What's new

Everwood 5/10/04 - Season Finale (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Madison's pregnancy is a ticking timebomb that will explode next season. Amy and Ephram might be in lovey-dovey land right now, but come next fall, Ephram is going to be sorely tested should Madison's condition become discovered (or worse yet, the writers don't bring Madison back until after the baby is born, and Amy and Ephram are really in love and then have this to deal with). I think Andy's wrong in what he offered Madison. But Madison is going to take the "hush" money from Andy because it's the easy route for now.

How frikkin' rich is Andy? He seems to have unlimited resources.

How sad for Andy to realize that it took the senseless tragedy of Julia's death to wake him up, slow down, and see all that is around him.

Obviously Harold's forte is not in new business analysis. Perhaps Bright works there in the interim if Harold can't divest himself from the place. I do wonder how they'll determine what to charge patients since Andy was giving away his services and medicine.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
That final shot with Andy alone in the restaurant as his family drives away was both heartbreaking and moving. It was a mirror of the shot from Season 1's finale, but the circumstances were entirely different. While Season 1 ended on a sweeps-level cliffhanger, Season 2 ended on a quiet, contemplative note.

One of the best season finales I've seen in a long time.

I do agree that Andy's ultimatim to Madison was cruel. He failed to exert the proper authority when it was timely, and now he pushes his share of the burden onto an already overwhelmed Madison. Quite a daring subplot, if they don't cop out with a miscarriage or Madison dying in a car crash.

Harold's Bagel storyline was suitably chuckle-worthy without being at the expense of his character. They're getting better at that. His truce with Andy was well-earned by the series, instead of abandoned like too many others would have.

Whenever they bring Delia and Bright into the same room, we're garrenteed a cute moment. The timing and delivery of the exchange in which she asks his out to the movies was one of the best.

Rose buying a bagel was a nice reminder why they work so well as a couple.

Andy continues to be thrown into impossible situations. And his solutions continue to frustrate.

The highlight of the episode, though, was Ephram's smile when he finally realized that Amy was coming to New York with him. That's what we've been waiting for all season. Everwood finally rediscovered where its heart lay.

This episode was something special. One of the best.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'd imagine it will be similiar to Harold's rates, with the occasional pro-bono case for those of Andy's patients that absolutely couldn't afford to pay.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Take away the Madison subplot, and I would have had a better reaction to the season finale. But it's sort of typical soapy writing: finally bring the 2 lovebirds destined to be together (after 2 seasons of keeping them apart with so many diversions) and have a pregnancy waiting to ruin everything. Tick Tock Tick Tock...

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
The pregnancy storyline is tired and played. I can only imagine that the WB execs wanted to keep Madison around. She's obviously popular enough since she's stuck on the WB promos.

Harold's startup of a Bagel business was the fastest in history of business. Even if it was a donut shop, the repurposing, redocorating, and inspections would have taken several months. This opened in what seemed like a day. Not to mention that it would have been expensive, but only cost Harold a quarter of his savings!?! Who cares how rich Andy is, he's probalby invested wisely, how rich is Harold?

And speaking of Harold, would he really have assisted Amy in spending 10 days in New York with a boy? I know he and Amy have a new understanding, but I thought the understanding was that she would listen to him more, not that she can still walk all over her parents.

So, I think this was more akin to a Sophomore slump than a strong second finish.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Say what you will about Ephram and Amy, I do think Gregory Smith and Emily VanCamp have amazing on-screen chemistry.

Personally, I'm getting bored with all the teen pregnancy storylines this season. The O.C had it, One Tree Hill had it and now Everwood as well. Are TV writers suffering from writer's block?

I'm a little disappointed in Everwood, because I've come to expect more from this show (they usually deliver). They handled the teen sex issue so well (as opposed to Gilmore Girls where Rory may yet beat Tori Spelling for the record in TV virginity :) ), as well as many other taboo subjects to fall back on a tired cliche.

All in all, this was another good season for this great show. Unlike Smallville, where the show lacks any cohesion or sense of direction, Everwood is well written and beautifully acted. The characters are well rounded and flawed, despite their best intentions, and that's what makes it so good to watch. Already looking forward to next season!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I liked them for their flash in Jersey Girl.

And yes, the pregnancy device is overplayed, but it's the way Everwood handles it that could prove interesting. My feelings are that the drama will be less about the pregnancy and more about the fallout of Andy's cover-up.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it means more Madison. She was always an awkward fit on the show.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Overall, this season was a mixed bag that lost much of the momentum from the excellent first season.

They spent too long on storylines that weren't worthy. Amy's rebellion was well played to begin with, but then went on long beyond being interesting. Worst of all, it ruined Edna's character. She was a tough woman who didn't take crap from people, and it had been established that while she had warm fuzzies for Amy, she still didn't take crap from her and certainly wouldn't allow her to walk all over her parents. The Amy storyline turned her into a push over who had no idea how a teenager likes to play adults against eachother. Edna was stronger, and wiser than that. Now, Edna's just around taking up space.

The Linda Abbott storyline was such a cliché that it was made fun of 10 years ago in "Reality Bites" when Janeanne Garofolo said, "I'm like the new AIDS character on some crappy show like 'Melrose Place' that teaches everyone it's okay to like me." The irony that Linda used to be on 'Melrose Place' is not lost on me.

Harold was also poorly used for most of the season. In the first season, his buffon nature extended from his grumpiness. It fit that he would be that way. Now, he's alternately a buffoon or a wise father and the two just don't click.

Nina was wasted. A great start to a great storyline with her husband was forgotten about, and then wrapped up too quickly when it needed at least one more episode to breathe.

Finally, this garbage with Madison could be the death knell for this show for me. Yes, the magic should lie in the way they handle it--but it's pretty apparent that it's just going to be a way to drive a wedge between Andy and Ephram again (signalled by the dream Andy was having), and it just reeks of artificialiality.

So far, I'm not hopeful for next season.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks