Evidence of Super Audio Demand with Classical Fans

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Scoggins, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Friends,

We have often debated here whether Super Audio was getting any traction. Most have agreed that SACD has been particularly popular with jazz and classical fans. Today, a story on HFR discusses its popularity with specific references to the Billboard Classical chart:

Mahler #1 - #3 on Billboard

Mahler #6 - #6 on Billboard

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...umber=15887282

This is amazing for such limited releases by the San Francisco Symphony. Both these discs have superb sonics and are DSD all the way.

The story talks about Mahler 6 selling out on its initial run and will be reissued. It is also the first SACD to garner a Grammy award.

Great news for those of us who love classical music and Super Audio.

[​IMG]

2. robertLP

robertLP Stunt Coordinator

I'll second the comments about the 6th - I have that set and it's fantastic. Actually, I think it was the review from HFR that prompted me to purchase it.

Question, though. If I only bought it for the redbook layer - I don't own an SACD player & don't plan on owning one for awhile - how exactly did I help SACD gain 'traction'? I also bought the Mannheim Steamroller HDCD's but I'm pretty sure me & the millions of others who have it aren't listening to it on HDCD-encoded players.

3. Seth_S

Seth_S Second Unit

Claiming that sales of those discs are reflections that SACD is gaining traction is misleading. Since the recordings were only issued as hybrids, a lot of people who don't own SACD players could be buying them, and I suspect that's true.

4. Michael St. Clair

5. Tomoko Noguchi

Tomoko Noguchi Second Unit

Well, here in Japan, sales of SACD are growing and DVD-A is not.

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Meanwhile, all those George Szell single-layer SACDs from Sony are collecting dust at every Best Buy store I've been to. [​IMG]

7. Mark All

Mark All Second Unit

I suspect there may have been a correlation between the Grammy Award win and the demand for the recording. Why was it in limited release though? Not enough demand before the award? The article does tout the virtue of it being released on SACD, so it should help the format out a little even if only to get those with CD-only players to wonder what the SACD-thing is all about.

8. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

Highly misleading.

If Norah Jones' CD came with a DVD of her music video, then by your logic - that would be the biggest selling DVD of all time.

9. Michael St. Clair

10. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I would suspect that there is a decent % of people buying those hybrids for the SACD layer. With most labels, the hybrids cost more than the regular CDs. One can go to Best Buy and buy a Telarc hybrid for $15.99 and the regular CD is less money. Same is true for Rounder Records, Mobile Fidelity, Chesky, etc. Although both formats have not done a great job with education, people are simply not that stupid. Now the Stones might be a whole different argument since they are regular price CDs in the CD section with nothing about SACD on the outside. For the CCR hybrids at $25, either people are CCR freaks or SACD fans. On the flip side, with the attractive pricing of Warner DVD-As that are practically the same price as CDs, and being Warner is a major player in the DVD-A arena, there are probably around same or even a smaller % of people buying it for the DVD-A vs. DD and DTS mixes than those buying SACD hybrids for the CD layer. With other cos., like EMI, with a $25 list that likely is not true.

11. Seth_S

Seth_S Second Unit

12. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

13. Seth_S

Seth_S Second Unit

Lee Scoggins,

I think it's more than reasonable to assume that the small minority of SACD player owners did not buy more copies of these two recordings than CD owners, especially considering the general popularity of MTT.

14. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

15. Seth_S

Seth_S Second Unit

Lee,

Do you agree that the MTT Mahler discs are a poor way of gauging classical SACD sales since they are first release hybrid discs?

Boulez's upcoming Mahler 3 on DG is being released as redbook and SACD without CD layer shortly. That will give us a much better of idea of how well classical music is selling on SACD.

16. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

17. Seth_S

Seth_S Second Unit

Lee,

That's because they've been using old PCM masters to create the DSD transfers for catalogue releases to save money (many of which were poorly recorded to start with). I can't imagine DG being so backwards that they would not have created a DSD transfer from the master tapes since this is a brand new recording, but I guess we'll find out soon enough. The release will also benefit from having been recorded in the Musikverein.