What's new

Examples of How Modern Film is Awesome (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The source material for The Arrival wasn't too shabby, either.

Story of Your Life by Ted Chiang won the 2000 Nebula Award for Best Novella and the 1999 Hugo Award for Best Novella. It is very well written and does a terrific job of exploring the notion of free will.

- Walter.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I will say that I intended no personal insult with my earlier comment and sincerely apologize if it came across in that manner.

No personal insult was taken, so no need to apologize for that. I would actually prefer you hurl personal insults at me as at least I could have a good laugh at that. The request I have made and will no longer make is that people do not make claims nor insinuations that another poster said something that they never said. That's it. Simple request. I ask this for several reasons but one of which is that I end up responding trying to clarify I never said the things people are accusing me of saying. I hate writing these responses. I hate seeing them here but I also really dislike and find obnoxious that people claim I am saying something or doing something I have never done nor said.

I just wanted to discuss film here and I enjoy reading about what's being released and other people's thoughts on pictures they are watching or that they are excited about seeing.

In the interests of no longer interfering with discussions here and no longer having to write responses like the one I am writing now I will make this site read only going forward.

I remain baffled why a few people misrepresent in the extreme what I write here at times and I have no hard feelings toward anybody but I think I am done for the foreseeable future taking part in the discussions here. I just have no interest in disrupting what people prefer to talk about and essentially when I end up writing responses like this I feel I am.

In the end I just want to say to me there is no right or wrong or good or bad when it comes to how people feel about movies. They are entertainment and so what entertains one person may do nothing for someone else. So, if you love a film that others dislike or vice versa it is not a big deal. It is the same as walking into a museum somewhere in the world and falling in love with a painting. Or a piece of music. Some things strike a chord with each of us but may not resonate with others. That's just how this stuff works.

If I was critical of a film others liked nothing personal was meant by it. I don't think people are stupid for liking films I don't like nor disliking films I do like. We just feel different things toward these pictures. I have never felt it was an intelligence thing because I think our reactions to something like a motion picture are more emotional than intellectual.

Peace and best wishes to all and happy movie going!

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I'll just say this. I've seen a lot of films from all genres over the years. I've learned recently that I have not, however, seen as many as some of you but notwithstanding...

I love the art and technology associated with film. I can't think of a film [even the old Troma flicks] that didn't have something to offer. If I didn't find beauty in the script, perhaps I found it in the photography. If not there then perhaps in the cast. And so on... Sure we've lost some great actors along the way and [in many cases] veered more towards special effects than great writing but we've also gained amazing advances in production quality both in commercial and home theaters.

What a great time for HT enthusiasts!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Reggie, seriously, what the hell?

1) You like to be provocative with your comments. If you're denying that, you're kidding yourself.
2) There's nothing wrong with that, but...
3) If you're going to be provocative, especially when it comes to fanboy stuff like Star Wars, people are going to get in a twist.
4) If you're going to be provocative, you might want to back it up with a little more.
5) People will still be annoyed, but if you put genuine thought in, it won't matter.

Lately I've been thinking about how much of an influence my education had on me. I studied commercial photography at a rather prominent school. I know that studying photography for four years sounds pretty cushy, but it was vicious. So vicious, in fact, when I graduated, I was a little broken. You didn't just get to "create" without criticism. For four years, every single thing you did or created, you had to stand up in front of your peers to explain and defend it, and as often as not, half of them wanted to find a reason to rip you to shreds. These critiques (crits) were like a blood sport. However, not only were you required to defend your own work, but you couldn't present criticism without defending that as well.

Why do I bring this up? Because, for example, the intention of that scene in The Last Jedi you had problems with, no matter how poorly done it might have been and no matter how it struck you, is obvious. It's meant to be dramatic. It's obvious, because the possibility of anything else just doesn't make sense. It gave me a wave of blah too, because I just thought it was overblown. But it's still obviously intended to be dramatic. Why would the intention for that scene to be silly or comical? Think of the context of that scene.

So, my suggestion to you is to continue being provocative, but put more thought behind it. Don't state "what are we supposed to think?" and throw up your hands. Answer that question for yourself before you ask it publicly.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
No personal insult was taken, so no need to apologize for that. I would actually prefer you hurl personal insults at me as at least I could have a good laugh at that. The request I have made and will no longer make is that people do not make claims nor insinuations that another poster said something that they never said. That's it. Simple request. I ask this for several reasons but one of which is that I end up responding trying to clarify I never said the things people are accusing me of saying. I hate writing these responses. I hate seeing them here but I also really dislike and find obnoxious that people claim I am saying something or doing something I have never done nor said.

I just wanted to discuss film here and I enjoy reading about what's being released and other people's thoughts on pictures they are watching or that they are excited about seeing.

In the interests of no longer interfering with discussions here and no longer having to write responses like the one I am writing now I will make this site read only going forward.

I remain baffled why a few people misrepresent in the extreme what I write here at times and I have no hard feelings toward anybody but I think I am done for the foreseeable future taking part in the discussions here. I just have no interest in disrupting what people prefer to talk about and essentially when I end up writing responses like this I feel I am.

In the end I just want to say to me there is no right or wrong or good or bad when it comes to how people feel about movies. They are entertainment and so what entertains one person may do nothing for someone else. So, if you love a film that others dislike or vice versa it is not a big deal. It is the same as walking into a museum somewhere in the world and falling in love with a painting. Or a piece of music. Some things strike a chord with each of us but may not resonate with others. That's just how this stuff works.

If I was critical of a film others liked nothing personal was meant by it. I don't think people are stupid for liking films I don't like nor disliking films I do like. We just feel different things toward these pictures. I have never felt it was an intelligence thing because I think our reactions to something like a motion picture are more emotional than intellectual.

Peace and best wishes to all and happy movie going!
Reggie,

I hope in time, you come back and post again. You and I have had our differences of opinion, but I always valued your input here. This forum is a better place for discourse with you participating in it.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm going to try to express my last post a little better.

I think we generally are tending to seek out agreement too much. Debate is great. It can expand minds, but there seems to be a desire for the opposite. Recently I pointed out a flaw in someone's logic (elsewhere on this forum) and it was descending into pointlessness when I said "should we just move on?" I got the suggestion by PM that we should both activate the ignore on each other. I don't understand that. Are we getting to the point that our opinions can't, or shouldn't, ever be open to debate?

What I suggest is... Say what you mean and mean what you say. Don't just create opinions out of gut reactions. Form them from observation and critical thought. State them. After you put the energy into being able to explain and even defend them. Most of all, then listen to other arguments. Honestly evaluate if they have merit.

BTW, I think my main purpose for my last post is to explain why I am so comfortable with extreme debate. It's something I'm just familiar with.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Let's see if we can bring this back. The title of the thread is...

"Examples of How Modern Film is Awesome"

That means only what it says. It doesn't exclude other eras as having awesome films as well, and it definitely isn't about the examples of crappy modern film. It's easy to be negative. I bet with all these film fans, we can come up with a lot of examples of exceptional, modern film.

So, here's a distinctly modern film that I think is absolutely astounding.

Perfect Sense

This came out in 2011 and I have no idea how I missed it until last year. It's also one of those movies that doesn't have much of a middle ground. People tend to either love it or hate it.

What happens in Perfect Sense is, there is a mysterious epidemic sweeping the world that has some some bizarre symptoms. At first, one by one, everyone experiences an overwhelming wave of despair, then loses their sense of smell. It then progresses through other senses. I said that's what happens, because that's not really what it's about. What it's about, at it's core, is our collective inability to communicate and connect with each other, which is brilliantly played out in an environment where everyone is systematically robbed of any possibility to communicate or connect. In case your were wondering, no, it's not a coincidence I chose this movie to discuss next.

This is a rather low budget movie, considering some of the actors starring in it. What's modern about Perfect Sense isn't in the technical aspect of filmmaking. It's in the story and concept. Like Arrival, it's a science fiction setting, but it's not about science. Like all the best Sci-Fi, it's about human characteristics and stories. The trailer doesn't really get the unusual feel and concept of the movie across.

I really can't overstate how impressed and moved I was by this movie.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Here's another excellent example of modern film done right. From the 2011 Jane Eyre. Yeah. Is there any reason an adaptation of classic literature can't be both respectful of the source material and modern in style? I don't think so. What's modern about it? The camera work, constantly with slow movement, and extensive closeups is definitely modern. Also, the acting style, particularly delivery of lines is certainly modern. Also, I'm a bit of a Jane Eyre fanatic, and as far as I recall, this is the only adaptation that understands this is not a Jane Austen romance. It is a romance, but it's entirely gothic in style. This movie understands that. There has been a lot of discussion in this thread about what's been lost without the Hollywood star system. Well, when Orson Welles was Rochester, the star system dictated the character be more about Welles than Rochester. That's just my interpretation, and I'm not actually intending that to be a slam against Welles. It's just a distinctly different approach and goal. I prefer this. A lot of people prefer the old style. it's the spice of life.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
And this scene. The heart of Jane Eyre is in these conversations between Jane and Rochester, as she has the audacity to stand up to him with her odd wit and strength. I don't know why, but one of my favorite quotes of all times is "That head I now see on your shoulders?" from this scene.

These scenes are exceptionally loyal to the source.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Let's see if we can bring this back. The title of the thread is...

"Examples of How Modern Film is Awesome"

That means only what it says. It doesn't exclude other eras as having awesome films as well, and it definitely isn't about the examples of crappy modern film. It's easy to be negative. I bet with all these film fans, we can come up with a lot of examples of exceptional, modern film.

And what defines "awesome?" Our own sensibilities. What do WE like best? Drama, action, horror, schlock?

Personally, I think the 2008 film Doubt is one of the finest motion pictures ever made. From the story to the script to the cast to the performances...it all came together into a big ball of awesome. But it all starts and ends with the writing. When people ask me about my personal favorite films it is one of the two I never fail to mention (the other being Groundhog Day).

My wife and I still debate the various truths/lies held within the plot...all these years and viewings later.

doubt-poster.jpeg

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm gonna check it out too. I remember hearing really good things about it, and that unknown young woman who starred in it, who has gone on to star in two of my very favorite films of the last ten years. Sunshine Cleaning and Arrival. The weird thing is, NetFlix says I rented it in 2011, but I'm sure I've never seen it and it isn't on my server.

Doubt and Hostiles are two movies I'm going to make a point of seeing.

Doubt might be a little bit like what 21 Grams is for me. It's not something I feel the need to watch a lot, but it's like a course in perfect modern filmmaking. Every aspect is absolutely finely crafted, but it's also an extremely dark and unpleasant movie.

Last edited:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Doubt features some of the best performances you are likely to see. I am not sure that it offers a lot of re-watch potential (I've only seen it once) but it is definitely worth seeing. It certainly fits well in the category of well crafted contemporary cinema.

- Walter.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Hostiles shocked me in a very visceral way - I walked out of the theater in a contemplative state of mind, and i'm still thinking about it even months later.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hostiles shocked me in a very visceral way - I walked out of the theater in a contemplative state of mind, and i'm still thinking about it even months later.
Have you ever seen The Proposition?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks