What's new

EX / ES Calibration (1 Viewer)

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
If I use 2 back surrounds, should they each be set to 75db, or should their combined output be set at 75db? What do you do? Thanks for sharing,
Pieter

Mike Sheahan

Stunt Coordinator
What receiver are you using?
With my Denon it sends a separate signal for each speaker, so I did them independently.

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
I'm using a Pioneer VSX35TX.
I'm asking because I know one could use a single rear surround for EX/es, and if you did that would mean you have one speaker behind you that's putting out 75db. On the other hand, if you have two rear surrounds each calibrated to 75db that means you've got two speakers behind you putting out 75db each. Wouldn't the two speakers combined output more volume than one? And if that's true, shouldn't one calibrate the two speakers so that the combined volume coming from the pair is 75db? Otherwise it seems like the rear surrounds would be too loud compared to the rest of the system when watching a movie.
Pieter

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Good point Pieter!
Yes the combined reading should be at 75db since they reproduce the same signal[mono].
------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"

PatrickM

Screenwriter
According to what I've been told recently (which has supposedly been proven) receivers like the Denon 5800 allow you to use the internal tone to set all speakers to 75dB and when you choose 2 surround back speakers instead of one it takes this into account in processing and reduces the signal by 3dB each to compensate for the gain of two speakers reproducing the same signal.
I'm not sure if your Pioneer does the same but it might.
Patrick
------------------
My DVD Collection
Patrick The 69th most popular name for boys according to the Social Security Administration.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks