What's new

Ever regret selling a car?? (1 Viewer)

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
CJ, I'm not a VW nut, but I can tell you that you're not crazy. I drive a 1988 Honda CRX for exactly the same reasons as you drive your Jetta. In the fourteen years I've been driving it, I have yet to see anything I like better. I keep it in perfect mechanical condition, and I'll probably never sell it.

I sold my 1969 AMC Javelin in 1980. That was a fantastic car. It hurt a lot, but I got over it. When I think of what it would be like keeping it tuned and filling its thirsty gullet with high-octain gasoline, I'm glad it's gone. It would kill me to sell my CRX, though.

Brett_H

Second Unit
CJ,

I sold my Link Removed to buy my Link Removed . They're worlds apart in comfort and reliability, but you know what? I miss my Jetta like crazy (as well as the '88 GTI that it replaced.) Tight handling, Recaro interior, custom color, 400 watts of european-spec lighting that could practically take x-rays of the car ahead of me.... I really miss it. Of course, time does seem to dull the problems and make the good times seem that much better. My then girlfriend (now wife) just this weekend was telling the story of when we first started dating and my clutch cable broke on the way back from dinner one night, and how I told her "she'd better go inside" so that she wouldn't hear me cuss too much! Or the period of time that I had an exhaust leak an would show up every day to work kind of high and reeking from the fumes...

At lest I sold it to a fellow VW nut who to this day is taking good care of her. We're on a mailing list for Mark II VW's and I see him post from time to time. Some day, when I have more space and money, I WILL have another Mark II VW!

-Brett.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
At lest I sold it to a fellow VW nut who to this day is taking good care of her. We're on a mailing list for Mark II VW's and I see him post from time to time. Some day, when I have more space and money, I WILL have another Mark II VW!
great story, my first jetta was a mkII as well, it was an 86 gl. bought it for $1000, ran for 2 years flawlessly, and i never took care of the thing at all. i guess i wasnt concerned after a year, because it only cost me a grand, and i got more than my use out of it. well it ended up lasting two years, and only because i bought my mkIV jetta. the 86 wasnt worth much, so we decided to have some fun with a video camera and drive the thing into the ground. so youre thinking, 86 vw, 270,000 miles, ready to fall down, right? nope, we had trouble killing that thing, and even then, we couldnt completely do it. now i know its not a tank of anything, but after that night, i was completely sold on volkswagens. i'll never own anything else (unless i actually become an engineer and get a good job, M5 here i come). i think if i were to sell my mk I, i would only sell it to another vw nut, i would exercise as much care to ensure it was going to a good home as much as i would a pet that i had to give up. long live the dub!

CJ

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I paid $625 for that 62 Corvair Monza in the spring of 68, got $450 trade-in for it on the Corolla I bought in 72. $175 for 4 years of fun driving.

I have a sorta Jetta story, too, only mine was an '87 Toyota Corolla FX/16.

This was Toyota's answer to the Golf GTI, hatchback box with 1.6 liter DOHC 16 valve engine from the MR-2--7500rpm redline. Had 4 wheel discs and very slick shifting close-ratio 5 speed.

The car was 112 lbs heavier than the MR-2 and had 5 less hp due to exhaust plumbing. MR-2s were prohibitively expensive to insure, but the FX/16 had virtually the same performance. So few were sold that they never raised a blip on the insurance radar so I got an "economy car discount" instead of a sportscar penalty!

Toyota has yet to make a small sporty car nearly as good with any kind of practicality, so I now have an 01 Sentra SE.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
My parents sold their white, 1957 Chevy Belair convertable for $300CAN back in the 1970s. Power everything.

Granted, the thing was already a rust bucket, and the electrical was beginning to go (as they are notorious for) but that was one slick and stylish automobile.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
'87 Toyota Corolla FX/16
Oh, man, I remember those! What a sweet car! A sweet-natured golden retriever with the speed and agility of a greyhound. I was so close to deciding on buying one, but then Honda had to come out with their second-generation CRX and change my mind.

Oh, well. No regrets here.

------------------------------------------------------------

John, that 1970 Firebird looks amazing. I'm sorry about what happened to it.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III

I'm not laughing, the love of my life is my '88 Daytona (I named her Blossom:b) which I paid $660 for on ebay a year and a half ago. Most people don't understand why I prefer driving the car over my 2001 Tacoma which has been gathering dust in my garage for six months now.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
I do kind of regret selling my '94 Chevy Blazer, only because there was so much nostalgia attached to it. It was the only car I drove from the time I got my liscence through college, and it was a badass. The thing never stopped, even though there were a couple of dings that occurred over the years. If the radiator hadn't cracked, I would have tried to refurb it in some way or another, because I loved the body style. After 125,000 miles, 50,000 or so driven in Vermont Winter weather, I think that it was time to move on.

Leroy

Second Unit
The car: 1969 Mustang Mach I, 390 Big Block, 4 spd, Red w/black exterior, Wht/blk interior.

Reason: 10mpg in a non-AC car going 50 miles each way to work/college 5 days a week just wasn't gona cut it. Even though all I had left to restore was the interior and the purchase of a set of Magnum 500 wheels, it had to go so I could get something more economical.

The rub: About 2-3 months after my baby was gone, I was thumbing through an issue of Fast Fords (or whatever it was called) and lo and behold an article on big block mustangs. What did I discover? That only 972 1969 Mach I's with the 390 big block were produced that year and it was the last year for a big block in a regular production Mustang. Ya shoulda' seen my face. :frowning:

I never followed up on those numbers to check for their accuaracy, I figured the less I know the better!! She was a beauty.

rodney wiley

Second Unit
I had a very Nice 1967 Buick Electra 225. This guy kept after me to sell it to him and one day he came by when I was financially challenged so I gave in. I could have cried when he drove her away
:frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
rodney,

I know you'll get some flack about regretting the sale of a late-60's Tunaboat like that Deuce and a Quarter, but not from me.

Along with that li'l Corolla FX/16 and my beloved Corvair Monza I've also been the proprietor of a very nice 1969 Cadillac Eldorado--first gen fwd model with the V shaped rear window and rear quarter windows that rolled BACK instead of down!! This beast had a 472 cu. in. engine (That's about 8 liters to you young'uns) with 10.5 to one compression and a quadrajet carb about the size of an RV toilet. This thing had a totally flat front floor and a genuine leather bench seat that might seat 4 or 5 genXers. I owned this car at the same time as the FX/16, when it was about 21 years old. The original leather was nicely aged but in excellent shape, and the ac would freeze you out on a 105 degree Fresno summer afternoon. Working on the engine was a dream come true, you could almost stand next to it under the hood there was so much space around it.

There are 2 kinds of cars that ring my bell--little pocket rockets and full-on Detroit Iron Tunaboats. I someday hope to have a mid-70s Caddy Fleetwood sedan parked next to a Subaru WRX or Sentra SE-R spec IV in my dream garage.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty love hate when it comes to cars, after about 2 years it's time to go, and they're never missed.
my current car is going on 5 years now, and I'm ready to shove it off a cliff. Not to mention that WRX STI is tempting me, but there's no freaking chance I can afford one at 35k :frowning:

Chris Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
Ever regret selling a car??
Heh heh, probably every car I've ever owned. I get terribly attached to the big hunks of junk.

1976 Dodge Dart (nicknamed "drive by")
1981 1/2 Ford EXP (nicknamed "Eastland")
1985 Nissan 300ZX (two-seater with T-tops, "My Girl")
1987 Dodge Dakota (nicknamed "Landshark")
1989 Jeep Comanche (no name, just "The truck")

I miss them all dearly, for one reason or another. Lots of fun times in the Z, road trips in the Ford, etc. I especially regret losing the Dodge Dart, I actually hated that car when I had it. Within a month of letting it go, I decided I really liked that car. Oh well. I was 17 at the time...

What's really funny is that every single one of these cars gave me mondo problems.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks