What's new

Ever sold everything and left? (1 Viewer)

Trace Downing

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trace Downing
I did the same thing last year...well, sort of. I just moved across town.
I had a nice 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo with W/D and garage out in the SE part of Denver (Aurora). I was miserable. I fought traffic every day to work for 30-45 minutes each way. My friends wouldn't come and visit very often, because I was so far away from them. I'm single, and living among new parents and their screaming 3-7 year old kids was driving me up the wall. They yelled "Marco Polo!" at the top of their lungs all summer, as I overlooked the pool. I knew that it was time to move when the sweetest sound I hear is "Get your asses inside! Dinner's ready!"
For what, or who? Who says that suburban living is ideal? Who made the rule that a big place is best? Who was I trying to win approval from? Sure, a big place is nice, but you have to buy more crap to fill it up with furnishings. You also have to heat, dust, and clean the place.:rolleyes
I moved downtown, into the "bohemian" section of town. I'm in a small 720 sq ft. 1 bed, 1 bath condo with hardwood floors and am much happier. I sold off a bunch of crap out of the old place, and simplified my life. Denver Rescue Mission got about $500 worth of clothes, pots & pans, and a futon from me.
City living is really a bit simpler in most ways. The grocery stores sell smaller items for 1. I can drive or walk, bus, bike to work, because I went from 15 miles one way down to 2.6. I'm home in 7-10 minutes. The drone of cars passing is easier to tune out than a barking dog. My electric bill is only $20-25 a month, as opposed to $75-100 previously. With coin laundry in the basement, I'm done with everything in an hour and a half. I fill up my Mazda's 13 gallon tank once a month now. Cleaning the place is simpler, faster, and there's less places for the cat to run when I'm chasing her with the vacume.;)
Even my neighbors seem less stressed and friendlier. Maybe because nobody has a screaming brat!:D
The only things I miss about my old condo in suburbia was the W/D hookup (the quarter savings is still a pain), garage, and all that closet space. I got over most of that 4 months ago when my car showed some real oxidation, and I built a closet organizer. Besides, Maaco is 2 blocks away.:D

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I think Trace and others have really zeroed in on a main point: simplifying you life.

The more stuff you have, the more there is to worry about. I can recall coveting so many add-ons to my theater. I would think "If only I had that one more piece of equipemnt, then it would be perfect!" Of course, there is NO perfection this side of heaven. It becomes a nasty circle. Like the wise old man Patrick Sun said,
"The things you own end up owning you."
Nothing wrong with having nice things, but it is the coveting that can really eat away at a person. Stripping away all the toys has been a really good experience for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks