What's new

Everwood - "Unspoken Truths" - 23.02.04 (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Everwood goes into hiatus with a bang. What a phenominal episode, in every way. Andy's flaws were revealed. The chemistry between Andy and Nina was touched upon. Carl appears to be coming back for a nasty divorce. Amy finally made peace with Colin's death. The reality of Ephram and Madison's relationship came crashing down around them. The fabric store becomes another kooky Everwood locale. Amy takes some responsibility. Bright gets an "A" and his father's respect.

Two scenes in particular showed Everwood at it's best: The heart crushing scene between Ephram and Andy that tied the two seasons together. Nothing in their relationship has felt quite as real as that moment, with a father being there for his son when there's nothing he can really do.

The shot of Harold's old school medical bag weaving through the drunk and drugged party-goers almost made me cheer. That is the Harold we know, the one beneath all the cynical tired rants and the arrogance. The doctor and the father. It said alot about father and child here too, but not in the oh-too-obvious parallelism of previous weeks. This ranks up there as one of my favorite episodes.

Let's hope they can follow through.

John Watson

Screenwriter
"Andy's flaws revealed"? I thought that was a theme of every episode. I usually go Nanoo Nanoo whenever Everwood's Mork opens his mouth. :)

With Bright getting A's, I'm wondering if it's the same way he gets fake ID's

Yeah, funny about the fabric store. And Everwood is a small town, where a rave and drug-in for a thousand hippies, bikers, and hosers can take place in an abandoned motel, and the cops don't know? Wouldn't have happened in Barney Fife's day! The whole town is starting to look like TWIN PEAKS.

Good for Harold. He is my favorite character.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Something was off this episode. Can't quite put my finger on it, though.

Tommy is almost like the "Oliver" character on "The O.C." just more subdued. He drains the show of any goodness with his brooding and bad influence. Some little part of me of smiling when he ODs on GHP, sad but true.

Maybe Bright's living up to his name, contrary to what Will thought of him.

Harold and Rose have their hands full with Amy. It's going to take a long time to repair the rift and trust, even if Amy moves back home. But at least it appears that Amy might have turned that corner that will ground her more, and allow her to be more discerning in who she spends time with. She'll have to do some work with Lanie as well if she wants that relationship back in some form (though being Colin's sister, and thus constant reminder of Colin, maybe she needs to move on from Lanie as well).

More Ada please. (She was the psycho girlfriend of Christian's from Nip/Tuck).

Ephram's psychotic possessive turn to the dark side of blabbering idiot in love got old quick. Felt bad for Madison because she's in between the rock and the hard place.

Andy and Linda's relationship hits the rocks. Andy's a fixer-upper type of personality, and Linda's having a hard time coping with that as he bulldozes through to help Nina with her divorce. Can't really blame Linda for her feelings, though, but nothing indicates to me that Andy would "cheat" physically unless he broke up with his current relationship (serial monogamy), but Linda's imagination is running a little wild, which is what is used to fuel the apprehension.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I was very disappointed by this episode, with some sloppy writing to wrap up loose ends.

First, Linda's reaction to Andy helping legal fees for Nina was forced. Just two weeks ago she chastised Andy for being a bad friend and pushed him back towards Nina. Last week, she herself seeked Nina's help and advice. Making her jealous of Nina now just reeks of contrivance. They needed to put a rift into their relationship, and instead of growing it out of the characters, they wedged in some idiot jealousy out of nowhere.

Second, Amy's 'dream' good-bye to Colin was again, contrived. Saying good-bye to an imaginary Colin is not going to cure her of her pain. It's not that simple, and on a show where that's practcially its central precept, this was just a cop out.

The only thing I really liked about this episode was how Andy handled Ephram at the end. It was mature and intelligent.

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit
The writers seem to address complaints we post about here. :) I have in the past thought that Ephram was much too mature for his age in any realistic way. But these last two weeks he has been exposed as a...16 year old. I remember being so full of the person I was dating that nothing else existed at that age. I never ate dinner at home, even though it was served every night. My grades dropped and never fully recovered when I started dating...and I was totally unsure of myself in just about any way imaginable. That's Ephram. They have written him very well and in a very identifiable way. As we have stated before, there is a very good actor at work there.

I was hoping Tommy was dead. Except that it would sorta back the writers into a corner regarding Amy's mental health. Her killing her boyfriends and all that. :) I am sure he's not dead.

I also now think we are watching a fantasy played in a realistic manner. The things that happen in this little tiny town are somewhat Lynchian at times. What's the market for fake ID's in Everwood, CO? I would think you'd have to go to Denver for that. And the motel scene. What is the population of Everwood anyway? Has it ever been told?

I enjoyed this episode. I was so surprised that it was Harold and not Andy that Amy called. But as her mother said, she really wanted Amy to know they are there for her no matter what. And I liked that we were not banged over the head with the machinations of Amy's brain under the influence of alcohol and GHB when she decdied to call her father. I enjoy those moments in fiction when something is surprising but then after the moment of realization it seems natural for the character to behave that way.

Andy is over-correcting for past sins against Nina and Linda is jealous. Is that what we are supposed to think, that she is jealous? I dunno. She does seem to find a lot of reasons to leave in the middle of a decent evening with Andy. Perhaps the defense mechanism is more the point than the jealousy. Jealousy doesn't ring true to character for Linda. She would just find her Chi or something and get over it. :)

So, lots of Nina last night. You people happy now? :)

Oh and Ephram was obviously out of line at the club, but Maddies bandmate and ex-boyfriend needs to be told BY HER to chill the fock out. She just stood there. Twice.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Gregory Smith did a tremendous job of acting in his final scene with Andy. He was so vulnerable and pained that it hurt to watch Ephram go through this time of his life where he is so wrapped up by his love/lust for Madison that it's totally driven him mad and he's so unsure of himself.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
She's not very mature herself sometimes, but considering that they were on the very of what may have been their big break I think Jay's anger was justified. Ephram was an ass; an immature sixteen year old. Like Patrick said, she was between a rock and a hard place. She had to choose between absolutely crushing Ephram's spirit or lose the big opportunity. I didn't like that momment, but I believed it, one of the few moments in the ongoing Ephram/Madison relationship plot that felt believeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks