What's new

Paramount+ Evil (Formerly on CBS) (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Here’s my question/random musing:

Is this a show that would have been canceled had it not shifted to Paramount+?

Broadcast networks and their advertisers seem to have unrealistic expectations for live viewer numbers and have for some time. Streaming doesn’t seem to operate the same way. If it’s the choice of a network show going away forever vs moving to a platform where the benchmarks it needs to hit are more realistic and sustainable, that seems better to me than outright cancelation.

But I understand and sympathize with the frustration.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Here’s my question/random musing:

Broadcast networks and their advertisers seem to have unrealistic expectations for live viewer numbers and have for some time. Streaming doesn’t seem to operate the same way. If it’s the choice of a network show going away forever vs moving to a platform where the benchmarks it needs to hit are more realistic and sustainable, that seems better to me than outright cancelation.

But I understand and sympathize with the frustration.
It played exactly one season on CBS and then was renewed for a second season on CBS. The second season is what's moving to Paramount+ without playing one episode on CBS.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't think so. "SEAL Team", which is also moving, was on the bubble. But "Evil" did well in its timeslot, even by CBS's higher than most standards.

As Robert wrote, it had already been renewed for a second a long time ago.

The only reason we haven't seen the second season is because COVID-19 drastically delayed shooting. But the second season has been in production for a while now.

So I would say this isn't a case of CBS wanting to be rid of it, rather the corporate execs making CBS take the hit in an effort to boost the shiny new streaming service.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The show also had BUZZ. Its reputation as a quirky AND quality show built as the season progressed. And as was said earlier, its first season was very popular on Netflix, so who knows what the network audience might have been for the show's second season. We'll never know now.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Interesting Variety interview with the Kings. Apparently they were editing the fifth episode when the news came down that the second season was going straight to Paramount+. Those episode had been edited to exactly fit a 42-minute time slot and comport with CBS's standards and practices. Once they learned of the change in plans, they went back and reedited them like a streaming show, adding scenes back in that had to be cut for time and pushing the boundaries a bit further in terms of language and sexuality.

TVLine also has a preview of the upcoming season with the stars and EPs of the show.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The second season premiere dropped today on Paramount+, picking up more or less exactly where the first season finale left off. Already one "fucker" that never would have been permitted on CBS. The picture quality is also a lot better than my local CBS's broadcast.

One thing that's becoming clear is that Kristen and Ben's lack of faith is a liability; Kristen has already been badly compromised (having a demon daughter, and having committed murder last season.) and now the same sort of forces that came after her are coming after Ben.

The Kings like to have naming rules for their shows. Last season's titles all had numbers in them. It looks like this season will be "[Letter] is for [Event]".

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I quite enjoyed the first episode of Season 2 of EVIL. It's been a long wait. With the CBS/Paramount+ streaming service already subscribed to, we were able to watch all of Season 1 originally, and then two more times waiting for the new season.

The show is being fed one episode per week on Sundays, rather than dropping a whole season at once. I actually prefer that - as "bingeing" a series just seems to make it go too quickly. I'd rather savor each episode.

Anyway, happy to have the show back. I enjoyed the extra five minutes of time, making the show seem a bit less rushed.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I am so tempted to take Amazon Prime up on their offer of $.99 for two months of Paramount+ Premium, but I know I'll lazily just let the two months go by and then continue to pay the $10 monthly rate. I wish the new season of The Good Fight was also showing now so I'd have both shows to watch during my "cheap" trial period.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I have Paramount+ for a year, but trying to decide whether I should continue to watch this show as I might give it up when my subscription runs out.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I am so tempted to take Amazon Prime up on their offer of $.99 for two months of Paramount+ Premium, but I know I'll lazily just let the two months go by and then continue to pay the $10 monthly rate. I wish the new season of The Good Fight was also showing now so I'd have both shows to watch during my "cheap" trial period.
THE GOOD FIGHT starts up again this coming Thursday, 6/24

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Today's episode reminded me a lot of Frailty, in which a Old Testament God and His fundamentalist believers can be at least as terrifying as demonic forces.

The first season dealt heavily with the forces of evil, and the absence of the other side (other than the human institution of the Catholic church) was really felt. And now that we might be getting glimpses of that other side, it's no more reassuring.

Really enjoying Andrea Martin's nun, seems tapped into greater forces than anybody else we've encountered on the side of the light. She knew what Leland was right off the bat.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The truth behind the Elevator game was legitimately bone-chilling, all the moreso because it didn't rely on the supernatural.

I have no idea where they're going with Kristen's mom.

Doug Wallen

Executive Producer
Real Name
Doug
I think Ben will have a lot to consider with all he is experiencing right now. I wonder how committed he will remain to non-belief.

I just don't trust Kristen's mom, at all. Seems like she is the second act after Leland last season.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's not exactly a new observation that justice takes one form for the powerful and connected, and another form for everybody else. But seeing it laid bare like that at the end of today's midseason finale was absolutely chilling.

I like that this season has been telling more stories with each of Kristen's daughters separately, and seeing their personalities emerge as individuals. In the first season, I usually thought of them as a single entity.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Today's episode felt a lot like The Nun, if the The Nun had been a better movie. And much like A Quiet Place and its sequel, the relative lack of dialog meant that the audio track had more impact rather than less.

This season has done a better job of providing both theological and secular explanations for a lot of what the team has encountered, rather than firming coming down on one side or the other. The exceptions (the goat being Leland met with last season, the girl with fire this season) are far outweighed by the more ambiguous moments.

In this case, these flesh-burrowing flies provide a secular explanation. But, at the same time, it's hard to believe that the cabinet opens and everyone becomes symptomatic the same night that Kristen speaks the first word at the monastery since its founding. And it further speaks to the consequences of Kristen having been corrupted by the end of the first season.

As a child of the eighties, the priests' use of those magic slates were a wonderfully nostalgic blast from the past, and a reasonable way to communicate without wasting paper or chalk.

Alexandra Socha gave a wonderful nonverbal performance as Sister Fenna. Her and Kristen really went on a journey over the course of the hour.

The location used for the "upstate" monastary was actually St. Josaphat's Monastary in Glen Cove, on Long Island. It was built by a public utility executive, who sold it to the Order of Saint Basil in 1944. Most of the Basilian Fathers in the US were trained there. While this isn't the first show or movie to film there, they usually enforce pretty strict morality requirements before granting permission. I'm assuming some of the more risque stuff in the episode was shot elsewhere.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I just started watching Evil in the last week. I virtually never watch any current shows as they air, but I had caught the final 15 minutes or so of the S1 E4 Rose390 which has the combined theme of "Bad Seed" and the VR (do they call it AR?) game. It caught my attention, because the "bad seed" idea has always been compelling to me, and I was floored that a network show actually went where this episode ultimately ended up going.

I'm 9 or 10 episodes in now.

Just some general thoughts. Kristen's night terrors are something I was plagued with throughout childhood. Sometimes essentially identical to what's portrayed, but generally being chased by some threat, sometimes realistic, sometimes not, with the inability to escape. Sometimes completely immobile, but often able to move so slowly, with great effort, that it made no real difference. I haven't thought about that in decades, but the show really brought it all back. I feared I'd they'd actually come back, the reaction was so intense. They haven't. FWIW, as an adult it seems abundantly clear what caused them for me as a child.

I'm generally enjoying the show. I like the ambiguity of it and how it presents different philosophies on an even ground. Supporting and disproving them all in turn. Not to give it gravity it might not deserve, but that's something that's pretty much vanished from our society.

Adam and others have mentioned things like Joan of Arcadia and Frailty. Both I'm a big fan of and no doubt why several of us enjoy this show. A recent episode I watched, with the song that invades everyone's mind, struck me very much as Buffy-esque. I think that was the same episode when Kristen's mother showed an alarmingly dark, even sadistic side. I'm curious where that will go. I also have to admit getting some very twisted satisfaction from the end of the episode with Leland encouraging a potential mass murderer. That has to have been the intended effect. Something you feel a little guilty about how you react to it.

I'm looking forward to limitations being reduced in the second season. I hope it lives up to its potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LostInSeattle
Recent bookmarks