Everyone Tolerates Raymond -- why is this so popular?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaveF, Jan 8, 2002.

1. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Can someone explain to me why "Everyone Loves Raymond" is so popular? TO my eyes, it's a standard sitcom about "men and woman are different", produced by the sitcom-o-matic machine. Not bad, but certainly not great. Yet, it's one of the highest rated comedies currently, and also very highly rated show in general (beating out West Wing and Judging Amy in the Nielson ratings !!!)

So what's the deal? Why is this show beloved? Do you have to be married to appreciate it (I'm single)?

2. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Though I think all of the people involved in ELR I can't watch more than once in awhile because I can't stand to watch couples constantly fight. If your partner is that annoying, cut your losses and run.
    Raymond is such a pussy!

3. Sean Cauley

Sean Cauley Stunt Coordinator

One of the things I like about the show is the interaction between the cast members. They've really developed a chemistry over the past five years, and can riff on each other pretty naturally. With some shows (for instance, an Inside Schwartz or a Yes, Dear), the characters are still actors reading lines. But I think Romano, Heaton, Roberts, Boyle and Garrett have really inhabited their characters. The chemistry argument also supports what I like most about Will & Grace: those cast members also have become a well-oiled machine.

Another thing I find interesting about Raymond is how old-fashioned the format is. Unlike most modern sitcoms, there are very few scene changes or jumps in time; most episodes consist of two or three long scenes, during which the five cast members come and go in varying combinations (it's set up quite like a play, or like an older sitcom, like All in the Family). There are occasional trips to restaurants, schools, playgrounds, etc., but most episodes feature only the main sets: Ray's & Debra's living room, kitchen and bedroom, and Frank's & Marie's kitchen or living room. I think the simplicity of setting and slower pace in editing probably makes the show attractive to many viewers put off by the differences between their favorite TVLand shows and the new product on the major networks (plus CBS has always attracted many viewers in the older demographic groups, and had a largely older audience when Raymond premiered in '96 or '97). That lends a lot toward its ratings success.

I do like it, although most weeks there are a lot of "oh, that's funny" moments and only one or two big laughs out of me. And I've never been married, and I'm only 26.

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Thanks Sean. I've not got past my general non-interest in the show to notice the technical aspects of its presentation.
    But I see you're form L'ville -- same place as a good friend that loves the show. So perhaps you have to live in Louisville to enjoy it (I haven't lived in that part of the world for many years) [​IMG]

5. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Entertaiment Weekly is constantly raving about this show, and I don't get what's so good about it either. I am so tired of the "men and women are different" stuff that it makes me want to vomit. Frankly, I don't understand why Ray and his wife are still together, all they do is argue and bicker, and they don't treat eachother well (not to mention how his mother treats her), in the stuff I've seen.

"The King of Queens" isn't much better.

/Mike

6. Michael St. Clair

For some reason I found Ray Romano hilarious when he was on 'Dr. Katz', but I don't find this show one bit funny.

7. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

I watch both and find King of Queens a tad better. All things aside, Leah Remini is a major hottie in my book.

Everybody Loves Raymond is just... how should I put it... icky at times. Cringing type of humour (although last night's episode of King of Queens is too close to home).

8. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I'm still trying to figure out why this show is popular. Peter Boyle and Doris Roberts deserve a funnier show; the jokes here are fairly weak. The other characters are totally uninteresting.

CBS Monday night had some pretty good sitcoms in the 1980s, but since Designing Women was cancelled there's really not been that much. I never got into Murphy Brown and have no strong feelings about it one way or the other.

9. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Oh man, those Ray Romano sessions with Dr. Katz were frickin' hilarious!!! Between him and that Dom guy, I practically had to catheterize myself to keep from peeing in my pants!

Never seen Everybody Loves Ray. Don't think I know anyone who ever has. Are you sure it's not an internet hoax?

10. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

11. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Being married, I can see a LOT of truth in some of the RAYMOND episodes. Some. Some of the episodes suck. But, on another front, why is it that dorky dweebs seem to get new girlfriends every week! George on SEINFELD, Ray's brother, etc. This device is worse than the eternal fights on RAYMOND.

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I don't understand the popularity of the this show either, but perhaps I'm not in their key demographic.

13. Alex S

Alex S Second Unit

ELR is a great show !
    It is funnier if you are married. If your single you haven't experienced it yet so you don't get some of the jokes.
    It also is a New York show about an Italian family so it helps if you are an Italian from NY, like me. [​IMG]

14. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I have to second what Sean said. The main cast has developed a really good chemistry together, and the writers are really able to write for the actors now. Personally, I still find Becker to be funnier, but I really like Raymond too.

15. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

Having watched maybe half a dozen episodes, I can understand its popularity, but not its critical raves, nor its performance at award ceremonies. Television viewers have made hits out of some awful dreck, but critics can usually see through them.
    I dunno. As someone said earlier, it's not a bad show, but unless I've missed something, it's certainly overrated. It has a fine cast who seem to be coasting through this pedestrian material.
    RE: King of Queens, Leah Remini is hot, BTW. [​IMG]

16. Nick_G

Nick_G Stunt Coordinator

quote:
    "RE: King of Queens, Leah Remini is hot, BTW."
    oh my god, yes she is!!!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] i haven't seen a pair of jeans look that good in a long time!!!!

17. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

"Yes Dear" is an underrated show, and it's nice to see that CBS is pushing it, in it's Monday night lineup. Their Christmas show with Tim Conway and Vickie Lawrence was great!

The acting is always "there" and not forced as with most of these "hip, here and Now" sitcoms, these days.

18. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

Nick_G

Then you GOTTA see my wife then!

Oh yeah, I also like 'Yes, Dear' much much more than that Raymond show.

19. Bergan Peters

Bergan Peters Stunt Coordinator

The way that YOU feel about ELR is the way I feel about teenage schlocky dong/tit fests like Buffy and Angel and Seventh heaven. I like ELR because it's humorous, and Patricia Heaton is hot. I often hope that she will become naked, yet she doesn't. It's still humorous, and Ray's pussyness is his appeal, he is a loveable loser. It's the same thing as tool time with Tim Allen's chauvanism.

20. Michael St. Clair