I will blow my speakers because my amp will be too powerful?

2. Mark Seaton

Mark Seaton Supporting Actor

Oct 10, 1999
    Mark Seaton
    While this might get a bit technical, you might find my last post in THIS thread.
    The short answer is that no, a bigger amplifier should not be a problem. A bigger quesiton will be how you use it. If you just keep cranking until it won't go any louder, you very well may blow them up. If you use the amplifier's power in the interest of clean headroom, you should get improved sound at most levels. So be kind to your speakers and listen to when they are screaming for mercy. [​IMG]
  3. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Feb 1, 2002

You don't have to send all 200 watts to each speaker. That would mean turning up the volume on everything to maximum. (Who knows why someone would do that)

I believe that it's easier to damage a speaker by giving it too little power and turning the volume up.

I do think that 100 watts would more than adequate for your speakers. They should get plenty loud and the amp should be cheaper.