1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Evita : Special Edition?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jay_B!, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

quite a while back, possibly a year ago, on a Madonna forum, I read a rumor that Buena Vista was working on a Special Edition DVD of Evita that would contain a lot of the goodies from the laserdisc. But all this time has passed and I haven't heard a thing. Does anyone know if there's a snowball chance in hell this will happen? it's pretty sad that Swept Away has a decent DVD (and it's likely the most lambasted film of Madonna's career) while Evita is considered her best performance and still nothing besides a bare-bones DVD. Since the 10th anniversary of the films release is creeping up, it'd be nice to see a nice 10th anniversary DVD to finally make up for the bare-bones set I bought in 1999.

2. DavidBC

DavidBC Second Unit

I'd love to see Criterion's laserdisc transferred over to DVD. This movie was a massive undertaking that deserves to be documented.

3. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Along with Mary Poppins, this was one of the first two DVDs I purchased 7 years ago, before I even had a player (had a DVD-ROM drive on my old PC). Definitely due for a SE.

4. Brendon

Brendon Second Unit

Sorry to resurrect the ghost of an old thread, but it seemed wiser than starting a new thread.

Does anyone have any news regarding a reissue of Evita on DVD? With the new West End/London stage production bringing in critical acclaim (& plenty of money!), it's quite likely that the new production will eventually open on Broadway too.

This being a given I'd imagine that if Disney/BV were planning on a reissue of the Alan Parker film then now would be the time to set the wheels in motion. The original DVD by todays standards is a touch anaemic; non anamorphic letterbox transfer, low bitrate DD 5.1 soundtrack, lacking in extras.

Given the financial potential of a reissue I can't see Criterion being given the license (sniff!), however much I would like the laser commentary etc together with a spiffy DTS soundtrack. Still, stranger things have happened (ie The Rock).

5. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

It's very likely if Buena Vista does bring it out, we'll get most of the extras from the Criterion laserdisc anyway - The English Patient, Sling Blade and Trainspotting featured the commentaries and at least some of the other material. It depends whether they're willing to bring over all the historical documentation and illustrated shooting script - DVDs sadly seem to be frequently dumbed down to eliminate fascinating text items found on laserdisc.

6. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

Would be great if this appears.
    Am taking my mum to see this for her birthday in London next weekend.
    Not much chance of a R2 SE here in the UK as rights are held by EiV (an independent distributor) who never seem to produce their own extras. They just tend to piggyback the extras from the R1 version, so saving the production cost of doing their own stuff.

7. Brendon

Brendon Second Unit

Malcolm,

I envy you seeing the new London revival! I heard 'I'd Be Suprisingly Good For You' from the new production on the radio this morning and it was little short of stunning!

The existing R2 disc managed the clever feat of being inferior to the R1 by virtue of a non anamorphic transfer AND only a Dolby 2.0 soundtrack. The R1 by comparison had the same 5.1 track as the laserdisc and the theatrical release.

I'll try and think that no news is good news and that BV or Criterion might spring a suprise on us sometime in the future. I can but hope...

8. Nick Laslett

Nick Laslett Stunt Coordinator

The French R2 release is very good.

DTS, Anamorphic, interview with Alan Parker, interview with cinematographer and scene specific cinematographer commentary.

You need to be able to turn-off the forced subs.

9. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    Okay, I'm ressurecting this thread yet again. Any word on a SE, or even an anamorphic remastering? I loved this film and I can't believe we're still saddled with the same old early, bare-bones disc.

10. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

Paramount released this in R2 Japan a while back. It's anamorphic and DD 5.1. No DTS, sadly.

11. Alejandro

Alejandro Stunt Coordinator

Believe or not, although I'm a big fan of this movie, I hadn't read The notoriousa "Madonna diaries" published in Vanity Fair around the release of the movie.
    This journal is a fascinating account of the ordeal and joys of makinfg a movie, from the point of view of the star who received the news she was pregnant in the middle of the shoot.
    Wouldn't it be grand if this special edition happens and they add an audio commentary from the material girl herself? I'm sure there are scenes from the film that will recall many interesting memories from her.

12. Clay_E

Clay_E Stunt Coordinator

Well, I could do without hearing Madonna's faux-British accent on a commentary track, but I do agree that an SE of this movie is long, long overdue. I actually have the Criterion LD of this movie, but my LD player isn't going to last forever. Hopefully there will eventually be a Special Edition containing the Criterion stuff...and sooner rather than later please!