Evil Dead 2 SE Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_D, Aug 31, 2001.

1. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

Are the special features on the limited edition tin the same as on the regular special edition? I got the tin when it came out, but I really don't like it, especially asince the DVD ios just in a simple CD case inside. A much better idea would be to have the normal snapper (with full cover art), inside the tin itself, so that you could display the DVD along with all your others on the shelf and keep the tin somewhere else... OUT OF SIGHT... those tins suck!
    P.S. If anyone has a sealed copy of the regular se, I'd trade them for my MINT tin (as long as the SE has the same features)!

2. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

The discs themselves are identical.
    -Adam, who is among the few who like the tins
    ------------------
    My DVD list | My personal site

3. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

The standard Evil Dead II DVD does NOT come in a "snapper" thank the Old Ones.
    ..what's that wooshing sound I hear coming at my doo....AHHH
    ------------------
    -Kevin M.
    "Have a good time all the time........that's my philosophy, Marty."

4. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

Wait... sorry... I meant keep case!

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Paul,
    The content of the 2 are identical.
    One question however, why on earth did you buy the tin in the first place? The point of the tin is the physical appearance, specifically to be displayed. You made it quite clear you hoped that the tin contained a regualar case instead, and then you could hide the tin away, "out of site" in your words.
    So that begs the question, if you wanted to just pull a keepcase out of the tin and hide the tin in the closet, why did you buy a tin version in the first place? I could see if you wanted to put a case on your shelf and diaply the tin elsewhere, but you made it clear that you wanted to hide the tin away from the viewing world.
    The tin is a specific collectors piece, I believe every anchor bay title offering a tin also offered the same content on a keepcase version. The tin are specifically for display.
    -Vince
    ------------------
    http://www.musicianassist.com
    AIM: VinceMaskeeper
    Interested in moving into FRONT PROJECTION with huge 6-10 foot widescreen? Buy my whole HDTV-ready CRT based front projection system delivered, cheap! Click here

6. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

Doesnt the tin version have a demo of the Evil Dead video game whereas the regular keepcase version doesnt?
    Hardly a feature to justify buying the tin for, but since someone was asking.....

7. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

I had never bought or seen an 'Anchor Bay collector's tin' before. Living in England means that you only get to see a photo/scan on the cover art before you buy R1 discs. I was especially disappointed with the CD case holder for the DVD inside - expecting something more ornamental. I only came up with 'keepcase within a tin' idea with my current experience of collector's tins in mind - which is explained in the following paragraphs.
    As Evil Dead 2 is one of my favourite films, at the time of release I was confused and enticed by the marketing tools 'limited edition' and 'special collector's tin' without actually considering the practical advantages of owning the tin. I have subsequently bought no more tins (only because there havent been any since that I wanted to buy), so the Evil Dead 2 protrudes rudely from my shelf to me persistent irritation.
    As I gaze along the row of titles, all conforming to the same dimensions, creating a blissful symmetry that makes the rows perfect.... and then I come to the end and the TIN rises up out of perfect line and RUINS the perfection (I know this sounds insane but I'm purposely overdoing it, so that my point is sufficiently gotten across - my true felling, put simply is that it doesn't fit in, and I would prefer that it did, and that I didn't consider this possibility when buying).
    Does this explain WHY I bought the tin, and why I no longer want it?

8. Don Myles

Don Myles Stunt Coordinator

Paul,
    Why don't you just come up with some artwork and make yourself a keepcase version or get someone to scan theirs for you?
    Don

9. David Albrecht

David Albrecht Stunt Coordinator

When I bought the Repo Man Tin, I just naturaly figured there would be a keep case inside, and that I could display the Tin separately.
    So to remedy the situation, I searched the web (with Google of coarse) to look for Repo Man artwork. After I found some good stuff, I brought it into my Windows 98 PAINT program and made my own cover art... complete with the Red Repo Man letters down the spine. Took a few trys to get the size just right. Then I printed it out on good Photo paper (I like the Office Depot high gloss, thicker then most).
    Next went down to Circuit City and picked up one of those "Another Online Loser" free sign up discs, that comes in a VERY CHEAP keep case. Swapped this cheaper keep case with another I was gonna sell anyways, inserted the new artwork, and presto got myself something nice that fits right in with my other DVDs.
    By the way, "The Offensive Tin" still sits proudly next to my other DVDs.

10. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

With Anchor Bay's recent re-authoring of Evil Dead under the supervision of Bruce Campbell with a newly remixed DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 soundtrack and (possibly) 16x9-enhanced widescreen picture from the best source material available, how long do you think it will be before they have something like this?:
    Evil Dead II (improved anamorphic enhanced transfer-- 1.85:1 ratio).
    Remixed DTS-ES Discrete 6.1
    Remixed Dolby Digital EX 5.1
    extras
    new commentary by Bruce Campbell and/or Sam Raimi
    etc.
    Limited and Collector's Edition
    Dan
    ------------------
    Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

11. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

Considering that the current Evil Dead II disc already has a great anamorphic transfer, a nicely remixed 5.1 track, and a commentary track, I'm doubtful another Evil Dead II DVD will be coming along in the foreseeable future. Unlike Evil Dead, here's no compelling reason for another disc.
    ------------------

12. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

13. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

Damin: The first widescreen home video presentation of The Evil Dead (yes, this is 'controversial' and a number of threads have already been started about this, so let's not delve into this here), the inclusion of at least portions of Within The Woods, and the inclusion of Bruce Campbell's Fanalysis, to name three reasons... I apologize if I didn't make it clear in my earlier post that I was referring to a compelling reason for Anchor Bay to produce another disc.
    ------------------

14. Wes Ray

Wes Ray Supporting Actor

My local K-Mart lowered the prices on their horror DVDs from Anchor Bay and Columbia/Tri-Star. I'm gonna try to pick up the non-tin version of this this weekend for $12.99. Good deal?

15. Mathias Klemme

Mathias Klemme Stunt Coordinator

If you're in the UK, why not get the new R2 Special Edition that comes out in October? It has the same specs as the R1 from Anchor Bay.
    Mathias

16. Ricky f

Ricky f Supporting Actor

17. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

I started getting the tins, but then thought f**k it, they're so easy to damage, very expensive, and impossible to store well on the shelf.
    I'm sticking with the regular versions, all the way from now on.
    Of course, I'll get the limited editions if they come with DVD content (Bad Taste, The Wicker Man, Suspiria, etc.) but if all that's extra is packaging, then no thanks.

18. Ricky f

Ricky f Supporting Actor

19. Carol Razavi

Carol Razavi Stunt Coordinator

I'm also one of the few that like tins. I love it when AB announces a new one for a movie I'm looking forward to. They look great on my shelf, although that might be b/c I own more than one. I think they look really cool sitting together. They're kind of like collectables to me, although I have no plans to sell them. I like the look of them, but I know many don't.I was actually upset to hear Suspiria and opera weren't coming as tins (though I am very happy with the LE that are out). I was also upset that Re-animator won't even come out from Anchor Bay let alone their annoucned tin that they talked about last year.
    Tins I own:
    Hellraiser
    Evil Dead 2
    Maniac
    Repo Man
    The Beyond
    Let Sleeping Corpses Lie
    I'm also gonna get Halloween 4
    ------------------
    My DVD List at DVD Aficionado