Exactly To What Does The Title "Half-Life" Refer?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Simpson, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Watched Resident Evil on disc tonight. It pretty much stunk, but having had very little experience with the RE games, I have to say it really reminded me of my favourite game, Half-Life (mainly the sets; the train, some of the rooms, etc. Even the plot was similar...). At any rate, it got me to thinking about HL and I realized I have no idea what that title means. I believe it's a scientific reference of some sort, but beyond that, I'm without a clue. Anyone? Cheers!

DS.

P.S. Doncha think a Half-Life "X" in 5.1 would be swell? I sure as heck do! C'mon, Valve!!

2. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

Yep, it's scientific. Learned it in 10th grade chemistry - "Hey! Like the game!" - and quickly forgot about it

From Dictionary.com:

3. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

4. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

CS, hell, all online games would be great if they could just figure out a way to weed out all the morons. All the people who know for a fact that you're cheating if you so much as kill them, as if the notion of them being killed were so impossible. Unfortunately the morons seem to account for 85% of their customer base, so I don't see the companies going along with it [​IMG]

5. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Aren't they working on Half-Life 2?

6. SkiingNinja

SkiingNinja Second Unit

Oh yes.

7. Nathan A

Nathan A Second Unit

team fortress 2...i've given up on it. for the last three or four years (literally) i've been looking forward to it, awaiting its eventual release (which was supposed to be what, 3 or 4 years ago?).

i'll be surprised when it comes out. being in the "can't wait for it" state of mind didn't help at all, so now i just think "eh, i don't care. that's what happens when you make me wait a seventh of my life for a game"

8. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

I think they may've bitten off too much with the concept. I recall they (Valve I guess?) were going to try and incorporate voice activation in the game with over-the-top graphics.

I think there's too much focus on the packaging and look of a game. TFC wasn't -that- great as far as graphics go but the gameplay was phenomenal.

9. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

i also remember stories of Valve launching some kind of Gaming ISP, which Im sure have totally fallen through the cracks and is never going to see the light of day.

lets just hope that some kind of TFC2 arrives, and then possibly a HalfLife 2.

on the other side, i love when I get accused of cheating in CS. I usually just take it as a sign that someone thinks im "too" good so I must be cheating. But to be fair, I also love when people who arent cheating and can recognize real skills stick up for you when you get accused of cheating. Thanks Guys!!!

10. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    Where has there been ANY info on Half Life II?!!? I looked for quite some time over a year ago and came up with ghosts.
    Maybe Half Life II is going to come out with Duke Nukem Forever? [​IMG]

11. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I remember reading that HL2 was in development for a long time because they wanted it to be perfect, then I heard it would debut on PS2.