What's new

Everwood 10/13/03 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Episode 2.5

I was a little disappointed that my local WB station decided to just mute Delia's first words of rebellion on tonight's episode, but, hey, no big deal. Now, Efram's reactionary laugh was spot on, though. Hee hee hee.

More pain in the Abbott household as Harold struggles with prescribing Amy anti-depressants because he truly wants Amy to dig out of this hole by the virtue of family strength and support (while prescribing Lanie the anti-depressants after just consulting with her mother).

Delia did set her foot down on Andy seeing Linda romantically, and Linda pretty much squashed Andy's libido like a grape for now. Efram's actually listening to the babysitter, and some fun seems to be headed his way soon...

Tony_P

Stunt Coordinator
Our WB station (LA) also removed Delia's "colorful metaphor." When I saw that, I wondered why the producers even chose to have that line in the script. But then I thought....ah, DVD. Interesting. We've seen movie directors produce content soley for the DVD versions of their films (or at least have the DVD in mind when cutting scenes), but are TV producers now doing the same...

Pretty good episode. I now have my wife hooked on the show, too! :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I thought Emily Van Camp did a good job capturing Amy's depression and the feelings of drowning in her pain. Harold also had some really telling moments with his wife regarding this issue that has many shades of grey to it.

Delia's choice of hero was very touching.

RobertW

Supporting Actor
my station muted it too. which leads me to ask, was it solely at the local level, or did the network itself perhaps have second thoughts, and decided to bleep the word itself?

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Much better episode than last week, and the first one this year to really capture Amy's pain sympathetically. Excellent episode for her and a good showcase of her talent.

I too got the dreaded mute for Delia's colorful metaphor--which is just as stupid as whenever they do it. Was there one person out there that ddidn't know what she said? It's as inane as when they over dub "The Breakfast Club" with such insipid replacements when it's very obvious what they are truly saying. They're protecting no one.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
We get a WB cable-only station in our area, and it was muted, so maybe it was done at the network level.

So did Amy's dream progress at the end of the episode? Instead of just drowning, she saw Colin?

I also noticed that Amy looks like a younger version of Jane on Tarzan. Same shape of face and eyes.

//Ken

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
L.A., too, got a muted explitive from Delia. I was some what surprised that her dad's reaction was all about the word and not about her incredible rudeness. Also, did I miss something? I'm not sure why Delia took such a particular dislike to the other Dr.Abbott. Was this explained in some way that I missed? I got that she saw her as a posible love interest for her dad and hence a threat, but even after he explained to her that he was not currently looking for love and that this woman was just a friend and colleague, Delia made him promise that he would never chose this woman to date in the future. I am not sure I understand why.

Regarding Amy and her dream: I took it to mean that she was suicidal -- ready to give in and join Colin. I hope they give her those pills soon.

Deborah

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The Albany affiliate got muted as well. Greg Berlanti told (I think) Entertainment Weekly that we would indeed here the word, so I'm guessing that if it was done at the network level it wasn't done to the original master. But as Chad said: We all know what she said anyway.
Also, did I miss something? I'm not sure why Delia took such a particular dislike to the other Dr.Abbott. Was this explained in some way that I missed?
I have a feeling this is going to be touched upon later in the season. Delia gave Linda Abbott a dirty look before she was introduced by her father. And the end speech (paraphrasing): It's okay if you do date eventually, but promise me it won't be with her. This may just be childish rationale, but I have a feeling there's something else there.

And yeah, I also agree that this was the first episode which really tackled Amy's depression. The intercutting between her depression and the dream of her drowning was particularly effective. It was also interesting the way they tackled the controversy over medicating grief; once again handled without the heavy-handedness of other shows.

Predictable as it was, I still liked the end moment when Delia chose Julia as her hero.

One thing I didn't get was why Brittany went to Dr. Brown after not wanting Delia to come to her house because her dad would have to drive her. I understand that her mom was the one who disliked Dr. Brown, but still... children are impressionable. I guess I'll excuse it as creative license, since it made the episode really work, having all the storylines intermingled.

I'm still not sure I like Linda being right all the time. Reminds me of Andy early last season, without the shitty parenting to balance it out. I do like Madison, and the way she and Ephram go at it is rather fresh and likable.

Now that they have all the chess pieces in place, it looks like they're going to jump start the Ephram/Amy arc again. As long as they don't push it too far, it would be interesting to see Amy the one pining over Ephram instead of vice-versa. (Though previews have a way of lying.)

Overall, one of my favorite shows pulls of the "youngest child says a naughty word" episode in a less predictable way than most. I'm still hooked, and why they might not have the clarity of the knockout first season, they have managed to wholly avoid the sophomore slump that so many shows experience quality-wise.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Madison as eye candy is okay by me. Remembering her as JD's candy striper object of desire on "Scrubs" seals the deal.

I like the way Madison gets Efram's goat on just about everything. It's good for him to have someone to focus his hate on, after a year of pining for Amy.

I was hoping Delia would have dropped the f-bomb, but the 9 p.m. timeslot only allows for so much... :)

RobertW

Supporting Actor
am i missing something? from the previews, it appeared that they are setting up a plot where ephram and madison hook up just when amy is looking to pursue things with him. so yeah, we may see amy pining for him while he's unavailable.

which treads the dangerous line of mimicking the dawson/pacey/joey triangle where the one each wants is always conveniently involved with another. also echoes the "mike and the babysitter" season of growing pains.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks