Every Movie Sucks! -or- Why I hate January and February...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Weinberg, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I understand that January and February (and sometimes straight through until Novemeber) are considered the studio's annual "dumping grounds", but SHEESH!!!
    Enough is enough! So far this week, I've been subjected to Dragonfly and Queen of the Damned. Normally, two wretched movies in one week is not cause for alarm (just two would usually be a good week), but this is like the 6th week in a row with the same story!
    The best movie of the year so far is The Count of Monte Cristo? And nothing else even comes CLOSE! (OK, I also liked Birthday Girl, but I'm a sucker for a redhead...) If you tried to come up with the worst movies of the past 2 months, you'd have a logjam the size of Kevin Costner's forehead.
    Dragonfly
    Queen of the Damned
    Rollerball
    Collateral Damage
    Super Troopers
    John Q
    Hart's War
    Crossroads
    Big Fat Liar
    Slackers
    Kung Pow!
    A Walk to Remember
    The Mothman Prophecies
    Snow Dogs
    Orange County
    Impostor
    That's what we've been offered so far this year. Surely there's ONE savvy studio exec who could get hit by an apple and go "Hey, if we'd release just one GOOD movie in February, we'd be the only game in town!"
    I digress. I actually love bad movies. Fawning reviews are much tougher to write! [​IMG]

2. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Scott, I'm just glad that I don't have your job and have to sit through some of these. [​IMG]
    ~Edwin

3. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

Besides Storytelling, Orange County and Big Fat Liar, and the limited release of Italian for Beginners, I completely share your anger, Scott. This is why the term January/February Dumping Ground was coined.
    Although I give a LOT of films a chance, the next one that has any interest with me is David Fincher's Panic Room.
    Just keep an eye on our 2002 Film Lists, that will show how poorly some of the current films are doing.
    Jason

4. Terrell

Terrell Producer

I'm looking forward to Hart's War. As for the rest, not interested.

5. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

When I reserved my spot on our 2002 list, I made a comment about this; last year was about the same - the first movie I saw in 2001 was Hannibal - let's say it was a disappointment. Of course, this is a great time to catch up on the previous year's movies (particularly the Oscar nominated ones...its coming up fast) [​IMG]

6. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Those of us trapped in "lesser" markets got to enjoy Brotherhood of the Wolf in the JAN/FEB season. [​IMG]
    Think about this too Scott. Rollerball dropped like a rock after 1 week, despite competing against this sort of dreck.
    Is it any wonder that half the top 10 box office is made of platform or long-running Oscar noms. JAN/FEB really belongs to them.
    The DVD releases have been slow for me also which has allowed me to cut my "to be watched" DVD list down to 14 from 30 as of today. I may actually get to a point where I have watched every disc I own at least once. [​IMG][​IMG]

7. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

Terrell,
    Uh-huh.
    John,
    The thing is, for people like Scott and myself, is that we've already seen all the Oscar nominated films throughout December and early January, and are now stuck with the Jan/Feb Dumping Ground and thusly his list of stinkers (and I only slightly disagree with two of them).
    This is just the new release stuff we're talking about. I just hope people live in places where there are theaters running independent films, foreign films, older films and can have alternate moviegoing to what's playing at the GooGooPlex. It's especially needed at this time of the year, too!
    As for me? I just see ALL of it. [​IMG]
    Jason

8. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Ahh, I'd overlooked Brotherhood of the Wolf. I believe that it's considered a 2002 release, as I don't think it had been released anywhere stateside until this year.
    I liked it quite a lot! A tad overlong, but a fun French B-movie! [​IMG]

9. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

Yes, BOTW is 2002 within USA/Canada criteria.
    Jason

10. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

At this point I total 3 real 2002 efforts and a few B-grades that might entertain some people (Orange County)

I only saw BOTW so far, but wouldn't mind catching Count of MC. The 3rd would be the Beauty and the Beast Imax.

Not too good for 2002. I was hopeful on John Q, sounds like I will be let down on that one.

11. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

12. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Here are the Rotten Tomatoes ratings for some of the films in question:
    Rollerball - 3%
    Collateral Damage - 16%
    John Q - 19%
    Crossroads -10%
    Slackers - 7%
    Kung Pow! - 3%
    A Walk to Remember - 26%
    Snow Dogs 25%
    Impostor - 17%
    In fairness others got close to a 50% rating with Hart's War garnering a 57% rating. As such, some might not be all that bad. Still, I'd rather wait to see them on DVD. [​IMG]
    ~Edwin

13. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Since I saw BHD in there, it hasn't been a waste there for me. Unfortunately I saw BOTW and BHD on the same day, and I have stared at the wasteland of the theater in sadness since that day. Hart's War was mediocre, but not horrible.
    March promises a lot, and hopefully it will deliver:
    Ice Age
    Resident Evil
    Blade II
    Death to Smoochy
    and
    Panic Room
    I doubt there are too many gems in there (except Fincherwork), but hopefully at least some fun. At least I can go to the theater. Anyone remember the HUGE business Hannibal did? There is NO competition here. Someone needs to jump on that[​IMG]
    Take care,
    Chuck

14. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

Now Orange County and Super Troopers weren't that bad. [​IMG]

15. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Ive used this time to see some movies I couldnt see earlier.

Unfortunately I had to go to discount theaters but I finally got to see Mulholland Drive(twice)and The Man Who Wasnt There. Also saw Black Hawk Down (twice) anmd Vanilla Sky (again).

I dont go to the theater very often anyways so the slow period doesnt bother me.

This time of year has usually been pretty busy for DVD purchases though, and this year seems really slow.

16. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I look at that list of films and I think of the incredible waste of money that has been spent on such crap. I'm constantly amazed how people can can see such films, because it's we the audience that determines what Hollywood puts out. If only we were more discerning in our choices, maybe Hollywood would wake up and realize that it doesn't pay to skimp on such things as say ...a script. Thank God I live in New York where I have access to independent films & foreign films to get me by these lean months (oh and thank God I have my DVDs too[​IMG])

17. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Dumping ground? What dumping ground? Oh you mean for people who don't live in a real city . . . [​IMG]
    Some of these were already mentioned; others are films that I suspect aren't even on some of your radar screens. All are well worth the time:
    Storytelling
    Brotherhood of the Wolf
    Italian for Beginners
    Scotland, PA
    Last Orders
    Shiri (U.S. release; it's a 2000 film abroad)
    As a practical matter, Monster's Ball should be included here as well, because it was limited to half a dozen theaters until a few weeks ago.

18. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Question for those who go see all the movies: why do you do this? Are you getting paid to write reviews or something (sorry if I seem clueless)?

My movie viewing solution: I've just discovered netflix.com. I'm starting to catch up on all the older films I've never seen.

19. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

20. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

Hmm, I guess I'm the only one who thought Mothman Prophecies was pretty decent...and even something I might consider purchasing if the price was right.

I never was much of a critic