What's new

Everwood (1 Viewer)

jenn_c

Auditioning
Real Name
jenn
WHEN WILL SEASONS 2-4 BE RELEASED ON DVD. THIS WILL BE THE ONLY WAY TO SEE THE SHOW NOW THAT IT IS CANCELLED

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Not any time soon, apparently, unless Warner Bros. soon changes that.

Poor sales of Season 1 has prevented further seasons from being released.

It's their own fault - releasing S1 too early before the audience was firmly established. It should have been released during seasons 3 or this last season.

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
The first hour and 15 minutes of the Warner chat were absolutely carpet bombed with questions about Everwood even after Ron asked politely to move on to other subjects.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
well, you'd think Warner would get the hint. Not an Everwood fan but you'd think Warner would listen to the fans. I mean, they need to go back and look at season 2... MARCIA CROSS WAS A REGULAR THAT SEASON!!! That's great, they could use her likeness and Housewives popularity to sell tons of DVD's for season 2.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
well, I don't see why Everwood wouldn't merit another sets release considering One Tree Hill does pretty well DVD sales for WB, and those two shows seem to have the same fanbase

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Obviously if Everwood had sold in numbers comparable to One Tree Hill the other seasons would have been released. Given that they weren't, it seems clear that the two shows don't have the same "fanbase" and the comparison is flawed.

Between people asking 15 questions instead of one, posting long articles on the history of animation and pounding the dead horse Everwood into the ground despite WB's having answered the question already, I thought this was one of our more embarassing studio chats.

Regards,

Joe

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
actually, Everwood regularly scored higher ratings numbers than One Tree Hill, Everwood's cancellation had more to do with their producers problem with The WB than with low ratings.

Personally, I didn't partake in the chat but reading the logs of it, I am glad I didn't as there was nothing announced that was anything special. They will never listen to the fans. I don't even like Everwood (on the other hand, I do like One Tree Hill, so don't get defensive over it, I do realize that Everwood was a higher rated series that had a much more devoted fanbase that loved that show) but I guess it's a good thing all the Everwood fans came out and protested because Warner apparently doesn't GET that people want season 2. I don't want season 2 myself, but I know a lot of people who do. I just thank god that there's only like two WB-owned shows I am even considering getting on DVD, and both of them seem to do fairly well (Supernatural and OTH... the older shows I won't even mess with since I know there's not a snowballs chance in hell I'll ever see the complete Alice on DVD, much less season 1). WB are more unreliable than Sony in terms of following up sets.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
All I can say is that it is such a shame.

It was always a dear favorite of mine, and the idea of not giving the show new life on DVD - for others to discover is just kicking us fans while we're already down.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

And this ratings stuff has what to do with DVD sales, which is what we were talking about before you changed the subject?

Ratings mean nothing. Some shows do huge ratings but nobody wants to own them. Other shows do modest ratings but sell very well on disc. (A network "flop" can draw several million viewers per week. If a fraction of them buy the DVDs the show is a monster hit on disc.)

DVD sales determine which releases continue and which don't. Not ratings. Not how other shows do in either sales or ratings. If the sales aren't there, neither are the discs.

And yes, WB does "get" that a tiny minority of people who didn't buy the shoiw in sufficient numbers to make it profitable still want the studio to release it. That's nice. So what? What the fans don't "get" is that Warner Bros. is not a charitable institution whose mission is to lose money releasing TV shows that nobody wants to buy. Using the chat to demonstrate that they are a tiny, rude and obnoxious minority hardly seems the way to get what they want. But despite the boorish and the obviously marginal sales, WB has actually said that they're still considering future releases - which show amazing forebearance as far I'm concerned. Of course this isn't good enough for some people and gets dismissed as "nothing" by folks who missed the fact that WB was quite forthright in saying, "We're not releasing that" about shows they definitely aren't releasing for one reason or another. "Under consideration" means "under consideration". It meant it at 8:00 Eastern and it still meant it at 9:30 or 10:00 when people were still trying to sneak in Everwood questions after Ron asked them to knock it off. Even the WB guys were making jokes about it by the end of the chat. I think that's embarassing.

