What's new

Everything Everywhere All at Once (2022) (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
My wife and I just watched another odd, and inventive unlike-anything-else-out-there movie: David Lowery's A Ghost Story. A very unusual, but compelling story of loss and connection. Also an A24 release.

I thought it was about the most boring film I've ever seen. Yikes, what a slow and pointless movie!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Some people just have to express their opinion whether you're asking for it or not.:)

As to the subject matter of this particular thread, I will watch my 4K disc one day this week. I plan on watching it early in the morning just in-case I have to take a break before finishing it.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Holy shit is EEAAO steamrolling now. I don’t think anything will stop it at the Oscars now.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So, this film seems to be the favorite for winning the Oscar for Best Picture this year.

Having seen all the nominated films (sans Women Talking and Avatar), I am surprised by the fact that this film is steamrolling through awards.

It was a good, fun film, don't get me wrong. I just thought it a little too bizarre and too much going on at once to be able to absorb it all.

Listen, this is just my stupid opinion. It's quite common for Best Picture winners to come under scrutiny as to how they beat out the competition. Truth be, other than Brendan Frazier's performance, I don't think I have been "Wowed" by any of the nominated films I have seen.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
EEAAO is the clear front runner now to win BP
So, this film seems to be the favorite for winning the Oscar for Best Picture this year.

Having seen all the nominated films (sans Women Talking and Avatar), I am surprised by the fact that this film is steamrolling through awards.

It was a good, fun film, don't get me wrong. I just thought it a little too bizarre and too much going on at once to be able to absorb it all.

Listen, this is just my stupid opinion. It's quite common for Best Picture winners to come under scrutiny as to how they beat out the competition. Truth be, other than Brendan Frazier's performance, I don't think I have been "Wowed" by any of the nominated films I have seen.
I agree with you, Ronald. Too much going on to absorb it all. I couldn’t make it to the end of the film for this reason- it lost me.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I watched it a second time and appreciated it more the second go around. There is definitely a lot going on that requires a second viewing, and on the second pass I better appreciated the messages around relationships and (mis)communication once I'd become acclimated to the visuals and the universe the Daniels created. I had earlier voiced my skepticism about it winning Best Picture, and I am still a bit skeptical despite all the indicators from the other awards it has garnered, BUT I would definitely not mind being proved wrong either. I can't exactly be objective when there's so much Asian representation going on with this movie.

EDIT: Just watched James Hong's acceptance speech and LOL'ed "I don't know what they're thinking when they wrote that script. Right? Did you understand all of it? I'm not sure. Well, go see it a second or third time and maybe you'll understand." :rolling-smiley:

Yesterday, Facebook reminded me of a post I made about the Artist winning Best Picture in 2012 and basically how I felt it was undeserving and was more interested in what the director would do after the win. In those moments when someone seems to get something they don't deserve, I think of Captain Miller's last words to Private Ryan, "Earn this." Some people will likely feel the same way if Everything Everywhere winds up winning in a couple weeks. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
EEAAO definitely has a lot going on, not only in the traditional sci-fi sense but also the more emotional family/relationships sense. For that, I give the Daniels kudos for even going there! I do feel the final 30-40 minutes could have been shortened. It just went on a little long (for me) after the message had been made.

If it wins Best Picture, whether we think it deserves it or not, there are enough Academy voters who think it does, and that's all that matters on the night.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Back around when Avengers: Endgame came out in 2019, I happened to see this Youtube channel's send-up of that film's big final battle. They are a martial arts team who creates videos and posts them online.

Their humour and fight choreography won me over so I subscribed.

Who would have thought that a few years later 2 members of this club (both are in the video above) would be standing on stage accepting a SAG Best Ensemble award? (They are the 2 guys to the right of Ke Huy Quan in the picture below.) I had recognized them when I first saw EEAAO last year, but little did I know they would end up on stage at the SAGs! It just goes to show - follow your passion and great things can happen!

1677539859179.png

EDIT: close-up:

1677540259516.png

EDIT 2: the 2 guys are stunt/fight choreographer brothers named Brian and Andy Le. Andy had a prominent role as the character Death Dealer in Shang-Chi.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
A lot of people thought that about 2001: A Space Odyssey, too. ;)

2001 didn't win Best Picture. This film probably will with the way things are going.

But more importantly, 2001 is regarded as one of the greatest and most influential films in Motion Picture history. This film certainly won't be.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
2001 didn't win Best Picture. This film probably will with the way things are going.

But more importantly, 2001 is regarded as one of the greatest and most influential films in Motion Picture history. This film certainly won't be.

2001: A Space Odyssey remains one of my top five films of all time (depending upon my mood) and while I thoroughly enjoyed EEAAO and do believe it will do quite well at the Academy Awards, I do agree that its long term impact will very likely not approach that of 2001.

One area where I do believe EEAAO might have influence is in how the concept of the multi-verse is approached. The MCU has certainly been dealing with this idea in its recent offerings and I would argue that Everything, Everywhere, all at Once does a better job of conceptualizing this story element, or perhaps making it feel more inherent to its narrative.

Long term impacts of entertainment can be difficult to predict. There are films and actors that seem like the future of cinema that go by the wayside and others that seemingly come from nowhere to have large impacts. As a sage Jedi philosopher once observed 'Always in motion is the future".

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks