What's new

"Everytime HOLLYWOOD...VIETNAM WAR...they got it WRONG"...err...how wrong is wrong? (1 Viewer)

YANG

Screenwriter
Just re-watch "WE WERE SOLDIERS" last night,watched the making of-featurette again...and this thought came to me...just how wrong is wrong?
The actual chaotic scenario during that time?
Or the emotional part during that time?

Looking back at war vietnam war film made during the 70's till late 80's...yes...most of these films do not capture what was happening to the families of the soldiers during that period.

The first two films that comes to my mind is PLATOON and HAMBURGER HILL.Which focus only to the character of the films,nothing got to do with the families.
(Personally,i feel that H.H is more to an action flick rather a war drama.PLATOON and APOCALYPSE NOW captures the emotional part of brotherhood.)

How about BORN ON THE FORTH OF JULY,HEAVEN AND EARTH,DEER HUNTER?
Although BOTFOJ focus on the vetaran life RON KOVIC,the family part does not missed out by the filmmakers...
The same goes to HEAVEN and EARTH,DEER HUNTER...

Human emotion can be fucked up by big events,especially chaotic and traumatic ones.Most commonly if someone you cares and love dies by your side when you are in the middle of the fight.The few titles as mentioned,managed to capture these emotional part.

So...does HAL MOORE implies to the action part?

John Macri

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Yang:

I believe Hal Moore was refering to the political agenda of the filmakers (Oliver Stone in particular) and/or screenwriters who to varying degrees, injected their beliefs about America's involvement in Vietnam into the films. Platoon for example, in which almost every improper (drug abuse, cowardice, etc.), or criminal (murder, abuse of civilians and US soldiers) act was routine behavior among the soldiers.

WWS was the first time an officer above captain rank was shown as competent and empathetic for his men as well as respectful of the NVA. Most Vietnam war movies with few exceptions (Go Tell The Spartans) dwelled on the later years, or on non-elite units where competance & morale was low and officer command poor.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks