Evil Ed Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Julie K, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Is anyone familar with the R2 Evil Ed disc?

The US version appears to be cut badly (which is ironic as the movie concerns a film editor who is driven mad by the horror movies he's censoring). However, there appears to be a fun/gory little movie between the cuts. Can anyone tell me if the R2 version is the same as the US version?

2. Gunnar Syren

Gunnar Syren Stunt Coordinator

This is interesting. I couldn't find any R2 release of Evil Ed other than the Swedish one, which runs 86 mins.

But there seems to be a VHS release in the UK that runs 89 mins.

And given the PAL speedup of 4%, the running time of the US release would correspond to about 83 mins PAL running time (assuming that the movie was shot on film and not on video).

I can't help but wonder if the 89 mins reported for the UK VHS is correct. I can't understand why a Swedish film would be released in a longer version in the UK than in Sweden.

3. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

The one released in Sweden and Norway is bare bones 1.66:1 nonanamorphic. I do not think this edition is available throughout Europe, as the company who releases it is mainly Scandinavian releases I think. I haven't seen it, but have kind of wanted it. The specifications aren't really a help though. The running time on this DVD is 90 minutes, the original had a running time of 93 minutes according to IMDB. With PAL speed-up those running times seem to add up reasonably well.
    Edit:
    Gunnar beat me to it, but I was curious to see that he said the running time was 86 minutes. According to this link (norwegian) the running time of the DVD is 90 minutes. This DVD is released by Scanbox on the Jupiter label. I thought the Swedish disc was identical? DVDForeningen probably got the details wrong?
    Edit2:
    This is a link to a swedish net store that sells this disc
    http://www.discshop.se/LIVE/shop/ds_...4690&id=30429&
    There are links to cover scans on both sites (although none in english) and the only difference seem to be the language. Both covers indicate a running time of 90 minutes. This could be incorrect of course.

4. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Thanks for the info, guys.

The disc I found is a Dutch version that is labeled 16x9 enhanced. They don't list the running time, though.

5. Gunnar Syren

Gunnar Syren Stunt Coordinator

Bjørn Olav,

You're right about the cover. I didn't actually check the cover image, I just read the technical info on Discshop and another Swedish shop (I forget which one) and they both said that the running time was 86 mins.