What's new

Everything Everywhere All at Once (2022) (1 Viewer)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the "extra minutes" is actually just an introduction from the Daniels, plus a blooper reel at the end (which is on the disc). I don't think there is actually any new footage added to the movie. This isn't a directors' cut or other such extended edition.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
@Josh Dial is right.

I received an email from the A24 mailing list today which explicitly states:

This weekend, Everything Everywhere All At Once is back in theaters across the US and UK featuring a special intro from the Daniels and post-credits bloopers and outtakes.​

If A24 feels they can get more money out of the film theatrically, that's their business and I'm not going to complain about it. But I'm good with my Blu-ray at this point. I already saw the film on the biggest screen available back in April. The re-release is here in one of the smaller auditoriums. I don't feel the need to go again to have a lesser experience than I did last time. Plus, the initial release a few months ago is not old enough yet to make a re-release feel special.

But I do respect the Daniels for not going in and adding footage just to get repeat business. They made the movie that they wanted to make the first time, and that is admirable.

Last edited:

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I bought the Blu-Ray when it came out a little while ago and just watched it yesterday. I watched the special features today.

What a wild film. Loads of fun and the special features show how much work they put into this. And while watching it I did pause and then go at 1/8 speed for some of the wild rapid fire visits.

And if you thought the hot dog fingers universe was too silly, in the deleted scenes they show another universe that they removed that was possibly even too much for this film.
Spaghetti Baby Noodle Boy. If you search for it you can probably see a video of the scene or part of it.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
First viewing earlier today on Blu-Ray. Marvelous. Surreal. Absurd. Empathetic. Kinetic. Inventive. Heartfelt.

The film lives up to its title with a bit of Everything in it. I was struck by how deftly the filmmakers managed the chaos of the story. The camera work in particular stood out for organizing the narrative in terms of framing and movement in the frame. Wonderful editing and some terrific cinematography choices including color grading and aspect ratio. Visually it was incredibly striking.

The amount of humor in the film kind of caught me off guard. They went some places that I wouldn't expect to see in most films. But it works in the context of the film and created a lot of genuine, and sometimes uncomfortable, laughs. In the multiverse anything is possible.

I honestly didn't realize that Jamie Lee Curtis was in the feature until I watched the end credits. Really took me by surprise. Loved all of the casting choices. Michelle Yeoh was incredible and really displayed her versatility as a performer. I still recall first seeing James Hong back on television in the late '60s and early '70s, so it was a real treat to see him as Evelyn's father. In another callback to the past I really enjoyed Ke Huy Quan's performance in this feature - and yes the voice was nearly immediately recognizable. :)

Certainly one of the more unique and enjoyable films I've had the pleasure to view recently. I will definitely be screening this again in the near future. Loved it!

- Walter.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Rented this and thought it was fine, and my response may be the inevitable backlash to all the buzz and hype. I did feel it was a bit long, as I couldn't finish it in one sitting. Ultimately, I wanted to like it more than I did, and I'm doubtful I will add the film to collection (which surprises me, to be honest).

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Here's something several years old directed by the Daniels. The thread I followed was because I recognized the woman who played the queen in the musical (Sunita Mani) as one of the supporting cast from Netflix's Glow. And in her bio it referred to her previous work with the Daniels for this music video. You can kind of see their signature absurdity on display here, along with dimensional traveling, at least in one dimension. :rolling-smiley:

P.S. That's also Director Daniel Kwan as the instigating dancer.

Last edited:

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
That's a little surprising since one of the bigger publicity stories surrounding the film was his return to acting after those childhood projects from 30 almost 40 years ago. I guess you and I aren't getting the same kinds of news feeds. 😅

Last edited:

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Only saw this last night, the blu has jut come out here in Sweden.
Loved every second of it, just as crazy and fantastic as I had hoped. Brilliant performances all around, and more humor that I had expected.
Really loved the story as it, after all, it was all about love, love between a wife and husband, love between a mother and a daughter, a father and daughter, love of all kinds.
And while I did know, and saw, Jamie Lee Curtis I totally missed Short Round, great as he was.

A shame about the Swedish bare bones blu, would have loved to see some background on how this was made.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
It would be great if Michelle Yeoh and Ke Huy Quan get Oscar noms. There’s a higher than 50% chance there, I think, based on various articles, chatter, and award wins like Ke Huy Quan’s at the Gotham Awards.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member

“As I get closer, he turns and points his finger at me, and he has that classic, famous, grumpy Harrison Ford look,” Quan continued. “I go, ‘Oh my gosh, he probably thinks I’m a fan and he’s gonna tell me to not come near him.’ But he looks and points at me and says, ‘Are you Short Round?’ Immediately, I was transported back to 1984, when I was a little kid, and I said, ‘Yes, Indy.’ And he said, ‘Come here,’ and gave me a big hug.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks