What's new

Ever regret selling a car?? (1 Viewer)

MikePeroni

Stunt Coordinator
Well I may just be crazy but Im considering selling my classic Mustang(67'fastback). Ive had the car 5 years now, but 2 children in my life now have really changed my thinking alot.
Its a show quality car and all last summer I kept it covered damn near all the time. My kids are 1 and 2 so you guys with kids know how easily something can happen. Theres also no way the kids are going in there anytime soon either. Early Mustangs have a well know fuel-tank potential explosion problem. That all said, its an awesome ride that is alot of fun in the summer when I do drive it, which is getting less and less.
I definitely want to move again in the next few years and the extra 10-15k would certainly help...Any advise?? I feel ready to sell the 'baby' but dont want that twinge of regret that first 70 degree day...maybe a newer Mustang?? Hmmm:D

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I'm actually fearing the regret I will feel after selling my 3rd gen Maxima (1990). I know it's just a regular car to most people but most agree the 3rd generation of Maximas look the best besides having little things the newer ones don't (independent 4-wheel suspension for example). Yea it's got a weak engine and the tranny is on it's last leg but the car is so well put together I'm gonna miss it, even if I do get a newer one. I'm thinking about keeping it and doing a ZX swap with a big fat T/4 like my friend did but I think that's going kinda overboard when that money could go towards a nicer more modern sedan.

It's funny how we get attached to our cars. :)

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Mike, I can only semi-relate. I had a 72 Nova bought when I was 17 in 1982. In 86 when I finished college, everyone laughed at me for keeping it as a second car even though by that time I had bought an 85 Mustang (one of the ridiculous 4 cyl LX's)...By 1990, the Nova was catching interest from some local car guys. It didn't make people ooh and ahh like I'm sure your Mustang does, but it had a fan base. I ended up selling it in 1995 for $4,000.

I had two kids by then, no time to take the car out and no time to deal with its endless carb problems. I kind of regret it, especially now that my son is getting interested in cars but it's not like I think about it everyday or even every month. Just once in a while.

I don't have any real advice for you, other than to say that sale of your Mustang would be a big chunk of change to put toward a house...Something I think you'll find a much greater sense of satisfaction in owning.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Keep the Mustang. Sooner or later you'll want to get another one and it won't be as good as the one you already have.

If anyone knows the whereabouts of a metallic blue 62 Corvair Monza coupe, CA license number LYU650, let me know. I've missed it every single day since 1972 when I traded if for a reliable but soulless Toyota Corolla.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I kinda regret selling my 1991 Honda Accord LX 4 door for a 2001 Toyota Camry LX. I know, I know....there are millions of these cars just in the typical supermarket parking lot. But the Honda just feels right; the Camry is missing something. Maybe soul.

Julie K

Screenwriter
Don't do it. You will always regret it and will never find a satisfactory replacement.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I've missed it every single day since 1972 when I traded if for a reliable but
soulless Toyota Corolla.
Now that is an interesting trade! But at least you do have the excuse that you work at a Toyota dealership!

Now if you trade the Corolla with the MR2 (w/ the slightly tweaked Corolla engine), there's soul!

Jay

'02 MR2 Spyder SMT, Antiflex plate, BMW antenna, painted calipers, J-spec badge.

John_E

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

I am in a similar situation as you. I have a new house, wife, a 2-yr. old and one on the way. I have a '65 Mustang that I've had for almost 13 years and is in excellent condition. I have no time for it at all. I have barely driven it over the past 2 years, but I will not get rid of it. I took the plates off about a year ago and put minimal insurance on it (in case my garage falls on it). It barely costs any money, and in a few years when my kids are bigger, I'll have plenty of time to enjoy it. You will surely regret it if you sell it....I know that I would.

Also--I believe that you can buy an aftermarket firewall that fits between your gas tank and the back seat. My uncle works for a machine shop, and he made one for me years ago.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
There isn't a day that I don't regret selling my 1985 Honda Civic 1500s.

It was just a normal car, but it was part of me. I new how the car felt, and could tell when something wasn't just right.

I'm still looking for a replacement, but preferably a 1987.

Brent

MikePeroni

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies. I seems most people think I should hang on it it. How about this plan: Sell the car for 16-18k. Take 10k right to the bank towards my next house. With the remaining 6-8k pick up an early 90s LX Notchback 5.0(Which Ive always loved). Now I could have my Stang 'fix' for not alot of dough, plus drive it to work(something I dont do with the classic)...not to mention no worrying about getting caught in the rain...ect. Just a thought, but those LX 5.0s were BAD!!

Jonas Pearson

Stunt Coordinator
Don't get rid of it!! I sold my 2 door sparkley metallic baby blue 1972 Buick Skylark in 1991 for a pittance when I went away to college. It had a 350, a black interior with factory bucket-type seats, and a console stirrup shifter. I look at the pictures now and weep. I took that car to my prom! Now that I have the dough I could have maintained it easily. You can try to replace a type of car that you like in the future, but if it has sentimental value, keep it!

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I'm not entirely sure what the collector-car market is in your part of the country, But in my area (and a quick review of Ebay for ballpark figures) you'd be lucky to get $8,000 for a '67 mustang fastback. Even in show-car condition.

If it had rare factory options you might get more for it, but the classic mustang market is a buyers market, not a sellers market.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
My vote would be to sell it. Sure you'll regret getting rid of the car but can you afford to have an expensive toy like that just collecting dust in the garage? You can buy a cheaper toy for yourself and put a down payment on a house with $10,000.

MikePeroni

Stunt Coordinator
Well maybe its a Detroit area thing but based on what Ive seen at car shows and cruises I know I can get 15 for it. The car was a complete ground up restoration....the Candy apple red dont hurt either:D I dont know, this is such a hard decision. Obviously having 10 grand to move with is probably the sensible thing to do. God knows its hard as hell to save money with 2 kids. Oh well...:angry:

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
Ever regret selling a car??

Are you kidding me!

I sold a got rid of a near perfect 1969 Superbee. And if that wasn't enough, I got rid of a 1967 Pontiac LeMans.

Yes, I say I regret that, even if it was 20 years ago.

Marc S Kessler

Stunt Coordinator
It hurts to think about my selling my 1996 IMPALA SS three years ago. Not only was this car cherry with low miles, Hypertech worked on it to use it for a demo in an advertising publication. They put over $3k in mods just for us letting them do this. I guess the only plus was getting more than I paid for it. I still regret it to this day.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
many of you will laugh, but i have an 84 jetta gli, and its my favorite car of all time, i cant find a car that i like driving more. i like smaller cars, and this car is just perfect. ive had a new jetta, and was going back to school, so that was sold. and i'm telling you, i like the 84 jetta better. the 00 jetta got 36 mpg hwy, and the 84 gets 34. not bad for a 19 year old car with 166,000 miles on it. it needs a little bit of work to be a good car again, but only minor things. prob only a new catalytic converter, i'm hoping. the body and motor are both very strong, and the original paint is decent. i'm hoping there are a couple other vw nuts lurking in this thread to tell me i'm not crazy. why do i love this car so much?! i would regret selling it, especially given how little money i could get for it.

CJ

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Yep. I completely restored a 1967 MG Midget. It looked exactly like this guys in the link below. I miss that car, sold it about 15 years ago. Although, with it's duel side-draft carbs, it was a pain in the ass to keep tuned up and running. I rebuilt every inch of that car, painted it a deep burgundy and put on a white convertible top and white spoke wheels. What I miss most was cruising Main St. and PCH, Huntington Beach, CA with the top down at summer time.

http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...page_id=214494

Peace Out~:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks