What's new

Ever head to "2nd hand" cinemas ($1-4/movie)? (1 Viewer)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
but see, that's why i love the feel/experience even if the floor is sticky, smells like cat urine, etc. no kidz, no crying baby, i can wallow in the crudiness of the place... but still get high-value in big screen enjoyment =).

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I personally don't care to go to the dollar feature places. Seems like when I have in the past, the film is in pretty bad shape. (Lines, distortion, bad audio etc..) And usually by the time it reaches those cinemas, it's pretty close to being on dvd. If I can't see it in a first run cinema...then it's home watching it for me. :)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
even with my 92" front projection @home... is still no match for 400"+ screen. plus, the supersharp qualities of film, even with the dirt+grime is still preferable to my current SD-DVD... so until HD-DVD/BR is affordable, i think i'd still prefer to watch my movies on the "big screen".

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

I'm totally with you in theory. And I had a fairly nice projection system too until recently (click linky below :) )....108 inch screen and all was waaaaay better than the discount theaters were I live. Not even close. Big screen is definitely the way to see movies, especially event type films. But if the quality is so bad it can ruin the experience. :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah, I'm curious too. Not to pry, but you have mentioned this in a number of threads without providing any explanation. :)

We had a cheap theater here for a number of years, but it's now back to first-run showings.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Well, I moved and just needed to sell it. Wanted to move with as little as possible-kind of a starting over thing. :). Nearly killed me though when I moved it all out ;) Club Timobi Wan will be rebuilt though. My plan is to have a similar setup in place by the end of May 2007 or the early part of the summer. Could be sooner???? I still have the sub though. :). My projector, while terrific, was only 480p, and the new one I will get will be Hi-Def. :)

CoreyII

Second Unit
Just caught "Waist Deep" with Tyrese Gibson and Megan Goode at a second run theater, only paid 2 bucks. I'm glad I got a chance to see the film on the big screen before it goes to DVD.

It's a decent action/drama that didn't get released in as many theaters as Superman or the Da Vinci Code and because of it's performance, it didn't stay in the big ( or first run) theaters for long.

I'm trying to catch M:I-III and X-3 one more time before both flicks head to DVD.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
well Tim, you moving into a house? if i were doing that, i'd mortgage a 1080p projector that accepts 1080p over HDMI + 1 replacement bulb into the house payments. the FP is just as a part of the house as the toilet ;). but i don't have a house yet and that'd just be me =). *i don't encourage anyone to get into paying more interest+debt, just waxing philosophy*.

meanwhile, even WITH a 1080p and a house that allows me 200" screen max, it's still lacking compared to 400"+ screens. it's hard to imagine an avg. middle class owning property that can house a 400"+screen. that's why i think 1st and 2nd run cinemas still have their place. to replace the cinema experience altogether you literally need to HAVE a cinema yourself... and i don't think most people can afford that.

thus, it's still worth it to check out the indies or non-action films on 2nd run if you can find it. 1st run is reserved for action films like mi3, x3... unless the 2nd run has nice surrounds.

Bonnie*F

Stunt Coordinator
We have one of the second-run theaters in one of the suburbs. It used to show Rocky Horror at midnight every Saturday. Now, just movies for 1.50 and $1 on Tuesdays.
Looked it up and today is The DeVinci Code and Over the Hedge.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
Get thee to Portland, Oregon, people, for 2nd run heaven.

There is a CHAIN of theaters out here that show nothing but 2nd run movies. They're owned by the McMenamins brewpubs. Meaning there's like 5 of them in Portland, and they all serve BEER and liks and pizza and such. And the ticket prices hardly ever top 3 bucks.

And then on top of that, there's COMPETITION with McMenamin's from a couple independents, like the Laurelhurst Theater (a 4 screen) the Clinton Street, The Mount Hood Theater (frigging HUGE--with DTS and Dolby Digital as well) and the Academy Theater (1 Screen) that do the exact same thing: Beer and Pizza and a 2 month old movie for 3 bucks an admission.

McMenamin's still has the lead though. The Kennedy School Theater is located in an old, converted Elementary school that is now a combo hotel/restaraunt/5 or 6 bars/Movie Theater. Their auditorium is pretty decent sized, and the chairs are almost all couches and end tables. The Bagdad is a classic old one screen, seating about 700, with a beautiful balcony. No couches there, but tables in front of you to set down your brew-ha and pizza.

It's really a great place to check out movies. Our show (check my sig) hosts midnight movies at the Bagdad the first friday of every month, we get 35mm prints of stuff like Lebowski, Aliens, Caddyshack, Evil Dead 2, Spinal Tap, and this month it's Monty Python. Probably wouldn't be able to get this done if the 2nd run theaters in the area weren't so healthy.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Holy crap, Robert. The midnight movie thing sounds awesome. I wish there were a theater in my area that showed older movie prints. I want to see stuff like Aliens, Jaws, etc. that I couldn't see due to being way too young (or not born at all).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks