Ex-HTFer still mad at Ron...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Click here. He seems to still harbor some ill feelings after getting the boot last year.

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Post Edited by Admin sorry we have a policy against talking about other forums here. -Phil
    I don't get it...they won't frequent HTF because of ONE reviewer? What the hell? Obviously they don't bother reading the great posts by Seth Paxton, Al Brown, etc. etc.
    HTF is not just "one man".

3. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Hey Ron, don't worry about it, I know I for one take ALL your reviews to heart, and so far you are ALWAYS right on the money!!
    Except for maybe Bill and Ted. [​IMG] But you were probably right about it, if you didn't see it in the '80's, then you probably have to acquire a taste for it.[​IMG]
    But really I take all your reviews very seriously, and if you say it's good, then I buy it!!

4. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I don't agree with every reviewer's (not singling out anyone in particular) opinions on things, but these whiners are hilarious. Do they actually think that people are going to invest hours reviewing titles just for the hell of it? Do they think Roger Ebert pays for his movie theater tickets?

5. Rain

Rain Producer

I'm not sure what their point is exactly. Is it that Ron isn't entitled to voice his opinion because he's an owner of the forum? Or is it that he should review movies even if the studio doesn't give him copies?
    In the first place, Ron, like everyone else here, is free to voice their opinions on any given film. There is, to my knowledge, no HTF rule which states that we must all agree with Ron on every film.
    Second, the relationship between HTF and the studios is a mutually beneficial one. If they give Ron discs to view and he says something positive about them, that's essentially advertising for them. How many more copies of Moulin Rouge are they selling because they are advertising the fact that the HTF review was favourable...they are quoting it in the TV ads for crying out loud! And what did it cost them? One copy of the DVD. Big deal.
    I know all of this is painfully obvious to those of us here. I'm just trying to explain it for the folk who may be browsing from that other forum. [​IMG]

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

7. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

It seems a lot of these people feel Ron is somehow biased because he got the disc for free, and that this is somehow unique and that he loses credibility as a result, which is of course rediculous. Is he enthusaistic about a lot of these discs? Sure he is, but I highly doubt he'd be raving about something he hates just because he got it for free, in fact I can guarantee he won't be raving about stuff he hates, he probably just won't review it. I can recall several instances where he had criticisms about stuff he got, and others where he flat out wouldn't waste his time writing up a negative review. In no way does this make him any less credible as a reviewer - we all have opinions.

8. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    Ron's quotes were taken out of context, too. The good people over there forgot to mention everything else that Ron said in addition to "Normally I don't review Paramount titles any longer. The studio does not give out screeners, and I'd rather devote my review time to those that do."
    One person even made the ludicrous comment about Ron "A Harry Knowles in the making." [​IMG]

9. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

10. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    It probably takes 4-5 hours to watch and then do a good job reviewing a dvd. How many of us that work full-time jobs like Ron plus daily administered a large forum have the time necessary to review 4-6 dvds per week? The day is only 24 hours long and you only have so much time for any activity.

Crawdaddy

11. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

That thread at the other forum is the lamest attempt at getting back at Ron that I have ever seen. The guy is in denial. He belongs in Putz Central.

Glad he's not over here anymore.

Patrick

12. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Gentlemen,

I have read the thread over at DVDTALK and

thank Geoff and his staff for their support

of this forum and removing some of the other

more personal attacks.

When did I ever say I was boycotting Paramount?

I simply stated that I don't usually do reviews

unless they come from screener product. Why?

Because my priority is to the product I receive

and Paramount was not sending any.

Of course, Paramount has just offered to send

product, and I will certainly be reviewing their

product in the future.

I have to really laugh sometimes at how people

take things out of context.

13. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

Yeah I would call it boycotting Paramount when it's mentioned in the Top 3 studios for the year in the HTF Best & Worst [​IMG]

14. Gary_E

Gary_E Second Unit

Someone gives of their time freely to review DVDs for the sake of HTF members and in doing so eliminates much of the time available for watching the discs he WANTS to see and for this he gets pounded from a disgruntled ex-member!
    The crack in that thread regarding the $$ raised for the new server was another cheap shot at the ownership here. The financial request was made reluctantly. The membership gave willingly to insure the quality of the forum and to allow it to progress to greater heights.
    The pot-shots at HTF's owners, and Ron in particular, were creepy and stink of jealousy.
    -Gary

15. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

Wow!

So the author of that post is mad why? If Ron isn't going to buy movies from every studio, then he isn't allowed to do reviews at all? Is that the point?

Ridiculous! And I'd like to point out that "ridiculous" is spelled "ridiculous," not "rediculous."

16. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

And another thing. This quote is attributed to Ron in his Moulin Rouge review.

"All I walk away for the effort is free product, which I feel is the least I should be entitled to."

I can't seem to find it.

17. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

Stacy: It's post 162 in that thread.

18. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

But who's counting? [​IMG]
    Stacy was referring to the review by the way, not the whole thread. Just stirrin' the pot. [​IMG]

19. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

Just trying to get a handle on it all. That quote was given in order to discredit Ron, and it was said to be in his review. I couldn't find it.

Oh well, as Mr. Darling said on Andy Griffith, "A man's entitled to his opinion." I guess mine just doesn't coincide with the authors of that thread.

20. Craig Chatterton

Craig Chatterton Stunt Coordinator

Looks like the thread was removed from DVDTalk, or I can't get to it. Oh well, probably for the best. Reading it would just piss me off anyway. [​IMG]