1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Everwood

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by jenn_c, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Hi Gord!

Not to get too off-topic here but let me tell you my little
    brush with fame....

Two years ago, during a Warner chat, I brought up a very
    obscure title, Up The Academy that I was hoping would
    be released to DVD. George Feltenstein jokingly mocked me for
    my obscure taste in bad films and said it wasn't on their upcoming
    slate. Know what?! Within a year, that film was released to DVD.

I sort of like to think that the folks at Warner had pen and paper
    in hand, jotted down that title, and in the end I had something to
    do with getting that film out.

Well, all of you who attend these chats have the same power.
    This forum is scrutinized by studios like Warner and Fox who
    want to see what consumers would like released.

2. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Well then if the shoe was on the other foot, I would say that Warners discovered last year that fans really want to see Everwood on dvd and that Everwood fans are annoying. And don't worry about me scuttling the chat--I only read the transcript of last year's; I didn't attend last year, have no plans to attend this year, and eagerly await all the fascinating announcements they have to offer.

3. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

well, if Warner doesn't want to be annoyed with Everwood questions... why not just cave into fan pressure and, I dunno... release the damn DVD? I mean, do they really think there's a larger market for What I Like About You, which WB cancelled the same time they cancelled Everwood, but yet WILAY was the lowest rated series on the network and even most fans were okay to see it go?

4. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

lol, I love your sarcasm. I agree. We'll probably hear about a "super duper Friends bobble-head Complete Deluxe Edition Bonus Disc" set coming this year, while tons of shows they have been stuck at season 1 for three years will continue to be skimmed over.

5. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

At least it's Warners, who I'm more or less happy with (Who'da thunk we'd get all the way to Dallas season 7 so soon?) But let me tell you--if it was a Sony chat, I'd be there with bells on--mostly to get them to goose up their production speed and to add some !#$!# extras to their dvds...!

6. buffycritter97

Thomas Stewart

I have to agree with this poster, Warner Brothers is easily my favorite distributor for TV on DVD related content...

7. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

well, considering I like Friends and many of the WB shows, they've been good in that field, but when they are bad, they are the worst.

And I truly agree with Ethan's comment about
    "Question: "Do you have plans for ______ on dvd anytime soon?"

Answer: "We have no plans for ______ at this time.""

You'd think Warner would want to listen to the people who put money in their pockets and take notes about what the fans want to see... but they don't.

It's been nearly a year since the last chat and there has yet to be an announcement for Everwood: Season 2. That's what the fans want to buy, not the 35th repackaging of Friends.

8. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Yeah, Everwood fans. They're not repackaging Friends repeatedly because it's not making them money.

9. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Well then--with all the money they're making off zillions of Friends dvds, they can afford to release another season of Everwood. So there, too!

10. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

I know, every Friends fan OWNS the damn show already. You would've thought that Warner would've taken notes last chat with so many Everwood fans begging for season 2 last year. I mean, does Warner seriously think that there's a bigger demand for What I Like About You than Everwood season 2?

11. buffycritter97

Thomas Stewart

I think the thing about "What I Like About You" is that it has two semi-popular actresses, and they don't have an first season to base sales off yet. There taking a chance with it. But at the same time I really should take another change with "Everwood." I mean know that there are so many fans out there asking for the DVDs, honestly even if they replaced the more pricier music, all they would have to do I slap Marcia Cross on the cover-art and they would probably sell more units than they think...

12. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

true, but Everwood's cancellation was a shock and outrage to the fans. When WILAY was axed, nobody was surprised and most of the fans thought the show had already run its course (it ran the same length Everwood did). I actually did enjoy watching WILAY but there are so many other shows in Warner's catalog that I would release before that.

13. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Oh they don't know what we want. We tell them what we want, and they tell us we can't have it. So whatever. But my main problem with this whole Everwood thing is that I am a huge Everwood fan. And I did not participate in that chat last year; only read the transcript days later. And then I was suddenly in this shameful joke minority of Everwood fans, that we were supposedly all insane or something. I believe that part of the transcript was censored; I have no idea to this day what went on in that chat and I highly resent being made a fool over something I had nothing to do with. I think if any chatters are getting cocky or out of control, there should be a filter on the chat so that any unwanted comments do not get seen by the participants. In fact, most chats I've been to had some sort of filter. Was that chat unfilterered? I guess it was--otherwise how did all those negative Everwood fans get through?

If you ask me, it was probably either the same person over and over saying something annoying, or it was simply naivete' on the part of chatters who came in halfway through. At any rate, I feel like I'm getting the blame for it, because it's always like, "oh you EVERWOOD creeps ruined the chat last year." Yeah, well I really wasn't there so what do you want me to do about it.

The internet is a very random place in terms of intelligence and cooperation. In chat rooms and message boards, a huge percentage of the comments are simply being made either by children or inarticulate and ignorant adults who don't know when they're being annoying. They don't necessarily read the guidelines for chat, they don't necessarily read the questions and answers that have already been made. You can't expect them too. It's been many years since I took to task the utterings of imbeciles on the internet--they're here to stay, and if they annoy you, just ignore them.

14. Kevin Martinez

Kevin Martinez Second Unit

Now that the Everquest thing's been taken care of, I'm really interested in hearing someone kvetch about "posting long articles on the history of animation " that supposedly "also ruined" last year's chat even though there were only a couple of them and most didn'DIDN"T EXCEED 2 or 3 SENTENCES TOPS!!!!!!

15. ThomasDE

ThomasDE Auditioning

Thomas
    The whole thing with the Everwood people last year was started by a fan site that told the visitors to go to the chat and request future releases, and some people got out of hand (there were 2 instances that i remember that were really bad that got edited out of the transcript. many of the other people were just not aware that the question was asked since they joined as the chat progressed). I think it will be different this year, since last year was when The CW decided not to pick it up in favor of another season of the finished 7th Heaven, many fans were very angry and decided to unleash their fury. While the efforts to save the show were admirable and creative, the display by those few in the chat was quite embarrising. But since it has been a year, people have moved on.

While I do hope someone asks the inevitable question (i want to see S2-S4 on DVD as much as anyone else) i dont think last year will happen again.

16. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I am interested in starting to watch this show since I didn't see it when it was on the air but I won't start watching until I know they are releasing the rest.
    I'm sure there are others like myself that are waiting for that very same reason.

17. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

I didn't bother to wait. I just dvr'd all the episodes off of ABC Family a couple months ago. I know when I'm licked; they seemed to have zero interest in releasing the show on dvd. From what I gleaned from that transcript, Everwood isn't even worth discussion to them.

18. Qrusher14242

Qrusher14242 Stunt Coordinator

Daniel Dressel
    yeah, i already 'obtained' the rest of everwood. I bought the 1st season, but dont think we will ever see the rest on dvd. Sucks, couldnt imagine just having the 1st season with that HUGE cliffhanger at the end.

19. David Rosen

David Rosen Agent

It is also sad because I think that the second season premiere is the best episode of Everwood of all four seasons, and it suck that many people who got into the show on DVD, or who didn't catch the episode when it aired will not get to see it. Sadly, the continuation of Everwood DVDs is one of my "hope against all odds" situations: I still hope for it, even though the odds of it coming out aren't very likely...

20. buffycritter97

Thomas Stewart