What's new

Everything looks terrible on my new Sharp 32" TV! (1 Viewer)

Aaron_R_B

Grip
Hello ...

I just bought a Sharp 32" flat tube TV (32U-F500) and I hate it. My biggest issue is that my DirecTV picture now looks terrible. Bright edges are way too harsh and it's now painfully obvious that DirecTV utilizes MPEG-1 technology ... too much blockiness inherent in lower-quality digital video. I'm connecting my satellite receiver directly to the Sharp via s-video (no component out on the receiver) and I've adjusted the contrast, sharpness, brightness, etc. in accordance with THX video setup tests. What should I do? The Sharp is obviously less forgiving with my less-than-videophile standard video sources and I don't wish to upgrade my satellite receiver, DVD player, etc. right now. Should I downgrade my TV to a non-flat tube that will take away the harsh edges? Any input would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

AB

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I'm assuming you upgraded from a smaller tube? The problem with upgrading to a larger tube is that the deficiencies of your source become apparent.

Do all your DirecTV channels look bad? I know with Dish Network on my new 32" tube, some channels look absolutely horrible, while others are pretty darn good.

You might look for a Velocity Scan Modulation, or some simarly named adjustment on your set, and turn it off. This is an "edge enhancement" setting that usually looks horrible when on.

Another thing you might try is DOWNGRADING your connection to composite video. If your picture is too harsh, this will soften it some, at the expense of some detail.

Assuming your other sources look okay, there's not much else you can do... aside from complain to DirecTV about the poor picture quality. Enough complaints and they may reduce the compression... you could also win the lottery (more likely). The DBS companies seem to compress signals to the point where the picture is passable on a 27" screen, since that is the most common size.

-Scott

Aaron_R_B

Grip
Thanks, Scott.

Yep - I had only been watching a 19" Philips before ... quite a difference. I've noticed that many channels are passable, but some, especially sports networks during actual events, are almost unwatchable and give me a headache.

Unfortunately, I can't find any way to adjust edge enhancement other than the generic 'contrast' setting. This set is severely lacking in advanced settings.

I'm thinking about trading it in for a 27" Wega instead since I'd like to have 16:9 enhancement. I don't think I have room for a 32" Wega. Hmmmm ... unsure ...

AB

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I have the same television, and it looks quite plush. I'm using component, with AR pro series. I used the Sound and Vision Home Theater Tune-Up disc. I'm truly happy with this model, although it is just an interim set while I finish interior work. Nothing fancy on the DVD player either, just a Samsung $149.00 special.

I do have a slight geometry issue, but they are going to take care of that under warranty.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Aaron: At this point I think you're more used to the sort of picture a 19-inch TV provides. You're seeing everything blown up now (by comparison). Which means you're seeing more clearly many of the flaws in broadcast and cable television. Watch more DVDs for peace of mind. JB (And calibrate the set to the best of your ability.) :)

Trevor H

Second Unit
Aaron, if you think DirecTV looks bad on a 32" you should see it on my new 57" like Jack said watch more DVD's, that's what I have been doing and they look great.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Aaron, I could PM you what I have mine set at. I do not watch tv or direcTV....only DVD's. I did not access the service menu, my slight geometry error, will be fixed at no charge. So no need for me to go screw everything up. I constantly get compliments on the rich picture. These are guys with mammoth sets too!
Mind you my setting may appear dark at first, but I did it as close as possible on the S & V disc. I also prefer a soft blue neon light behind my television , but that is totally against the general public here who prefer the daylight. I hope you have been helped.

Aaron_R_B

Grip
Thanks to everyone for all of their comments and assistance. I think I'll stick with the Sharp and deal with the DirecTV flaws. Still need to figure out how to modify the edge enhancement, though. Bright edges on DVDs are still a bit too harsh.

Thanks again.
AB

Time to bring to life an older thread:

I just bought the Sharp 32UF500. I can't seem to get rid of the shimmering colors in any DVD picture with high contrast and hard horizontal edges. I have both S-video and Composite cables hooked up. I have it hooked up to a Pioneer DV-45A Player. Also, while using the composite cables my reds are WAY too bright. I don't have a tune-up disc yet but I tried using the THX Optimizer on one of the DVD's I have. Any ideas? Is this normal from a 32" flat screen TV. I am coming from a 27" Toshiba.