Regards,

Joe

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
well, talking about Warner losing money, I think them releasing endless "best of Friends" sets is throwing money away more than anything else. Friends is not a show that someone might buy a "best of" disc to sample the show out, they see the show every night in reruns, and all 10 seasons are out on DVD and can be found for relatively cheap prices. If Warner stopped releasing so many damn useless "Best of Friends: Weddings" type sets (and I believe they released something like fourteen of them this year), they might have more money to be able to go back to Everwood, Without A Trace and other sets that I think are more in-demand.

I only am thankful that there isn't anything in Warner's vaults I consider "all time favorite", and luckily, my current favorite show, "Supernatural" is still current enough that the DVD should be able to turn profitable for Warner, plus it caters to the sci-fi/horror niche, which has turned over so successfully on DVD.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Obviously I didn't see any of what went on with regards to Everwood - I knew many would ask about it considering its finale aired Monday night.

Perhaps they were bitter and that carried over to their DVD questions about the show?

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

A lot of lurkers and alias' were there tonight who didn't get kicked off. It's a tough job moderating a chat, and I tip my hat of Ron & Parker for doing their best to keep things orderly, and although MY post about WB classic animation and the quest for controversial WWII material seemed long winded, it was a lot better than sniping the chat with requests for Everwood after repeatedly being told not to do so. The last person who did this directly got booted off the chat, and someone still got in a backhand word praising the show without actually asking for it.

Everyone else said "where's this", "where's this", "where's this?" - God that was repetetive. At least the Fleischer/Famous "Popeye" cartoons are finally coming to DVD. That was only officially announced today, and was mentioned at the chat before appearing on Yahoo! News.

TV on DVD may not be the cash cow studios had expected, with the costs of remastering, sourcing out materials, and paying ever-increasing music royalties and licensing fees, they have to be absolutely sure of a return on their investment.

BTW, it was a chat for Television and Animation, not Television Animation, so don't get uptight about those of us who asked for WB and MGM Theatrical cartoons.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I don't understand the bitterness directed towards "Everwood." It seems to me to be matter of "hurry up and wait." You never know what's going to happen 10 years up the road. I mean, 90210 has been sitting on the shelf, waiting for a major home video release for 16 years now. If interest in Everwood continues, maybe they'll find a way to release it someday. If not, hopefully it'll be prolific enough in syndication that we can just tape it.

Beau

Supporting Actor
I'm not surprised about what happened in the chat. I mean, the series finale was the day before. Really sucks the rest of the series probably won't get released. Seems weird, though, that it isn't getting more releases on DVD because people won't buy the first season, but when it got better ratings than OTH and VM, it got cancelled while the other two get renewed.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I was also frustrated with the chat. It was inconsiderate of those repeatedly asking for Everwood to take up the time in the chat asking the same thing over and over. Seemed like a coordinated effort to get to the Warner folks. A much better tactic would be a letter-writing campaign. I agree with Joe that it was embarrassing for the rest of us who had other questions and were interested in what else Warner had to say.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

What is "weird" about a show that didn't sell well on DVD not getting further DVD releases? Again, RATINGS HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH DVD SALES! APPLES! ORANGES! APPLES! ORANGES! APPLES! ORANGES! :)

I'm beginning to see why Everwood fans kept posting to the chat after Ron asked them not to. They weren't ignoring Ron, they just didn't understand what he was saying. :D

The cancellations in The WB/UPN merger have nothing to do with how the shows performed on The WB or what WB management thought of them and everything to do with how the UPN people think they're going to do on the new CW network and whether or not Les Moonves likes them.

And none of that has anything to do with the main criteria on which DVD release decisions are made - the comparative profitability of a given release - either.

Regards,

Joe

ThomasDE

Auditioning
Real Name
Thomas
I am an Everwood fan who was in on the chat last night, and even I got frustrated by the endless q's about it. Especially with the person who started attacking WHV for cancelling the show (although WHV would have nothing to do with how The WB chooses it's shows, and now that it is the CW WHV has even less to do with it).

I do hope though that WB decides to release further seasons.

JeffSchiller

Agent

The Everwood questions were embarassing, I agree - but all studio chats have people asking multiple questions, that's nothing new. I must have missed the "long articles on the history of animation" but the chat was for Television AND Animation, so people asking about animation releases seemed appropriate to me.

And I did think that were some exciting announcements, especially if you are a fan of theatrical animation. I was delighted by the chat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks