What's new

EX/ES/6.1 question (1 Viewer)

Sean_B

Stunt Coordinator
Can one center channel be used for the rear like the one in the front or does it have to be two more speakers for the rear?

Shanthi

Stunt Coordinator
Denon 3802 has an option to either select one rear center channel or two Surround backs.
My guess is it either matrix the signal or not based on the setup.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Sean,
Yes you can use either one or two speakers for the rear surround. At least on the Denon's you can specify if you have one or two speakers. The reason you need to specify is that the receiver will change the level the rear surrounds play it depending on if you have two, which would double up the level since its two speakers playing a mono single, or leave as is for a single speaker.
Patrick
------------------
My DVD Collection
Patrick The 69th most popular name for boys according to the Social Security Administration.

Sean_B

Stunt Coordinator
What do the mast majority of people here use then? What are the advantages of 2 versus 1? I have my two surrounds on the side of my couch pointing towards one another but slightly behind. I would figure I would only need just a center channel between them?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I think the consensus is: if you have the space (and the money!) get 2.
I have 1, but no more space, but that's good enough for me! Still a drastic (IMO) improvement over 5.1.

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Get 2 if at all possible (especially if your processor supports it). I had mine setup for ES 6.1 but recently tore it down and sold the two extra surrounds. It was really nice for a few titles but didn't think it was worthwhile since for regular 5.1 titles I do not use the extra surrounds (there is an option to do so but I think it muddies the sound at the back - just my 2 cents). Gladiator, Seven etc. did sound lovely though.
------------------
Home Theater
DVD Collection

derek

Second Unit
Check my faq for more info.
smile.gif

------------------
Derek
Surround EX FAQ: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/P...urroundex.html

Roland Wandinger

Stunt Coordinator
I'm using only 1 speaker for the back surround channel although I have a DENON 5800 which supports 2 back-surround speakers and I have a spare speaker the same make as my other 3 surroundspeaker (had to buy two pairs to get 3 speakers).
1 speaker per channel is my philosophy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks