Everytime I play Bjork's IT'S NOT UP TO YOU I get a quesy feeling

Discussion in 'Music' started by Rachael B, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    It's the third cut on VESPERTINE with all the popping noises. Every time I play it I get this ill feeling that it can't be good for speakers. Even if it isn't, I stille get a clam-y feeling... Tweeter torture?

2. AricB

AricB Second Unit

are you listening in hirez multi channel? do you know if there is a dolby digital 5.1 track, I cant seem to find it, i tried last night?

3. gregD

gregD Second Unit

There's Something About Bjork-y...

My speakers also snap to attention on many of her tracks -- precision sonics deluxe!... but no damage, after many spins.

Vespertine is her finest to date, as each new recording seems to top the previous... didn't happen overnight, but I'm a confirmed Bjork-head... can't wait for more hi-res titles, the new disc, the tour.

Am always on the lookout for out-there, artsy females: Laurie Anderson, Kate Bush, Evelyn Glennie, Diamanda Galas...

The 5.1 layer of Vespertine is worth accessing, if only to hear what seems like a different mix... but the hi-res layer is the reason to have this disc.

4. AricB

AricB Second Unit

Im not sure if you guys have the sacd or dvd-a? i have the dvd-a, which i had hooked up to my 6 ch analog inputs, but now i have a sacd player hooked up to them, so i only use the dolby digital or dts tracks on dvd-a, which i have bjorks vespertine, but i can seem to access it, i only get the regular 2 channel downsampled mix? ive tried searching groups, but I can only find 2 and 3 needs some code to open up, whats this about?

5. gregD

gregD Second Unit

Mine's the DVDA... and I'm not sure I can be of much help.

I've got 2 players, one of which I use only for hi-res, and the other is a Pioneer combi-player (DVD, CD, LD) which simply defaults to DD5.1 when i play Vespertine... I looked at the disc menu for the first time just now, and was unable to find a way to make any audio settings... makes me think this disc is minimally set up to allow the player to simply detect the highest available resolution and play it back... which suggests you might have to program your player to default to DD5.1 before playing the disc.

And that's a guess.

I accidentally stumbled across some kind of codes also... no clue.

6. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I have both the CD and the DVD-A and both make me nervous about my speakers. The strange electronic tones of this piece sound like they're hell for speakers. It makes me nervous every time I play it in any format. I've played the DVD-A every way but the DVD-V compatible track. I'm not getting the SACD since I bought the bleeder twice already. I like it but stille it makes me quessey because the tones are so extreame. Off the top of my head I can't recall another piece of music that has ever made me feel nervous like this. There proably is other music that could, but I haven't encounted it yet. It seems way more violent sounding than any scratchin' that I've heard.

I just wondered if this piece made others nervous too? Snap, crackle, pop![​IMG]

7. AricB

AricB Second Unit

I'd check it out, but I cant seem to get it to play correctly, yet?

8. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Aric, I'm at a loss as to why you can't play the third cut! [​IMG] Why don't you hook up the stereo analog outs of your DVD-A player till it gets a turn at the 5.1 input again? Hi-rez stereo is nice too and Vespertine has that also. The electronic tones of IT'S NOT UP TO YOU vibrate tweeters immensely, CD or DVD-A.

Some of them sound like vinyl record pops sampled to me. What ya'all think?

9. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler

Certainely is within her vein, see the ending of "The Modern Things" from POST.

I have noticed similar samples and techniques in some of Aphex Twin and Boards of Canada's (just to name a few) music. Which would make sense, due to their huge influence on her. Some of them are almost used as a light beat. Kind of like an air generated tick.

Rachael in regards to "It's Not Up to You", I believe the intent is that old 78 scratching sound.