What's new

Evil Dead series DVDs (1 Viewer)

Brad Grenz

Second Unit
Someone want to give me the lowdown on all the different versions of these movies? I saw another version of Army of Darkness on the shelf the other day claiming to be the definitive version, but that's what the last one I bought said (and it didn't have the S-Mart ending!). And the weekend cirulars are advertizing the Book of the Dead edition of Evil Dead which comes out Tuesday. What does it have that the others didn't. I swear, these 3 movies have spawned several dozen DVDs, all different...

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Ok, this has been said many times before in many threads, but I'll answer because I've asked this question before:

Evil Dead 1: You want Book of the Dead for Extras and the original Anchor Bay edition for full-frame original edition with best transfer. You don't need the ELITE edition because it is just repetitious of both of those editions.

Evil Dead 2: Get the one with the cartoons on the front, THX edition.

Army of Darkness: Get the Anchor Bay one with Ash screaming on the front and the Bootleg Director's Cut.

That's it.

5 editions of 3 movies.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Adam pretty much hit it on the head... although I consider the full frame version of Evil Dead obsolete (the new one was done per the wishes of Sam Raimi and supervised by Bruce Campbell himself).
Get the Book of the Dead as soon as it comes out... I don't think they are making that many (although it may be limited in the Saving Private Ryan limited sense :) no one is sure)
The Bootleg Edition of Army of Darkness is 15 minutes longer, but goes sporadically (especially in the last battle scene) from DVD to bad VHS quality. I recommend getting the THX Theatrical Version also (the quality is much more consistant and it also contains a 5.1 track that the Bootleg Edition lacks). The Commentary on the Bootleg Cut is CLASSIC :D

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Ah, I know the new one is supervised by Sam and Bruce, but you gotta love the full-frame. Nostalgic value.

RicP

Screenwriter
Get the Book of the Dead as soon as it comes out... I don't think they are making that many
I read 20,000 somewhere.

Rob,

How does the Bootleg Edition of AOD compare to the "Limited Collectors 2-disc set" that was out awhile ago? I have the limited edition and I'm wondering if I'm missing anything that's on the "Bootleg" edition?

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
it is also the same as the 'Director's Cut Limited Edition' that came out a year or two ago... that is the one I have.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I'm about to buy the entire Evil Dead trilogy. Here are the versions of each film I'v decided on buying. My main interest is in quality of the transfers and surround track. Tell me if these are the best versions in terms of transfers.
Evil Dead
013131190397.jpg

Evil Dead II
013131118896.jpg

Army of Darkness
013131092691.jpg

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Evil Dead
Terrell: you're bound to get conflicting opinions about this one. However, the main thing to keep in mind is that this transfer is taken from the original elements and features the aspect ratio preferred by Sam Raimi, even if many fans disagree with it. I think it's the superior choice.

DJ

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I too prefer the matting because it does cramp the compositions, which means a far more claustrophobic, off-kilter and unsettling visual experience - perfect for such a film. In other words, less is more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks