What's new

Evidence of Sonic Differences in Cables (1 Viewer)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
So what is it that you propose in the way of say amplifications? Can you give me an idea of various brands/models that should work? Now if it takes a certain amp with specifications and certain types of speakers, don't you think its a little disingenuous for george or for that matter yourself to suggest alternatives to monster or my suggestion of good old Sound King? Yeah, we all want to be like Mike but at least GatorAid is sort of reasonably priced (and btw, GatorAid's testing is flawed also).
I'm familiar with the StereoPhile article you cited. You should read Bev's paper in its entirety not the attempt by the magazine to take what she studied out of context. And you do realize this was done through headphones using test tones as is common. What Stereophile is saying and what Ms. Wrights tests sought to do are two different things and it is certainly not her personal position, based upon hers and others works, that audiophiles have some special ability to discern the types of differences that are being marketed.
Hearing tests by themselves will not tell you much that's substantive about the abilities of a given reviewer. Standard hearing tests only tell you the threshold of
hearing at the frequencies tested. They tell you little about the linearity . And just what information is provided about perception above threshold? If your threshholds are uniformly elevated, then all you need is to have all the sounds made just a bit louder, no?
However I dare say virtually all of us have the equipment readily available at our homes to properly determine whether or not sonic differences exist between cables. Take a gander at http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...53Drec.audio.*
Damn, that looks like a long ass link on my pc screen.
But you've got to admit Lee, my desire to put up cable even crappier than SoundKing is giving you every opportunity. Hope the weekend goes well for you Lee.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
So what is it that you propose in the way of say amplifications? Can you give me an idea of various brands/models that should work? Now if it takes a certain amp with specifications and certain types of speakers, don't you think its a little disingenuous for george or for that matter yourself to suggest alternatives to monster or my suggestion of good old Sound King?
Sound King! :laugh: Are they still in business? :laugh:
I was thinking of:
Source components of Super Audio to reveal exquisite high level of detail and dynamics and midrange purity:
Sony SCD1 or 777ES (SCD or XA, they sound similar although I would like to include a multichannel track with the XA :))
Pre-amp with just very neutral gain stage, for example:
Audio Research LS25
Hovland Preamp
Pass Labs X-1
Amps with enough balls to creat realistic orchestral works and textures with air around the musicians, for example:
Audio Research tube amplifiers
Pass Labs solid state
Lamm tube amps
Speakers that are highly revealing and offer micro and macro dynamic detail, for example:
Magneplanar 3.6s
Revel Studios
Avalon Acoustics
JM Lab Utopia
Wilson Audio System 7
Cables that have been known to be exceptionally neutral, for example:
Cardas Golden Reference
Nordost Valhalla or SPM
Kimber Select Series
Some sample music tracks we might use:
Mahler Symphony #6, Michael Tilson Thomas, any track
John Williams The Magic Box, "Engome"
Keb Mo, The Door, "Loola Lu"
FIM IV, Tracks 11 and 16, chinese instrumentals
Mobile Fidelity, Duke Ellington, Blues in Orbit, Track 3 Pie Eyes Blues
All of this backed up with good AC line conditioning, ideally PS Audio AC regenerator and used with a solid equipment rack to eliminate microphonics.
Remember Chu, we agreed that components do not matter, the goal is to create just an example of sonic difference in the cable all else being equal.
:)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
However I dare say virtually all of us have the equipment readily available at our homes to properly determine whether or not sonic differences exist between cables.
I think not. I have seen some really poor home systems in my day. We are trying to highlight the differences so high resolution systems are required.
In any event, I am not out to prove component-based sonic differences exist, that is self-evident.
If not, we would all have Bose systems. :D
As for that Google link, rec.opinion is free and you often het what you pay for, same as Audio Asylum. Steve Zipser's attempt to show amp differences is admirable but not germaine here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks