What's new

Ever heard of "Earthquake" (1974) DVD (1 Viewer)

Mike_Ped

Second Unit
I've heard from someone I know that this 1974 (starrign Charleton Heston movie has monster bass.

Is this true?

Second question, does the DVD reflect this bass or is it cheezy?

Thanx,

Mike

Jeff

Supporting Actor
It did when I saw it in the theater when I was a kid. They used special external speakers that were out on the floor infront of the screen and it felt like the floor was shaking whenever there was a quake. Kids were scared and left the theater. :)
Jeff

Joseph_W

Stunt Coordinator
I think they used the same sound system for "Midway" at about the same time frame. I had always assumed this was the beginning of putting subwoofers in theaters. I saw a movie where Midway was playing next door. The effects from the attack scenes were pretty disruptive!

Joe

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I believe the only movies to use Sensurround were Earthquake, Midway, and Rollercoaster. The DVD of Earthquake does NOT include "monster bass" - it's a very thin and drab affair. Both the Midway and Rollercoaster DVDs provide LFE tracks which increase their levels of depth, but it's still nothing stunning - you'll heard much deeper and stronger bass from modern movies.

BTW, reviews of all three DVDs appear on the website in my sig...

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
I saw this flick in the theater when I was a kid too. They had these large Cerwin-Vega subs and it was pretty cool. The system they used was called Sensoround (sp). I saw Battlestar Galactica using this same system. One word sums it up; awesome.

The DVD release is widescreen and supposedly has the sensoround track on the sub track of the DVD. I have the DVD but have never watched it.

K-Mart often has it for $7. Also, the newer copies are in keepcases like most new Goodtimes releases are.

One thing I never forgot was the elevator scene. Some things get in your mind and never leave.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
The woofers were used to add lots of vibrations on the theater floor and seats. I remember seeing "Earthquake" at the Chinese Theatre in Hollywood. They had a net over the auditorium to keep you safe if any pieces of the ceiling might fall on you.

Jeff Leeds

Stunt Coordinator
I have this DVD, paid 6 bucks for it. First off, the movie was nearly as campy as I thought it was going to be from my memory of it in the 70's. It was pretty cool, well worth the 6 bucks. For as old as it was, the movie was really nostalgic for me, and it was called Sensurround. I saw this movie in Westwood, CA where the biggest and baddest movie houses were in the 70's and 80's (Westwood still has more single screen first run movie theaters than just about anywhere else in the world).

I would say take a shot with the 6 bucks, it was pretty cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks