Ever get any great deals?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Jeff/C, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Jeff/C

Jeff/C Auditioning

On Boxing Day, Zellers had Three's Company S5 on sale for $6.97 (CDN) [​IMG]

Just wondering if any one else found any crazy deals like this before...

2. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

I like many of the British ITC series that have been released by A&E Home Video, but A&E's "Cult TV" DVDs are, for the most part, incredibly overpriced. About two years ago, I came across Edward R. Hamilton, Bookseller and their online sister store, HamiltonBook.com and found that they had great closeout prices on selected A&E releases. Just two weeks ago, I picked up both season sets of Robert Vaughn's 70s spy series for around $44.00. These sets originally listed at $79.95 each! I also picked up set 1 of A&E's Benny Hill releases for $14.95 and picked up a two-DVD set of "The Saint" episodes for $7.95 that originally listed at $39.95. Though their inventory is limited, Hamilton has been a source of some really great deals. Unfortunately, they only ship within the U.S.

3. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

don't recall any bargins that good, but recently i've been pretty happy with some deals going around like the Buy 1 Get 1 free offer on the Sony sets, where i was able to pick up 2 seasons of Starsky & Hutch for about $18 per season.

then last fall the Warner sets were under $20 at several retailers.

also, with Media Play going out of business i was able to get a whole bunch of Dark Shadows sets fairly cheap- 3 at $32 each, and 3 more at $22 each.
    a shame i hadn't waited as i could have gotten them all at $22 since the ones i wanted were among the last of the stock to get sold off- but the average price per set was still a good bit better than what i could have swung at a DDD 20% off sale.

4. Jeff/C

Jeff/C Auditioning

We should post here whenever we find good deals so others can get a head's up!

5. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

I was able to pick-up season one of 24 for $19.99 a while back.

6. AlexF

AlexF Supporting Actor

Alex
  7. Josh_HI

Josh_HI Second Unit

The only great deal I ever saw on a box set was one time when I was at Target they had Punky Brewster Season 1 for $9.99. I was like that for a week or two and then went back to like $24.99. I felt horrible since I had already bought it for the high price.[​IMG]

8. MichelleB

MichelleB Stunt Coordinator

The only good deal I ever got was the BestBuy 'Buy One Get
    One Free' sale.

9. JonathanBB

JonathanBB Stunt Coordinator

Nope, I never find any good deals.[​IMG] Except for the time I paid 50% off for Lois and Clark.[​IMG]

10. Ravi K

Ravi K Supporting Actor

Firefly for $23.99
    Wonderfalls for around $24
    Band of Brothers for $6.99 because of Target's screw-up
    Seinfeld 5 and 6 for about $17 each w/ Best Buy's B1G1 free sale

11. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Hey, Ravi,

That's got to be an all-time record of a deal [​IMG] Sure wish I'd have paid that for B.O.B.

- "Raining this morning in Dallas....finally" (drought area)

12. michael_ks

michael_ks Screenwriter

Bob:

Was that "The Protectors" that you purchased for $22.00 per season? What is your impression of that series? I have the complete "Danger Man", "Man in A Suitcase" and all episodes A&E has released for "The Saint" and was thinking about picking up this ITC series (in addition to possibly "The Persuaders!" and "Department S" if I can find it for a reduced price). Thanks for the link--I'll check Hamilton now and then.

My greatest bargain ever was picking up both seasons of "The Outer Limits" (OL-63) for around $35. I recall that Bob jumped on this fantastic deal as well (around 70 cents per episode!).

13. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

14. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

Michael, "The Protectors" certainly isn't in the same league as either "Danger Man" or "Man in a Suitcase" but it's very entertaining and, yes, it was $21.95 for each season (cheap by A&E standards). Like the original "Danger Man," each episode was made for a half hour slot so don't look for much in the way of character development . . . the emphasis is more on action. Though he was best known for his "Supermarionation" series, I happen to like Gerry Anderson's live action series, "UFO," "The Protectors," "Space: 1999," and "Space Precinct" (unavailable on U.S. DVD) better than the various "puppet" series. "The Protectors" is really an atypical production for him because it's in the spy/intrigue genre and Anderson worked mainly in the Sci-Fi arena. Incidentally, HamiltonBook.com also has set 1 of "The Persuaders" for $24.95 and its the better of the two sets available. It contains 13 episodes (to set two's 11 episodes) and, more importantly, Roger Moore contributes two rare (for him) episode commentaries. "The Persuaders" is light and loads of fun and Tony Curtis looks to be having a good time. ITC really made some great series! One additional item about HamiltonBook.com . . . they currently offer a free shipping coupon code, 4642 (I used it this morning for some books and it was working). To see their full list of DVDs, go to their site, select the "Power Search," then select "DVD" under "Binding/Media" and you'll see the full listing of their DVDs, a number of which come from A&E.

15. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

I recently got the 6-disc Gunsmoke 50th Anniversary Collection at Costco for only $34.34- no kidding!

16. David*P

David*P Supporting Actor

David
    I got the first season of the Dick Van Dyke Show for $20.00 off of Amazon when they had it mispriced for like five days...people kept saying they would send a message saying that I would have to buy it for the regular price (about $60.00) but I didn't[​IMG]

I also bought s.3 for only $20.00 but that's only because I got a different TV show for Christmas one year and didn't want it so I took it back and exchanged it for s.3 (they didn't have s.2) and just had to pay $20.00 extra. I'm hoping to some how acquire the other three season of DVDS for only $20.00 a piece...

17. EmmaAU

EmmaAU Agent

My favorite deals:

season 1 of "24"--$14.99 amazon.com (couple of years ago)
    seasons 2 & 3 of "24"---$19.99 each (this was last Dec. at BestBuy)
    "Lethal Weapon 1-3" Legacy (DC) set---$18.72 (last Dec. at DDD)
    "Without a Trace" season 1 --$19.97 (amazon.com last Oct.)

18. StevenWillard

StevenWillard Auditioning

I picked up buck rogers the complete series for $19.99 on boxing day,it was originally like 95 bucks.Good things come to those who wait.Also got the hulk collection for 20 bucks from walmart on boxing day.

19. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    I got all 7 seasons of Star Trek: Voyager from Amazon for $385. That is almost half of what they usually go for. I think it was a mistake, but they honored it.

20. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

Even though I got blasted by everyone, and their brother for posting a thread about The Jeff Foxworthy show season 1,(apparently no one in the world likes this sitcom except me) it is usually available at Wal-Mart for only $5.50. All 18 episodes on a 2 disc set. It's not a bad show, and although season 2 is better,(which never got released) season 1 has some very good episodes.