ever watch a film with the director in the room?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Christ Reynolds, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i've seen dawn of the dead dozens of times, but i got to enjoy it tonight with george romero in the same room.

it was in a small theater at wellesley college, where his daughter attends. he came for a screening of the film, and to give a short talk to a film studies class. he was a nice guy, pretty funny, and he answered a bunch of questions from the audience, which was probably less than 50 people. and i got my dawn of the dead 4 disc set signed.

i'm not one to go nuts over famous people, but it was nice to meet him, and tell him in person that i love his film.

anyone else watch a film with the director there?

CJ

2. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

No, sadly not, but I am rather jealous right now. The closest I came to that was attending a Kevin Smith Q&A. We talked for a good ten minutes, it was a blast.

Just curious, did anyone ask what Romero thought of the 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead?

3. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

I saw Leaving Las Vegas with Mike Figgis in the crowd. He did a Q&A after the show which unfortunately wasn't very interesting.

Not a director, but I attended a screening of Robocop with co-writer Michael Miner in the crowd. He was pretty entertaining after the show, although Harry Knowles kept pestering him about Starship Troopers, which he wasn't involved with [​IMG]

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I saw "Donnie Darko" with director Richard Kelly in attendance about 3 years ago, and he had a pretty good Q&A session afterwards.

5. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    No director, but I did watch Apollo 13 with Jim and Marilyn Lovell in the auditorium, followed by a Q&A with Jim.

6. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    I saw "While You Were Sleeping" with Jon Turtletaub in the theater at Disney. He did a Q&A, and is a very nice guy.

7. MichaelBA

MichaelBA Supporting Actor

Sounds like something pretty neat. Did they provide any special insights, Chuck? Thanks!

8. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    It's been 11 years, but I remember Jim saying it was a lot like what the movie shows EXCEPT that he didn't remember the astronauts using the same colorful language they did in the movie [​IMG] Meeting him (even if briefly), I almost believe that. He also stated he had seen the movie about 7 times (it was the end of the summer it was released - 1995), including a viewing with the President.

It was a neat experience, as the audience knew they were watching it with he and his wife, and reacted accordingly.

9. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Um... I saw Camp with the director and four or five of the stars...

Leo

10. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Well, if you go to a film festival odds are pretty good you will. They won't be famous directors, but directors just the same.

I got to see a movie called Cross Bronx last year, which was quite good. The director and his producer were in attendance and I actually felt bad for them because the image and sound were totally out of whack. The irony was they had won technical awards at other festivals, but it was a testament to their film that no one left despite the poor presentation. I felt less embarrassed for my city when the owner of the venue immediately apologized and accepted the blame for it though.

11. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I saw Hard Boiled with John Woo and Terence Chang in attendance. They did a Q&A afterwards, and I got Woo's autograph.

12. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    One of the first years we went out to LA as a group Fox put on a great greet and meet with both Brian Singer and Stan Lee. We didn't watch X Men with them but they had a huge panel discussion for the press and our group.

After the panel discussion they set up another room for a one on one with Brian Singer and Stan Lee. Brian Singer had gotten up to leave before we got in there but when they told him that we weren't from the press and were instead just fans of the movie he came back and signed our DVDs and talked to our group. Stan Lee was a riot. Both were class acts for sure.

13. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Several times at film festivals, but it's not terribly exciting. It's usually followed by an unenlightening Q&A, and the main effect is to make me feel a little guilty later on if I give the film a bad review, because now it's all personalized.

14. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    yes, and he didn't have much to say about it, only that he wasn't sure why the zombies could run so fast now.

someone asked him what he thought about the zombie spoof movies, and he quickly said "shaun's the only one...it rocks, man!" or something like that. with a thumbs up and a big smile. so he loves shaun of the dead.

my question was, "with all the bad horror movies out currently, do you think dawn of the dead would be as popular as it is if released today?" and he said probably not, because so many movies don't rely on any kind of story, they go for cheap thrills, and he suspects dawn of the dead wouldn't have much of an audience.

CJ

15. Sylvia*ST

Sylvia*ST Stunt Coordinator

I went to the first showing of "One From the Heart" at the now gone Plitt Theatres in Century City and Francis Ford Copola was sitting right behind me, making notes and obviously paying very close attention to every nuance of audience reaction. Fortunately, the audience was very appreciative.

16. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

I was at the Fox event Parker talked about.

I've seen 3 that I recall:

Pitch Black with David Twohy and Vin Diesel (who also did The Iron Giant voice for the crowd and signed autographs)

The Red Violin with director Francois Girard

Last Night with director/actor Don McKellar

The Red Violin Q&A was pretty good as Girard talked quite a bit about how they filmed the violin playing scenes and about working with the young virtuoso who plays the child with the weak heart in the film.

17. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

I saw ARENA in 3-D with Richard Fleisher in the room, and GOG in 3-D with Herbert Strock in attendance.

18. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

I operated a projector for a film festival some years back, and screened West Side Story with Robert Wise and George Chakiris in the audience. Not as impressive, I also screened The Hunted (1995 Christopher Lambert film) with the writer/director in the audience.

At one time I was told that during a screening of True Lies James Cameron wanted to be in the projection booth, but he had to cancel at the last moment. Scared the hell out of me.

19. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer

Yes, 176 times [​IMG]

20. Nathan V

Nathan V Supporting Actor

I had the extreme pleasure of seeing Raging Bull with Schoonmaker. She gave us a terrific presentation of her and Scorsese's craft, showing us clips of their films and films by others, highlighting moments that she liked, or that were challenging to accomplish, etc. Scorsese being my favorite filmmaker, it was a truly memorable occasion.

I also saw Sunset Boulevard with Q&A with the director of American Werewolf in London. To this day I do not know why they brought him in for that.

Regards,
    Nathan