Ever trashed a BIOS?

Rob Gillespie

Producer
Reaction score
I have. Last weekend I had to flash upgrade the BIOS on a Soyo Socket 7 mobo that I got off Ebay. Having flashed the one on my Asus CUBX several times in the past I was confident it would work.
Oh no.
I followed the installation instructions to the letter, but the installation app froze half way through the flash, leaving the motherboard as a useless pile of junk. Couldn't even get past POST.
But I saw someone over on AnandTech mention a small company called BadFlash. Sure enough, on http://www.badflash.com
"One does not simply walk into Mordor."
Rob's Place
[Edited last by Rob Gillespie on August 16, 2001 at 04:09 PM]

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Ever trashed a BIOS?
Ahh yes, and what a pain in the ass it is indeed. Sorry to hear of your trouble. I've fried a BIOS or two back in the day, and once when attempting to flash a BIOS. Messing around with the BIOS is the one thing that I don't like doing with computers...

SteveBjr

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Yeah the bios chip on your motherboard just pops right out incase ya ever screw one up. I've never fried one *knock on wood* but my bro-in-law has :p He didn't actually fry it his power went out while he was flashing. Never flash a bios during a storm or whenever there is a chance of power-outtage

------------------
Steve,
DVD Collection

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Reaction score
If you live in california, don't flash your bios unless it is going to be a nice cool day.

-Dean-

brentl

Cinematographer
Reaction score
I've been lucky so far

The Soyo AWDflash program is pretty primative. I just flashed my MSI K7T- pro 2a and it was REALLY simple.
Which MOBO did you get Rob?? The 5-eh(m) is a great mobo, but you can only go up too 500Mhz I think.
All the jumpers to set...argh!! What bullshite!
Brent L

Rob Gillespie

Producer
Reaction score
It's the SY-5EMA+ V1.0. I won it on Ebay for £65 which included an AMD K63-450. Those chips still go for a lot of money so it was a bit of a bargain.
It's actually a really nice motherboard and will great for a second system.

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stew1911