What's new

Examining Used TV (1 Viewer)

Ethan Ard

Auditioning
Hi,

I just bought a used Pioneer Elite 510HD on EBay. It was advertised as in excellent condition.

I'll be going to the seller's place soon to examine the television for any problems. I'm planning to connect a DVD player (mine or his, if he has one) using component, regular & s-video cables, and looking at some video essentials test patterns. I have no HDTV receiver, so I can't test that out.

Is there anything else I should be looking at to verify that there are no major flaws with the set?

Thanks
Ethan

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Pay close attention to the picture settings as they are when you arrive at his house. Before you say anything, ask him how long the set has been running with those picture settings. You know the score: If the contrast has been cranked at or near maximum, thank the owner for his time and make a polite exit.

(Used televisions--especially RPTVs--are not the best thing to purchase.)

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
I would second the above opinion. I came close to purchasing a floor model / demo / return in a showroom, until someone brought me to my senses. You do not know if the set has been left on with the contrast set at 100% for twelve hours a day. You can try to find burn in, but even that can hide unless you have a white screen turned on. You can try to determine if the set has been abused to the point where it has already used up 10%, or 25%, or 30% of its probable CRT lifespan, but how would you know? If it was running at factory settings ("torch mode"), you might be buying a set which is only seven months old but which has CRTs that are metaphorically 4 years old (for all practical purposes, in "CRT years").

Used is fine for many things... I would avoid it for RPTVs, if you can.

-Just my opinion,

-Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks