Ever feel like HDTV is doomed due to marketing?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John-Miles, Aug 8, 2002.

1. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

At lunch today i swung by the local rogers cable outlet, and lo and behold they had a nice 34" toshiba widescreen set up with HDTV being displayed..... and let me tell you crap dosent even begin to describe it. I have seen HDTV on a decently set up tv, but this was just silly, the red push was horrible, and the overall picture was garbage.

i basically can compare it like this. (in more or less equal quality steps)

my old citizen color tv on cable feed
    this HDTV display model i saw at rogers
    my current HDTV on a cable feed
    and finally a properly set up HDTV with HDTV feed

i never realized basic calibrations could make such a difference.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Showrooms are rarely good places to audition sets; they are almost always poorly set up and running on a poor cable feed that has been split no telling how many times. Far better to look at high-end displays in a boutique-type, non-chain establishment.

3. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Oh I know, it just kind of struck me that the people selling the HDTV with only one set to have calibrated.... and they couldn't even be bothered to put the best face on.....

4. Jonathan Wong

Jonathan W
    I've seen something even worse in Walmart in my neighborhood. They were displaying a Samsung rear projection 16:9 HD monitor with a full-screen version movie in full mode. Do they know what is OAR?

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Of course they don't, Jonathan. They wouldn't know an OAR from an ER.

6. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

7. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I think he was just recommending DVDs from Vivid [​IMG]

8. Thik Nongyow

Thik Nongyow Stunt Coordinator

To answer the header topic, no. The FCC will ensure this will not be the case in the U.S. For the rest of the world, each government has to make the effort to ensure that HDTV will be successful.

For chain stores, if they do not set up their HDTVs correctly and they could not sell, it is their problem. Perhaps people should inform the manufactures on how their authorized dealers are displaying their products.

9. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

I hate it when stores don't display everything RIGHT. I was at Sears a couple weeks ago. All the HDTVs were showing something from Dish HD Net and it seemed like stuff was getting cut off from the sides, even though, it filled up the screen. Probably all got horrible overscan or something. But it seemed like circles looked like flat ovals. ALL of them were like that. I couldn't fix it on this one TV either. So it HAD to be the way they connected it. And on this 4x3 HDTV, they had it zoomed, so I zoomed it back out to letterbox it. Then when I turned around, some asshole zoomed it again.

Another thing! They had a Progressive Scan DVD player playing a Progressive Scan demonstration DVD on a normal 4x3 TV SET. I'm like, WTF? Now THAT is rediculous. If I ever worked in one of them stores, first thing I'd do is connect them TVs CORRECTLY!!!!

10. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

I hear what you guys are saying, but what i found really sad was this wasent even a store selling tv's

this was a cable store, the people selling the content. I can understand how the time is not taken to properly set up dozens if not hundreds of tv's but this was one tv that will NEVER be sold. sad.....

11. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt

12. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Very funny, but if you have ever been on the internet (umm yeah i guess thats all of us) youd know the sad truth is that such a promotion would likely skyrocket the sales of HDTV's. more real than real programming. [​IMG]