Ex-Rental DVD's damaged without sticker??

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Robert Sun, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Robert Sun

Robert Sun Agent

Hi,

I bought an ex rental DVD from Video Ezy and the staff member who served me told me never to remove the sticker on the dvd (around the hole) as it would damage my DVD?? When i asked what/how it would damage it she just said she was told to tell everyone that so she does. Anyone know if this is true??

Coincidence or not my previous DVD player Sony NS300 got an ice age DVD stuck in it that was an ex rental that I took the sticker off (because noone ever told me before).

Can anyone tell me for sure why removing the sticker would damage things? Thanks!

Rob

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Your previous experience was an early warning. This second experience is confirmation. Remember, small particulate matter adheres to such surfaces. When dust and dirt are flung inside a machine, its lifespan is reduced.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

if you can cleanly remove the sticker, then i say go for it.

but, if it's gonna be messy, with bits and pieces everywhere, then i would leave it on.

a lot of people use "goo-gone" to help remove the adhesive material.

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Aside from the messiness I do not see a problem peeling a paper label off of a dvd, but with a CD it wold be a problem. With a CD, peeling off the label stuck to the non-shiny side may cause the painted on surface which is the data layer to delaminate. Then air seeps under and works it way to the part that gets played.
    With a DVD the data layer is sandwiched between plastic on both sides so you won't spoil the data layer unless you put too much flex stress force on the DVD.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

5. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    I find olive oil excellent for removing stickers from DVDs. Dab a little onto the glue residue, leave for an hour then wipe away with a clean cloth or paper towel. [​IMG]
    Adam

6. Bryan_Bortz

Bryan_Bortz Stunt Coordinator

Anyone have any other hints tips or ideas about this? I am thinking that my local Rental store might be an OK place to buy used DVDs, I recently did buy a copy of Punch Drunk Love, the box and DVDs are in great shape, but it has a Movie Gallery Sticker on it. Quite sad when the box and disc are good.

-Owl

7. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

I buy alot of my movies used from Blockbuster (don't worry, I make sure they're widescreen). To be quite honest, I don't really care what the disc looks like. It's gonna either be in the case or the DVD player most of the time anyways. The case is what I try to make sure is clean and free of annoying stickers.

8. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I bought a used DVD, took the sticker off, watched the movie, couple days later tried watching 10 different movies, same used movie came up, YEP ... stuck too the top!!!!

Leave the sticker on!

Brent

9. Bryan_Bortz

Bryan_Bortz Stunt Coordinator

Thats why I ask, Anyone have good tips for removing the glue/goo that would make it stick?

-Owl