Thanks, PAT

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
DBS satellite is over-compressed as hell. A few digital cable systems are better, but most are not.

There's not much that can be done to fix it. If you watch mostly regular networks, get a good antenna and the picture quality will blow DirecTV away.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
I saw one of these units at Best Buy a while back and thought they looked the best out of all the other 32"flat screens next to it.

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
I own this set also and also think it is almost too sharp on edges at times, probably due to the scan velocity modulation. I bought this set at Best Buy. Part of my decision was based on the fact that this set was the only 32" flat screen that had a deep enough top to accomadate my center channel speaker and that at 30 inches wide it was the only set that would fit my elite high boy stand , all the other sets were too wide, due to having the speakers on the sides rather than beneath the set. I have also noticed the occasional rainbow shimmering on vertical lines although I've had no geometry problems like I've heard plague some of the Wega and JVC sets. No vertical squeeze though for anamorphic dvs's. It is around fifty to 100 dollars less than the jvc or sony sets however. Toshiba actually had the best looking 32" analog flat screen to me but again, too wide for my stand. The sharp's low color temperature setting seems the best of the sets I looked at.I have never owned any sharp products before overall I'd give it 4 on a 1-5 scale. I've always bought sony televisions before , in fact this set replaces a six year old vertically flat trinitron , which was a good set . Unfortunately it had no adjustment for color temperature and had a way too blue picture . So even though the sharp was a compromise for me it looks amazing calibrated with video essentials on my longtime reference dvd , The Fifth Element. I'm overall very happy with the Sharp UF500. I am using it in my bedroom system. My Sony RPTV, in my main system, has a smoother more "filmlike" picture but it cost three times as much. I would say it's a good choice for a bedroom or small home theater system.

Mark Leitch

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up a used Monster HTS 2000 and put it on my TV... the picture improved dramatically (including running the coax input through it... very easy to A/B the results).

M.

Chris,
So are you just putting up with the rainbow shimmering? I have turned the sharpness all the way down, but it has not helped much. Are you using component cables? I am still trying to figure out why my component output is so red.
I too bought the Sharp because it fit on my stand. I did not need the big speakers on the sides like some of the other models, since I am hooking it up to my receiver for the sound. I think it is a great set if I could only get it to look less sharp on some edges.

PAT

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
Patrick, I only really notice the shimmering on static images , like menus and program guides. I rarely notice it on actual program material . I calibrated color and tint with video esentials using the blue filter and wound up with color set at 36 out of the maximum 50. Since most sets push red , I backed it off to 32 for color . Tint needed to be set at -12 from the middle position and I leave sharpness at 0. I am using component cables for dvd and s-video for satellite and my vcr . I have contrast at 24 and brightness also at 24 using the pluge bars on VE. Best Buy gave me a "free" dvd player for buying the set . I gave it to a friend and hooked it to his old toshiba 32" via s-video, damned if that freebie dvd player didn't look darn good ! I'ts the mintek 1600. As long as the Sharp lasts me ten years or so without trouble I'm not gonna complain. Mine looks great with dvd's in the low color temperature setting , this alone made it worth the money over my old Sony set. You may want to check the latest consumer reports TV rating issue . They gave it the same rating on the criteria they check for as the JVC set , their #2 pick but downgraded the Sharp for being too expensive for the amount of features provided.

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
There may be a way to disable or turn down the scanning velocity modulation on this set, via the service menu. If anyone knows their way around the service menu on a Sharp tv please post it . I'm almost sure that is the cause of the hard edges.

Chris, thanks for the info. I see the rainbow/shimmering effect on whole DVD's. If there is anything in the picture with vertical lines I see it. When I run the THX Optimizer from Star Wars, when it gets to the one screen about sharpness with all the lines at the bottom all I see is one big rainbow over the tight lines. Otherwise I think it is a great set. I will change my setting again and put it on low temp setting instead of medium. I will also have to look for a VE disc.

PAT

Aaron_R_B

Grip
Hello, it's me ... the original poster. Not that anyone cares, but I ended up returning the 32U-F500. I just couldn't watch it any more. Picked up a Wega instead, and I am much more happy with the overall picture, although I'm experiencing problems with it as well ... that's another issue. (Flagging effects.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks