Everwood 4/12/04

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Patrick Sun, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I don't know how the writers do it, but I caught myself tearing up at Bright's storyline, where he drives all the way to Colorado A&M in an attempt to change the minds of the admissions department, even though Harold doesn't do much in supporting his plan of action. And then after Bright gets more bad news, just seeing Harold waiting there for Bright, being there for him, it just struck me in a strange way that brought tears to my eyes.

And then to follow it up with Ephram finally saying goodbye to Madison on his terms just opened up the floodgates for me. You could how much growing up Ephram did in finding a way to take the good from his relationship with Madison, but knowing that breaking up was the right thing to do at this time and place.

It's rare that I see films nowadays that get to me like this show does on a regular basis.

Delia also finds a way to let Madison go because letting her go means Ephram won't be as sad and he takes precedent over her. It was a very mature realizaton on part of a 10 year old.

Amy has problems with going cold turkey on the Zoloft, begs Linda to keep her on for another month, and Linda agrees. Then while picking up her prescription, she bumps into Colin's mom, and seeing that she's doing fine, though with another brand of anti-depressant, Amy leaves the pharmacy and gathers the strength to throw away her pills, and deciding to tackle what life has in store for her.

Harold still won't forgive Andy for not telling him that Amy got birth control pills from Andy.

2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

John E. Pogue isn't responsible for the best episodes of Everwood. With the exception of "Unhappy Holidays" he didn't script any of the standouts, either. What ties his episodes together is a wonderful, sturdy grasp of the characters that doesn't waver even through a season wavering dangerously close to soap opera. Tonight his character writing culminated in what is in my opinion one of the show's top episodes. Not only did it close the door on my least favorite storyline (Madiphram), it did so in a thoroughly more plausible way than it was ushered in. When Andy took a stand at the dinner table, I wanted to cheer. I was disgusted when Andy gave in to Ephram and stood aside (ironically, another Pogue moment), and after the long roller coaster seeing him put his foot down finally was spectacular.
    The two "other sibling"s are extremely likeable characters that seldom get enough to do. Tonight gave each a storyline that expanded their characters and used them as catalysts for the "A" plot. Bright was never the golden child, and his tenacity is a result. I've never liked the way Harold treated him, but as a result he's a self-made man who will survive no matter what path he walks down. I'll cover my feelings about the ending more in a moment, but Harold finally being there for Bright and acknowledging one of his REAL accomplishments for once was a beautiful moment. The storyline was important not because it was a surprise but because it was expected, which says alot about the character in question. The scene between Madison and Delia was completely shocking to me, however. They've given Delia storylines before, but always after school special stuff. They've been effective but not particularly deep. I figured they'd follow the parallelism from Amy breaking it off with Tommy to having it be Ephram to fire her. Delia was the last one I expected, but really the only one that could do it effectively. Last season Delia was cutesy naive. Thus far this season she was childishly bitchy. While both are no doubt realistic aspects of an eleven year old, neither particularly define her as a person. The quiet firm decision to let Madison go took every bit as much courage as Bright facing the Admissions officer, but with the kind of sacrifice only family can make. Vivien Cardione has become an actress to watch. Better yet, it didn't stand out as a "very special episode" moment because it is the relationship Ephram and Delia have always shared. With a dead mother and an often clueless father, they have the unity naturally that most siblings and only muster at the best and worst of times.
    Another moment I liked was the pharmacy. The writing team have made an effort the last two episodes to really bring out a most positive essence in Amy that we haven't seen since early last season. The encounter with Mrs. Hart; realizing what an empty, truly beaten person looked like, and how much of a person she still was. The way she discarded the pills was just right; not played up for the dramatics, but just a simple, easy gesture come about from a sudden change in world view.
    Ephram was a sixteen-year-old boy. And considering how precocious the teen stars usually are on this show, that's not a bad thing.
    The holes in Andy as a human being have been truly crystallized the last few episodes. First with Linda and now with Harold, it's not that he's a prick he truly doesn't get their viewpoint. Without extensive experience in friendship, he just doesn't get that friends bend the rules, and he should have gone to Harold rules be damned. To him, there were clear ethical boundaries as a doctor and he followed them. The boundaries of friendship are much murkier.
    I don't get why they need a babysitter this season when they didn't last season. Whenever the babysitter's around, Andy tends to be too. Without a demanding social life and a work schedule substantially easier to bear compared to surgery, (and the plot device of creating a love interest for Ephram) there seems to be no point. Doubtfire from Hell was amusing though.
    The best part, though, by far was the ending. Here the parallel structure finally paid off. Harold and Andy each shared the same anecdote to their sons, but the spin was completely different. Andy notes a puzzling fight out of fear. Harold celebrates a admirable fight out of courage.

It's up there with "Extra Ordinary" for my favorite episode of the season.

Looks like the shit's really going to hit the fan next week with Linda's HIV.

3. Adam Lenhardt

Hey, Patrick. Took me so long to type up my thoughts to the episode that I ended up with another thread! Could you merge it with this one? Thanks! Nice to see I was the only one affected by this episode, fascinated to see that the things that hit us the most were completely different ('Cept for the moment with Harold, definitely the highlight of the night.)

(admin note - merged)

4. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    I was also very glad that they allowed Delia and Bright to step up, and it shows that they are more than supporting characters. I did tear up once (when Delia fired Madison) but cheered out loud when Bright told Ephram to shut up! Obviously, I wasn't the only one thinking that.

I'm glad that the baggage of Colin is gone and they can get on telling some new stories. It's taken far too long to mop up that storyline.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I LOL as well when Bright told Ephram to get over his mopey-dopey love pangs. But, you have to admit that Greg Smith has Ephram's manic ramblings down to an art.

6. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch

Yes, I absolutely do. But, my frstration wasn't with Smith's performance so much as it was with this storyline which overstayed its welcome by about four weeks.

I'm also really glad they dropped the parallel storylines.

7. Adam Lenhardt

Fingers crossed. Next week looks promising, but you never know.

8. Evan M

Evan M Second Unit

I liked how both fathers came to teh right decision and handled their individual situation very well, without having to consult/rant/etc. with one another, as is their custom. It is interesting to me that both characters are maturing in their parenthood yet being totally immature in their friendship.

I loved the way Amy threw her pills away (although no the proper way to dispose of a full bottle of prescription meds.. :p).. I wanted to stand up and cheer. LOL

I was really moved by the Bright storyline... his determination in the face of failure is certainly admirable, and the wake up call to Ephram to stand up and realize his friend has problems too was a nice touch.

I teared up when Ephram came to ask Madison to come back for Delia's sake, despite knowing how difficult it would be... and doubly so when Delia "fired" Madison for Ephram's sake. It was a great testament to how deeply they care for one another. *sniff*

Overall an Extremely good episode.. one of my favorites, I think. [​IMG]