Evil Dead 2 - My thoughts on the DVD and the film itself.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mitch Stevens, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

Today, I received Evil Dead 2 from Netflix.com, and just got done watching it. It had been exactly 10 years since I last had seen it. This was my second time ever watching it. The movie itself was not how I remembered it. I no longer like it. It's an "ok" film, but it was not as funny as I once thought it was. When watching it today, it felt like I was watching a 5 hour long movie, from how slow the pacing is.

I must say that DVD transfer is simply jaw dropping! I watched it on my Sony Wega, and the film looked simply amazing. It has a razor sharp image from beginning to end, with outstanding shadow details that it not usually seen on older films of this kind. Throughout the entire film, I just kept thinking how amazing it looked. If there are any faults on this transfer, I could not find them.

Could the quality of DVD be too high? There is a part in the movie, when a woman is screaming, and she accidentally swallows a flying eyeball. Now, I don't exactly remember how it looked on VHS, because as I said, it had been 10 years since I last saw it, but on this outstanding DVD transfer, you could CLEARLY see that the eyeball isn't really flying through the air; Instead, it is being held by a black rod being pushed by someone unseen.

In my opinion, Evil Dead 2, was a much better movie than Army Of Darkness (which is the 3rd installment). I bought Army Of Darkness on DVD, without ever having seen it before, and was very disappointed. It didn't interest me at all. I don't know why they insisted on making a 3rd one, when the second one was already going downhill. I know there are tons of people out there who are huge fans of all three films, so please don't get angry with my opinions. Not every movie was made for every person.

2. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

3. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

IMO the second film is easily the best of the series. The third is very, very good, and the first is comparatively weak. In fact, the second is more like a re-tread of the first, fixing sets, pacing and comedy, so I don't really consider 2 a sequal, more like a reworking.

4. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

The EVIL DEAD TRILOGY is excellent, and is easily one of my favorite film series! I love all three films equally, and own all of the best DVD versions of each. And I agree with Damin, they didn't go downhill at all!

5. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

IMO, Ash also changed from one movie to another as well. In Evil Dead, he is a wimp, in Evil Dead 2 he's the average guy, and in Army of Darkness he is a badass that isn't afraid of nothing. I like the 2nd and 3rd installments the best. With these kind of movies you are only truly satisfied when you don't expect much out of it. Origianly the series was supposed to be all horror, but they soon realized that making fun of horrors would be much better. You can't expect to see a brilliant movie when watching these for the first time, or else you'll be disappointed.

6. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

I like the 2nd one the best too and the theatrical cut of AofD better than the D.C. (which I feel has too many repetitive scenes during the final battle, although I liked the short love-making part, but I don't like the change in the cool, crowd-pleasing line from the original: Evil Ash: "Goody little two-shoes, goody little two-shoes!" BLAM!! Good Ash: "Good?! Bad?! I'm the one with the gun!;" and hate the new ending).

Evil Dead 2, as stated before, is a slightly higher budgeted remake of the first, not a deliberate sequel to it. So, 2 and 3 are the combined storyline. The original Evil Dead is cool to watch just so you can see how much they improved things with the re-shoot on 2 IMHO.

Dan

7. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

8. Dan M

Dan M Second Unit

I don't see how the second could be considered a sequel. The 1st and 2nd are virtually identical! Sure seems like a reworking to me.

I also don't see how anyone could say these movies are slow paced IMO. Evil Dead 2 is my fav out of the 3 and it moves along rather speedily I say! It's a campy, silly gore fest that entertains every time. Great commentary BTW.

I also reccommend the new Millineum Edition of Night Of The Living Dead. VERY entertaining and informative commentary by Judith O'dea (Barbara) and various members of the cast.

9. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

10. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

Damin is a 100% correct. ED 2 is a sequel, NOT a remake! Raimi and Campbell have explained this before.

11. Rich Romero

Rich Romero Supporting Actor

The original Evil dead is easily the best. I tire of AOD and ED II easily, while the original has more replay value.

12. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

You can clearly see this on the VHS as well.

13. Rich Romero

Rich Romero Supporting Actor

Except George Romero's "Dead" Trilogy of course.

14. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

You may be right Rich, but I feel Day is the weak link in the series that prevents it from achieving "Best Trilogy Ever" status.

That being said, I can't friggin wait for the anchor bay Special Editions next year.

15. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

There ought to be a poll on the subject...I prefer II, then Army, then the original a poor third. Horror films are a dime a dozen, but truly funny horror/comedy is rare. The only film that ranks with EDII, I think, is Return of the Living Dead.

16. Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman Supporting Actor

17. Aaryn Chan

Aaryn Chan Supporting Actor

Having seen Evil Dead 2 first, I really liked it and was curious about ED1. It the end, I think I like them in order.

I like ED1 because it's my fav horror movie. ED2 is because of Campbell. He became the center stage. ED3 is because it's part of a series I like. There's were some funny oneliners. I just didn't like the setting that much.

18. MartEvans

MartEvans Stunt Coordinator

QUOTE "That being said, I can't friggin wait for the anchor bay Special Editions next year."

Matt,

Do you know if this will include another version of NOTLF? Should I wait or just get the Millenium edition that is out there now?

19. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    Night of the Living...Feet? [​IMG] Assuming you meant NOTLD, Anchor Bay has announced no plans on releasing a new version of it and only plan on doing new discs of the second and third films. I wouldn't hold back on Elite's recent Millennium edition.
    DJ