EX "Matrixed" 6.1 sound?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig Lafferty, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Craig Lafferty

Does anyone have experience with a receivers Matrix 6.1 output, where the receiver creates a virtual rear surround sound based on the EX signal? Is the quality and experience equal or better than 5.1 sound?

And does anyone know a site that has a list of movies that have EX soundtracks, since I seem to remember hearing that many DVDs include the 6.1 track but don't list it on the package.

I just picked up a new Yamaha receiver (after my Sony blew the rear channel) and it supports Matrix 6.1 (along with lots of other stuff). Can't wait to get it all hooked up, esp if I can do the Matrix 6.1.

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

My TA-E9000ES pre amp can do this but in all honesty I havne't given it enough listening to really hear if it makes all that much difference. Once I get set up in my dedicated room in a couple of weeks I'll be better able to test it out. Check this thread for a listing of 6.1 movies

3. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

how does 6.1 sound on a 5.1 system

4. TedD

TedD Supporting Actor

Any title with mono surrounds will only have surround channel output from the back wall speakers and none from the side wall speakers when used with any matrix encoded system, EX or ES when the matrix decoding is enabled.

It destroys the "surround" experience for non-encoded ES tracks with mono surround as far as I am concerned.

The only time it's guaranteed to be great is if you use it with EX or ES encoded titles.

Ted

5. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson

6. Marty Lockstead

Marty Lockstead Second Unit

Craig, which Yamaha model did you pick up? I own the RX-V3200 which has 6.1 DTS-ES discrete decoding on compatible titles. If the dvd has a regular 5.1 soundtrack, I find it makes a bit of a difference when turning on the matrix 6.1 mode. The rear-center tends to sound rather quiet on 5.1 only dvds, but I simply turn up the volume on the rear-center to make up for it. Happy listening![​IMG]

7. Harry Lincoln

Harry Lincoln Stunt Coordinator

quote:

---------

Actually I am yet to tell a difference between an EX/ES incoded sound track and a newer 5.1 track. They all sound great decoded in EX!

---------

I agree.

Harry.

8. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Marty,

Actually he did it to prove to the opossum it could be done!