ever get a broken DVD from netflix?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Philip_G, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

weird, got my usual 3 dvd's today and one was broken in half. Wonder how that happened.

2. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

Surely youv'e seen Ace Ventura Phil. [​IMG]
    I've never had one broken, but I've had a couple that were apparantly used as S.O.S. pad experiments. Nothing worse than watching a movie and having it unreadable for the last 15 minutes. [​IMG]

3. Michael Toguchi

Michael Toguchi Stunt Coordinator

I have had 2 come in the mail cracked. I just send them back with the 'damaged/unplayable' box checked and they send a new one. The second disk has always been flawless. I have noticed a number of disks that have been poorly handled, do people just not know how to handle DVDs?

4. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

in a word? yes.

5. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

In the many discs that I've received from them, I've only had problems with three:

1. "Cabin Fever" was completly cracked in half from the center of the disc to the outside (after watching the movie, that might have been a good thing)

2. Another had a very bad scratch on it which rendered the disc unplayable

3. One movie took over two weeks to arrive at my house.

Aside from those three situations, I've had nothing but great service from them.

6. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

Only one, but that might have happened in the mail. Considering how thin the packaging is, it's amazing what good condition the disks are in.

7. Will.MA

Will.MA Stunt Coordinator

I've been a Netflix customer for just over two years now and I am fortunate to say I've never received one bad disc. Not one broken, not one unreadable. And I usually have a two-day turnaround from the mailbox back to my door. Can you tell I'm a big fan? Netflix rentals + THX Cinema at home beats $24 for two tickets + concessions at Lowe's anyday!

8. Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh Supporting Actor

I've been a customer for about 3 years now. I've had several come unplayable or broken. Like Philip and Michael, I have to ask who these retards are who use steel wool as their "disc doctors" (can't remember the reference from Ace Ventura).

The worst was when I rented Payback (mmm, Lucy). The first disc had scratches so that I couldn't watch the last 20-30 minutes. Argh -- how does it end? So I went online, reported it, and got my replacement. The second disc was even worse -- it wouldn't play at all! I guess I'll never know how that movie ends.

On a comparison note, I've been trying Blockbuster's online offering for a couple months now and have already seen at least 3 unplayable discs (not to mention their unbearable slow turnaround). So while Netflix has the occasional bad disc, they're way better than BB IMHO.

9. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Yes, I have received a broken disc from them, among other subtle defects. Dried macaroni(FMV Brand), chocolate, some other weird organic matter and poop. Needless to say, I left them(TrailerFlix) a long time ago. I joined GreenCine and have loved them ever since.
    Macaroni Free

10. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

You can tell the brand? [​IMG]

11. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler

It's curled a bit different than Kraft.

12. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

I've gotten a few, but we just mark it as broken on the package, send it back, and get a new one right away. Netflix is really good about all of it.

13. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Never had a problem with Netflix. One time I got the wrong disc and they sent a replacement right away.

My parents on the other hand joined last week and got two of their first three on Sat and the third hasnt arrived yet and its Thursday!

14. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I get a disc that's wrong, too scratched or lost about once a month. Out of the high volume and frequency of DVDs I rent, it's a small drawback.

15. Bill Buklis

Bill Buklis Supporting Actor

Bill Buklis
    I've never had a wrong disc shipped to me from NetFlix and I've had them for at least a couple years now. Although one time I did receive an erroneous disc, but it was not NetFlix's fault.

I received two discs at once in the mail - not unusual by any means. After opening them up, my wife gives me a strange look. There was a disc for "Pole dancers championship" (or something like that) filmed at a strip club in Minnesota. "I didn't order that, honey. Honest!"[​IMG]

After looking at the address label I noticed it was intended for someone else a couple of miles away. The two envelopes were slightly stuck to each other and the mail man didn't notice.

16. Bill Buklis

Bill Buklis Supporting Actor

Bill Buklis
    I did receive a slightly cracked disc once. Here's the weird thing. It was a dual sided disc with widescreen on one side and fullscreen on the other.

One the side with the widescreen label (which should contain the full screen data, right?) there was a good size crack that didn't go all the way through to the other side. However, when testing the disc, only the full screen version was able to play. The widescreen version was damaged.

Can't figure that one out. Doesn't the "back" side of the disc contain the playable information with the "label" on the other side. It only makes logical sense for the full screen version not to play, but sadly it was not the case.

17. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Huh. This is the first damaged disc I've been sent, and I usually get 6 movies a week, but I've only been with them for ~2 months

18. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

No, they know, they just don't care. [​IMG]

19. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

you can do this? how? i usually mark the dvd defective and they send me another one.

is reporting online a quicker turn-around? not that it's a big deal...i guess there's a dc in west-sac somewhere...so i usually get them pretty quick regardless.

oh...to answer the question...i've probably received about three or so. considering the abuse these things get from the customers/postal carriers, that's a pretty good ratio.

20. Jeff D Han

Jeff D Han Supporting Actor

I've been a member for almost 2-1/2 years now, and
    I've received only 4 or 5 movies that wouldn't play
    because of physical damage. Netflix is good about
    sending a replacement. They are a great service, and
    I wouldn't want to try any competitors.