Ever surprised by movies some of your family members like?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by StephenA, Oct 28, 2003.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I am. My grandmother loves Coming to America and Under Siege, and she's 85. I never thought she'd like these movies because of the swearing in Coming to America and the violence in Under Siege, but she's seen both quite a few times.

2. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

My brother ususally has very good taste but for some reason he loves Cocktail. I always bring it up when talking about films with him. He himself finds it amusing that he likes it.

3. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

I was surprised that my sister liked "Silence Of The Lambs" and "Se7en". I never thought of her having much of a stomach for such things, and normally that's true...

Jason

4. Michael Boyd

Michael Boyd Second Unit

My mother is crazy for The Matrix. She hadn't even seen it until last July, but she had talked about it for 3 years. I'm not a fan of the movie so I didnt encourage this.

5. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

The only movies I've ever heard my father talk highly of are Vincent Price movies (His favorites are House of Wax and The Comedy Of Terrors). Growing up he always commented that "new" movies (That I'd rent on VHS...back in the day) are all just , and I quote, "Bang-Bang-Shoot-Em-Ups" with no artistic value.

When I was older I found-out he had a bit-part in Fear No Evil. Since then I've never taken his movie critisms seriously.

My mom is a big Harry Potter fan and my sister owns a copy of every Val Kilmer movie.

I understand Val Kilmer might be attractive but I couldn't fathom spending money on every film that starred someone with the acting ability of a baked potato. A good looking potato maybe, but still a potato.

6. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

How about other people being surprised by what I like?

My flatmate recently watched Spinal Tap, and ten minutes into it turned to me and asked "Why do you have this?" It was a fair question - I am more of a classical fan than heavy metal.

7. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

My Great-Grandparents love National Lampoon's Family Vacation.[​IMG]

8. Brian Kissinger

Brian Kissinger Screenwriter

9. Shaun

Shaun Second Unit

When we were little, my grandmother and step-grandfather used to take my brother and I to the movies. The bad thing was that they always picked the movie. Even though we were little kids at the time, they still picked the movie. One time, we get over to there house and they told us that they wanted to see some crime movie, I think it was "Disorganized Crime" or something. Well, we finally had enough and asked if we could see something else and we suggested Total Recall. They had never heard of it and my step-grandfather decided that he didn't want to go (he was very stubborn and always had to have his way). My grandmother had always been the type that only liked comedies and romantic comedies. We then deceptively told our grandmother that the movie was a romantic-comedy and that it would be something that she would love. So we went and saw Total Recall. Suprisingly, after the movie, she told us that it was one of the most interesting movies she'd ever seen. Go figure.

10. Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter Supporting Actor

I was surprised when I found that my father was a fan of Pulp Fiction. And I was surprised even more when he started talking about Le Big Mac.

11. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

My Dad really enjoyed 'Punchdrunk Love.' A sure sign of the Apocalypse if there ever was one.
    [​IMG]

12. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit

My Mom loves THE FOG and BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA. Normally she could care less about genre movies (she thinks SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE and DANCES WITH WOLVES are the world's greatest films). Never thought my John Carpenter obsession would rub off on her...

13. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

My parents have very different tastes in movies than I do. But we've simply come to just be glad that the other party had a good time at the movies. For example, they enjoyed Crocidile Dundee 3.

But I digress. My 90 year old great-grandmother -loves- big action movies. She never goes to the theater anymore, but man, stick her infront of HBO or something, and she'll have a blast, laughing and cheering and stuff. It's a lot of fun to watch 'em with her.

14. Kristian

Kristian Supporting Actor

I was surprised that my dad enjoyed Pirates of the Caribbean and Matchstick Men. He usually doesn't like a movie unless it has something to do with cars, planes or baseball.

I was pleasantly surprised when one of my cousins watched and loved the original Star Wars trilogy. Here's a guy who at one time called Spawn his favorite movie of all time... before even seeing it! I didn't think he would ever like watching movies that weren't "hip" new releases.

On the other hand, I've never been surprised at the movies my brothers like. We share the same tastes in movies and TV shows. The only movie I can remember us disagreeing on was Titanic.

15. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

My mom has no patience for cursing, debauchery or drug use in movies. Always the typical "the story wasn't bad, but I don't why they had to throw in all that [drugs, cursing, etc.] stuff." But all my life, when the movie 'Easy Rider' comes into conversation, she remarks how it is one of her all-time favorites.

16. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit

Another one I can't believe my Mom likes: Pulp Fiction. Weird. Cool, but still...weird.

17. DavidAC

DavidAC Stunt Coordinator

My parents are really into the Hellraiser movies which kinda blew me away, they said some of them weren't that good but the 2nd and 3rd I should check out.

18. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

19. Rob Bartlett

Rob Bartlett Stunt Coordinator

20. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

I was recently shocked by a movie that my mother did not like. She absolutely loves musicals, and forced my siblings and I to sit through countless showings of all the classic musicals for years growing up (which led to the strong aversion I had to them for many years). My wife got me Chicago for my birthday, and after watching it, I was sure my mother would love it. I let her borrow it one weekend when my grandmother was in town, then called her up and asked how she liked it. She wouldn't say at first, then said it put them all to sleep. I kept asking, and it turns out they turned it off after fifteen minutes. I still have no idea what she disliked about it, but she has absolutely no desire to give it a second chance.